Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 - Driving In Town?

Macaronn

Hi guys,

I am planning to change my Corolla T-Sport to Rav4 as we are expecting a baby very soon.

Can you advice if this is a good family car and what's your view in terms of driving it mostly in town?

Is it better than Avensis, if so why?

I am planning to go for 2007 or 2008 and I do no more than 5K miles per annum (90% in Town)

Many thanks

Mac

Hi Mac,

I would say it is a great family car - versatile, safe and easy to drive. At the mileage and usage you are looking at I think I'd be tempted to go for a petrol. It won't have as much torque and will need revving a bit but no DMF, no engine concerns, cheaper to buy and, to date, I can't remember anyone coming on here with major issues with the petrol.

I'll leave the Avensis comparison to Big Kev or A N other...............

Hi Mac. I had exactly same problem :) Driving mainly in London

Rav4 2008-2010 T180 or XT5

or Avensis 2009-2011 T4 or Spirit

1. Family car (SUV or estate) - not small, large boot

2. Versatile

3. Good in town but good motorway cruiser as well

4. Automatic transmition

I searched for a car since February. Budget £11k

Drove Captiva, X-trail, CRV, Grand Vitara, Mazda 6 Estate, Rav4, Avensis Estate, Qashqai, Kuga (to expensive), Murano (excellent driving), Mazda CX-7

Chose RAV4. Why? Good price from main dealer, 2 years warranty, PERFECT inside for me:

1. I like gadgets (leather, satnav, bluetooth, sunroof, smart-entry system, dual aircon, 4x4...

2. Excellent seats (width, height)

3. Every button, switch, etc. installed in exact place it should be

4. Large boot

Drives great, looks great! (I have installed side steps last week and I love it!!!)

High seat position, comfortable suspension. Not to fast (petrol, automatic) but I had fast (300 BHP) cars before (Corvette, TransAm, Celica 4x4 Turbo...) and now its time to look after my family.

Avensis or RAV4? Definitely RAV4. Why? Go and make test drive. You live in London. Go to ie. CarGiant take your time and compare both cars. Answer the question yourself :)

Why not Avensis? IMO to tight inside, low seat position and it is not 4X4 SUV, hahaha :)

I have done 700 miles since I bought my "baby" and I'm very very happy. I'd buy this car again.

Avensis, especially the hatchbacks, are brill load carriers too, Mac, but nothing beats the high up driving position and air of almost authority and safety one gets from the Rav. Also makes more ergonomic sense for yer lumbar region when loading the new wean, seat, pram, kitchen sink, mother in law (Roof Rack available.......) Agree with Davrav that petrol is your best option, albeit I don't do high miles, but prefer the torque of the diesel. One of our much older members, Firemac, would also wax lyrical about the petrol automatic version, and must agree that my recent experience of a 2004 auto box model was very favourable, so do not dismiss the last of the 2004/5 petrol models we call the 4.2.......totally bullet proof and well proven machines. eBay has many, so search out a low miler if of interest.

Financial savings very favourable also.

Good luck regardlessful,

Big Kev

thanks Dave that is very handy.

I think I will go for diesel anyhow as running cost looks quite pricey with petrol.

Again, many thanks guys and I will arrange a test drive at Car Giant today :dontgetit:

My budget is 7.5K so will need to spend some time and not rush it, I guess.

Thanks a lot again!

thanks Dave that is very handy.

I think I will go for diesel anyhow as running cost looks quite pricey with petrol.

As the wee Caledonian chappy has said, I think that the auto petrol RAV 4.2 is probably the best car I've ever owned (and I've had lots!). Ours is used mainly for urban duties - mainly short domestic runs plus the odd long haul to visit family or go on hols. 89K miles in 11 years with no issues other than a few EML sensors and a major *****-up by a crap dealer - definitely not the car's fault - only routine servicing and annual MoT.

