Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Personal Help Please

michaelg26

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying an iq-2 but would like some advice from people that live with these cars on a daily basis, I'm looking for a car that is cheap to run with good mpg's

All advice welcome

Hmmmm... cause this is an iQ forum... I would suggest an iQ.... :baby:

And I love the CVT, but that's harder on the MPG... :driving:

Thought people here would share opinions of their experiences lol what's a cvt?

CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission - a clutchless transmission that doesn't rely on fixed gear ratios like a conventional automatic, instead has an infinitely variable range of ratios.

DAF (a Dutch manufacturer) pioneered the use of CVT's in vehicles.

I've had my iQ 2 a year now and drive it every day with a big smile on my face. In 2 years time when the lease is up I will swop if for a new one. I can't make it any clearer than that what fantatsic car it is ( and I've driven and owned some very "nice" cars).

Hi Michael,

I bought a second had IQ in late Jan 2013, so I'm quite new to owning an IQ.

To get "very best" MPG out of them the one to go for is Manual 1.0ltr.

You can expect "in my experience" between 45 MPG to 65 MPG this very much depends upon your driving style and where you are driving it. Very long runs it could be more.

If you do very high miles each year you might want to consider a diesel car instead of petrol IQ, as they can be cheaper to run for people who do very high miles.

If you buy second hand IQ make sure it has latest EGR valve fitted, as this is a well documented problem with early IQ's

Later or new IQ's will also have 5 year Toyota warranty in UK, that also could be usfull

If you wish to carry 4 people often don't go for the IQ as its a bit small for that in my view.

Read all the Toyota IQ reviews in internet via a "google" search that will give you lots of further info.

Positive Regards, Bob

Aygo, Diesel Yaris (Mk1 preferred for the least problems, esp. for mostly city driving!) and the Hybrid Yaris also have very good mpg, 'tho not as nice on the inside as the iQ (Although the Yarisusses have a lot more carrying capacity!)

I bought second hand as my budget was only £5000 I won't pay any more than that for a car, based upon principle, as money spent an cars it just about how much you want to throw away as they are a depreciating asset in 99% of cases.

I bought second hand as my budget was only £5000 I won't pay any more than that for a car, based upon principle, as money spent an cars it just about how much you want to throw away as they are a depreciating asset in 99% of cases.

For not much more than your £5000 I will have leased a BRAND NEW iQ2 for 3 years at 0% interest ( with a VERY small deposit by way of PX for an ancient MAZDA).

I don't consider one penny of it as being thrown away as it has been the cost of providing me with daily use of a great little car.

All in all pretty good value ( cost/value - important difference)

Leasing is becoming an extremely common way of having a new car every 3 years. You just have to get out of this "throwing money away" mind set. This is often at odds with thinking that a car falling to less than 50% of it's original value in 3 years is quite acceptable.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all your comments and view re leasing, all very intresting.

I guess I'm just used to many of my (not new) older cars lasting me for between 5-10 years, then me selling them for about half the price I paid for them with total cost outlay in the start of say £2,000 to begin with and then selling the car say 5 years later for about £1,000.

My last example was my last car a year 2000 S80 Volvo, bought it about 5 years ago for less than £2000 I just sold it this year in 2013 for £1000 on Auto Trader, was sold within 4 hrs of me placing the advert. (it was almost as good as a new one) !

So cost of ownership (depreciation) for me has often been less than £200 per year plus the Tax / Insurance / Petrol & Services that I do myself at quite a small cost.

All my many other various new cars over the last 40 years in various countries across the globe have been company cars that just came with the job and got replaced every 3 years or about 60,000 miles with another new one of my choice.

Now I have the little IQ we will see how this one goes !

My IQ insurance costs also are quite low (£130 or so, fully comp) having about 9+ years plus no claims, and only doing 5000 miles per year now, and of course no road tax cost. I will do all the services myself again, its keeps me busy !

After the IQ has "expired" I might just go for a carefully selected "classic car" and watch it "appreciate in value" over the next 10 years until i perhaps will then drop dead of old age ! Not that that will matter as I carn't take it with me on that journey !

After more than 45+ years of motoring, perhaps I am just living in the past ?

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Hi Bob,

hmmmmm ... classic cars . Now there's a topic where we will part company, Ceratinly if we want to talk about throwing money!

I've never seen the appeal. Many of the cars people get excited about were cr*p when they were new. In the 21st century I would fell very vulnerable on the roads in a car designed in the 60's. Basically, you will look really cool , right up until the point something big runs into you at 70mph.

I'll take my 9 air bags, ABS, traction control and the more or less 100% certainty that it will start when I turn the key ( press button ) over some relic restored form a previous era.

Also not sure about classics appreciating - Possible exception being Nick ( Pink Floyd) Mason's Ferrari and E-Type that I saw at his house in Corsham last weekend. The Ferrari is worth £20 Million (apparently)

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r501/nickkr/IQForum/IMG_21742_zps8fd8da06.jpg

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r501/nickkr/IQForum/IMG_2164_zpscb86f1e9.jpg

Hi Nick,

I did say that I was living in the past, and am probably a "Die Hard" Old Fashioned motorist that likes older technology.

Having driven accident free for about 20+ years I guess I have managed to dodge the accidents, including driving all over Africa and Asia and Europe for many years.

30,000 Miles a year was my average annual driving distance for quite a few years.

Sorry I'm not very inspired with our modern "throw away" technology.

Positive Regards, Bob.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links