Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Melted Number 1 Piston

ncoh

If anyone could help I would be most grateful_ my landcruiser lost power and when the engine lid was removed number one piston was completely melted- the others are fine and water/oil were fine- the only thing I had noticed was some white smoke when I started the engine- toyota are quoting nearly £10000 for a new engine ( and that is the recommendation as there appears to be no reason for the melting?)- it's an 06 reg and has done 100000 miles without trouble. I'm wondering if this is a problem with this make and whether reconditioned engines are my only option? I don't know alot about cars but was thinking this car would last longer than this given the cost.

In addition, I have just contacted toyota and my car is subject to a recall which rather helpfully they have said would have been coming shortly! Any advice on how to proceed I would be most grateful for.

Hi Nicola,

Sorry to read about your Landcruiser, I've had several down the years and non have given me a minutes trouble. Moving on, a few questions.

Has a Toyota main dealer stripped the engine for inspection or is it a local garage / other ?

Does your LC have a comprehensive Toyota Service history ?

Is it a one owner vehicle, if not did you buy it from a Toyota Dealer ?

My local garage has stripped it down and the number 1 cylinder has completely melted- I have owned it since new but it was bought from a dealership in Sussex and I am no longer near one- services has been done but not as regularly as I should have by my local garage. The recall it seems is going to be for the copper seal which can lead to total engine failure such as this with no warning- the modals are from 2004-2006. The problem is not checked as part of any service with toyota- and though this problem was part of a volutary recall we have never been contacted even though we still own the house from where we initially purchased the vehicle.

It's unfortunate the car isn't with a Toyota dealer, it would have given you some leverage when involving customer relations in your case. I would speak to customer relations directly but to be perfectly honest, with lack of a full dealer history and the fact that the car is now seven years old I think you might struggle to get anything in the way of a good will contribution, even with a potential missed re-call.

However, never say never and have a go, I have only ever had to involve C.R once and they were excellent. Finally, trust this to happen just as you were looking to buy a new LC4... :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I've had exact same problem my lc4 2006 with 70000 miles on clock, lost power on M/Way at 65 mph this is problem caused by copper injector seals which should have been replaced with aluminium ones but Toyota never recalled these vehicles I have been in touch with them & they say if I pay for a Toyota diagnostic + dealership labour to dismantle engine ( £90 per hour ) they may consider a gesture of goodwill of part payment towards cost of parts as my warranty has expired. I have already had a diagnostic done & No1 injector replaced at a cost of £700 which never solved the issue now I require another engine I feel we should be taking Toyota to court & claim them for NEGLIGENCE UNDER THEIR DUTY OF CARE. Toyota keep moving the goalpost had they attepted ( which they did not ) to let us know then we would have had the injector seals replaced will update you on prices I have requested for replacement engine Regards Alex

VOSA ruled that this issue was not a safety recall, because of this Toyota cannot get access to the DVLA database of current owners. The only method of contact they can use is the records held at dealer level. If you are known to your dealer and have an affected vehicle then you will have been contacted.

Check if your car is affected here: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3Cnone%3E&edname=Owners-Info-Recall&id=Owners-Info-Recall&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=Mall

if it is contact your dealer ASAP.

If you have suffered an issue and have full Toyota service history Toyota have been paying for repairs, if you don't have full Toyota history then they pay on a sliding scale once a dealer has confirmed that the failure is caused by faulty injector seals, considering Age, Mileage and what Toyota history you have. The older, more mileage and poorer your Toyota history the less they contribute.