Admittedly it's not the most fuel efficient car around (best average is 25mpg) but no vehicle gets good mpg around town, including diesels. They might be better than petrol in that respect but you really need to look at the whole ownership cost and I'd suggest that the potential problems with DPF, EGR & DMF could easily cancel out any fuel savings, especially if it's used as you intend. It's generally accepted now that if you're doing the sort of low annual miles that you're talking about, plus the fact that they will mostly be urban running, petrol is a much better option, cost-wise.

We've also got a 3-dr 4.2 which is also auto petrol and was bought in the full knowledge that it wouldn't be the cheapest thing on fuel but taking into account the virtually zero R&M costs (excl'g normal servicing & consumables), it's still a cheap car to run even though it is doing 3 or 4 times the mileage of the 5-dr.

Good luck in any event.

Diesel fuel is more expensive.

Diesel cars cost more to service and repair.

Diesel Ravs are well documented hereon for certain faults, not all covered by extended warranties.

I have a Diesel Rav and like it.

Your shout, Mac......you takes yer money, and you makes yer choice.

I've owned both petrol auto and manual diesel Ravs over the years and agree with all the above.

The auto was probably the best to drive,with fewer issues,but its pretty thirsty.

I only bought my T180 for the great spec and sportyish looks..and when chipped it can shift a bit too.

But again as said you have to factor in possible higher repair costs.

Not an easy choice imo.

Take your time and have a good long look,there are plenty to choose from.

Thank you everybody!!! i will have a good look and keep you posted....

all the best

Mac

one more question if I may:

i am looking to buy a car with no more than 80K on the clock so would you expect many repairs within next 3 years? bearing in mind 5K par annum

and can you please let me know how is the suspension doing after at around 80K (let's assume the a car wasn't abuse in the past)

thanks!

one more question if I may:

i am looking to buy a car with no more than 80K on the clock so would you expect many repairs within next 3 years? bearing in mind 5K par annum

and can you please let me know how is the suspension doing after at around 80K (let's assume the a car wasn't abuse in the past)

thanks!

Our 5-dr has about 89K miles up now, Still drives beautifully; everything's still nice & "tight" in the suspension and oil consumption remains zero. The RAV's are extremely well put together and robust.

I guess the only thing to watch out for with autos up to the 2003 facelift is a fault with the autobox ECU which is well-documented on here and for which the fix is about £200. Having said that it only happens on some cars so it's not a foregone conclusion in every case.

It's also worth checking the condition of the serpentine belt that drives the alternator, water pump, A/C compressor, etc. (think very long, heavily grooved fan belt!). It's not a particular problem part but, if it breaks, it's a pain in the a55 as it immobilises the car and it's not an off the shelf service part so the dealer has to order it . It's not particularly expensive but will mean the car being off the road for a couple of days. Mind you, ours went for about 9 years before it broke! That taught me to get the 3-dr's replaced at the next service just to avoid the hassle should it break. If you renew, say, every 5 years that would prevent the problem. Some members on here have replaced it DIY so it's not a big deal if you're handy with the spanners.

Generally if you get a car with a Toyota service history, that will improve confidence considerably.

• Like 1

Petrol over Diesel for that scenario I would think for a RAV

For 90% town driving, maybe read 50% not moving? So a car with stop-start could be a good option. Not sure what is around that gives stop-start, an SUV height and is in the price bracket, but possibly one of the later Nissan Qashqais ?

I agree with Hoovie. I had my 2003 VVTi major serviced at 120000 kms, and the belts were showing wear, so had them changed. At the same time the water pump was weeping slightly, again, not a serious problem, but that was changed as well. That said, the car is 100% reliable, auto, and I really wouldn't want to change it, and definately npetrol over diesel, with low mileage, you really need to do a lot of miles to justify the diesel.

My 52 plate petrol is on 136000 mls and is still as good as I bought it 10 years and 132000 mls ago, only problem i had was the exhaust failing at 110 k..definitely a petrol for 5k a year and mostly town work, mine does about 27 mpg on the local stuff it does now, but still gets about 32 on a run

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links