Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Used Advice

diesel man

Hi

As I currently live in the Durham area and will be in need of a reliable 4 x 4 for the winter, as I carry out some photographic agency work I am looking for some advice what problems (if any) to be aware of in the RAV 4.

Having been the victim of the dreaded Dual Mass flywheel failure in both mine and my wife's vehicles, I am a little worried about this in any future vehicles.

I would be looking for a 5 door Diesel from 2000 - 2006 MY, I currently cover around 15K per annum, I don't wish to have anything newer as the milage related depreciation would be too prohibitive.

I mention reliable as i've heard a number of stories about LR freelanders. I have a friend who owns a petrol series 1 and absolutly loves it

Would I be correct in assuming an average of 40MPG for the diesel

Many thanks

K

At 15K , why not go for petrol ? You'd get less mpg than diesel but the cost price should be cheaper.

If it helps, due to towing the clutch went at 87k miles and the DMF was replaced as a precaution but it didn't fail .

Many thanks for that, will look at the costs Petrol Vs Diesel.

I travel to Milton Keynes and lincolnshire around 6/7 times a year and would favour the diesel for the economy, but as I drive around the city of Durham and the surrounding area in the main, it would close to call as I will lose the ecomony advantage of the derv vehicle.

Now the hard part, convincing the better half I need one for the business, I have almost convinced her to change her SAAB for a GT86!

Many thanks for that, will look at the costs Petrol Vs Diesel.

I travel to Milton Keynes and lincolnshire around 6/7 times a year and would favour the diesel for the economy, but as I drive around the city of Durham and the surrounding area in the main, it would close to call as I will lose the ecomony advantage of the derv vehicle.

Now the hard part, convincing the better half I need one for the business, I have almost convinced her to change her SAAB for a GT86!

Have you driven a GT86 ? I didn't want to get out ! They're very very nice, do what you must to convince her.....

Will mention it, Jo was talking about a C Class Coupe last night, will talk her round to the GT86!.

I notice the difference in economy between Petrol and Diesel in around 10mpg, enough to make a difference over the whole life ownership of the vehicle.

From other posts on the site I will be looking for a 5 door without a tow bar to be sure of the DMF.

I would also consider a re-map to improve the performance and economy of the car, so I will making friends with some of the local 4x4 dealers!

You will need a 'Kingo Chippo Kitto' [copyright Big Kev] as the Denso ECU has not been hacked as yet Kevin............

Yep, no re-maps with a Denso fuel pump, chippo kitto available though eh Kev?

Kev has more balls than he knows what to do with on chippo kitto commission :lol:

I had a similar problem when I had the mumps!

I looked into the whole life costs, I am an accountant for my sins, several all deadly, it is comparable to an Astra diesel of the same vintage if you remove the tax from the equasion, dependant on the model

An accountant called Kevin......the last straw.......!!

Big Kev.......now looking for a deceased Polish person........to change my name by deid Pole.....get it.....?

• Like 1

An accountant called Kevin......the last straw.......!!

Big Kev.......now looking for a deceased Polish person........to change my name by deid Pole.....get it.....?

Careful there, Yellow Liver. Us accountants are sensitive souls.

• 1 year later...

Ran away from a circus to become an accountant!

After a bang on the head!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links