Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Fault Auris 13Plate

umi65

I purchase an Auris sport 4 weeks ago. It is a very good car apart from the nightmare I had after parking it on a driveway went inside. I came back out about 20mins later and grabbed my bag off the back seat and went to the shop. To my great surprise and shock when I returned the car was across the road against a bollard!

The police had been called while I was gone and they were managing to push the car with the handbrake up.

Has anyone else experience this because currently Toyota are telling me I didn't put the handbrake on but I know I did otherwise the car would have moved immediately.

I don't think it will be a fault - did you leave the car in gear??

If one doesn't leave a car in gear when parked, the brake discs/pads cool and if the handbrake hasn't been fully put on, the cooling effect will mean the pads and discs contract reducing the braked effect, and the car can well roll away.

Common issue - driver error.

If the car is facing uphill when parked - should be left in first gear - facing downhill - should be left in reverse gear. Extract from the Highway Code below:

"252

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
  • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
  • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
  • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox."

Also when applying the handbrake, try applying the foot brake as well.

This is true what frostyballs wrote, altough I too have noticed that the handbrake needs to be adjusted. It takes quite a lot of pulling before the car stands still.

This is the first car I have experience this problem with. The drive I was on I wouldn't even consider the incline to be steep at all especially when you look at it.

I've previously owned Vauxhall's, Chevrolet and Mercedes, I have never had to leave it in gear when parking and if this is the issue with this car why are salesman not warning customers of this when they purchase it???

I just find it strange that while researching this it has happened to so many other people with the Toyota Auris.

The issue isn't just related to the Auris - it is possible with any car. Why do you think the Highway Code (as I quoted) says to leave cars in gear when parking on a hill??

My partner used to use a multi storey car park in Birmingham City Centre, and for the car park staff this was a weekly occurence with customer's cars.