Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tns 510 Navigation System Map Update?

Daisykins

Hi everyone

I have a 2009 IQ2 with built in navigation system (TNS 510) and the SD card holds maps for 2008. I'm noticing a lot of road changes now that we're 5 years on and this week I began making enquiries about updating the maps.

Yesterday I telephoned my local Toyota centre and was told it would cost around £130 to update. I was horrified at this price and searched online for cheaper options. eBay has a few SD cards for 2011 maps and I made an offer on one which was declined.

Therefore, I went to my Toyota centre today and very begrudgingly said that I'd have to accept their update price of £130. I was then told this was not the final price because I'd have to pay for a licence which was at least another £100. I'm sorry, £230 for a map update which is already out of date (the latest is 2012)!? The guy said it's not just a case of switching over SD cards and therefore anything I might buy on eBay wouldn't work without purchasing a licence on top!

I am staggered at the price of an update. I may as well buy a brand new Tom Tom with up to date maps! I bitterly regret ordering my new IQ2 to include the navigation system in 2009 now. What a waste of money! Lesson learnt and I won't do the same again.

Does anyone know a cheaper way, and is it true what I'm being told about requiring a licence? I don't know why I was told £130 during a phone call with no reference to a licence, and then I'm told something different today. Grateful for any comments and advice. Thank you. :)

Have you checked this site?

I have not been through it myself but it may confirm or refute what your MrT has been saying.

I personally take what is said at the front desk or over the phone with a pinch of salt until I have done a bit of digging myself.

http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/

John

edit: from what I can see a map update for mine to the 2013 map would be 145 Euros, and no mention of licences (unless I've missed it in the small print!)

Hi John

Yes, that's where I started my search and when you include VAT and shipping it comes to 169 Euros which works out about £144. I have found nothing there about a licence and that's something I sincerely object to if Mr Front Desk Man is correct in what he says, because clearly it's most misleading. When you complete your info at that website though it asks you which organisation you're ordering from, so I think it is intended for dealerships rather than random Joe Public, and dealerships are probably expected to know about the licence? I don't know - just a guess.

I think

Hi everyone

I have a 2009 IQ2 with built in navigation system (TNS 510) and the SD card holds maps for 2008. I'm noticing a lot of road changes now that we're 5 years on and this week I began making enquiries about updating the maps.

Yesterday I telephoned my local Toyota centre and was told it would cost around £130 to update. I was horrified at this price and searched online for cheaper options. Ebay has a few SD cards for 2011 maps and I made an offer on one which was declined.

Therefore, I went to my Toyota centre today and very begrudgingly said that I'd have to accept their update price of £130. I was then told this was not the final price because I'd have to pay for a licence which was at least another £100. I'm sorry, £230 for a map update which is already out of date (the latest is 2012)!? The guy said it's not just a case of switching over SD cards and therefore anything I might buy on eBay wouldn't work without purchasing a licence on top!

I am staggered at the price of an update. I may as well buy a brand new Tom Tom with up to date maps! I bitterly regret ordering my new IQ2 to include the navigation system in 2009 now. What a waste of money! Lesson learnt and I won't do the same again.

Does anyone know a cheaper way, and is it true what I'm being told about requiring a licence? I don't know why I was told £130 during a phone call with no reference to a licence, and then I'm told something different today. Grateful for any comments and advice. Thank you. :)

There is no need for a licence all you need is a Updated SD card map which can be purchased directly through the link quoted above. Only cars with Touch & Go or HDD navigation need licences at £140 to install the free navigation software.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Touch & Go/HDD is. How can I be certain I don't have these? Sorry to be dim. ;)

In light of what you say I have just telephoned Toyota again. I spoke to their parts department who could only give me a price for the SD card and had no idea about installation or other costs. They then put me through to Services and I was connected to the same chap I saw yesterday. He tells me that the SD card (otherwise known as a 'key') is also the licence and that the additional charge he quoted yesterday was for labour. He said there is no way you can switch an SD card with another one and expect it to work - the new maps have to be downloaded and it can take up to 3 hours of labour. I asked if there's any way a customer could do this themselves and the answer was 'only if they have the correct equipment'.

I'm at a loss - I cannot understand why an update/installation is so complicated and expensive.

I've upgraded the software on my Scion xB two times now, and each time it was just a matter of dropping in the new DVD. Of course, the SD card system on the newer systems may differ, but it seems odd to require a license.

• Like 1

Buy the card, put it in, it will work

The SD cards do not need an additional licence, as Devon says, only the Touch and Go and systems with a Hard Disc Drive (HDD) need a licence

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Your comments are appreciated. The actual TSN 510 manual seems to suggest you can simply switch the cards. I did email Toyota directly last night for an official line on this and have read your comments this morning. Thank you Kingo - you fill me with more confidence than anyone at my Toyota dealer!

Kingo, so what price you doing the cards for? ;)

Fish

Sadly fish, about the same as you can buy online directly off the map update site, by the time I add secure postage (special delivery) there is only the saving of a few pounds off me

Kingo, as you have experience of ordering from them before, how quickly do you normally receive the SD Card? I really need mine to arrive on or by next Thursday - are they that quick to deliver?

Those who have ordered them in the past tell me they arrive very quickly :thumbsup:

My fella just mentioned it might be wiser to wait for the 2013 update to be released. Do you know which month they usually issue the update each year? Is it imminent?

Not sure to be honest, if you go to the map update site www.toyota-mapupdates.eu it will tell you when the last one was and what is new on the new card, if the last update was say June 12, you would think the next one would be 12 months on

• Like 1

Ok here is the answer. The Tns 510 and Tns 350 only require a new SD card. Mine was £136 inc. the SD card holds the operating system under the file name of loading.kiwi and map data. The loading . Kiwi file is not encrypted and can be copied. Useful if your SD card becomes corrupt. I have mailed this file to others to allow their tns to turn on. Without the Sd card if you disconnect the Battery your tns is dead in the water. You cannot copy the whole SD card as the encryption on it is linked to the SD cards manufacture's serial number. There is no extra license required. On the tns 350 there was meant to be a way of updating the map data via the internet but doesnt look like it was ever implemented. Word of warning if you buy a iQ with a tns 510 or a 350 and it hasnt got a SD map card with it then DONT! Disconnect the Battery or you will not be able to use the tns for anything other than holding the door back

• Like 1

By the way if there is anyone out there with a tns510 and no map SD card and the tns has just got a message about contacting the dealer, and you dont want to buy a map card, then i can help you get it working again just contact me. If you do have a Map SD card and getting the contact the dealer i can fix this as well

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I just need one more bit of advice. I have ordered my map update (new SD card) and should receive it next week. Can someone tell me, when replacing the existing SD card, should I remove and replace it whilst the engine is off? Or when it's on?

Thanks ;)

Hi

If you replace the card with the engine off, when you switch the engine on the new map data will be available to you. If you think the operating system on the new SD card has been updated, then you need to put the card in and disconnect the car Battery and reconnect after 5 mins so the new operating system will load into the 510. If you dont know or are not worried then with the engine off insert the new card, start the engine and enjoy it

David

• Like 1

If you're worried about the card being damaged when the car is being serviced you can always dismount it before it goes to the garage, take the card out and keep it safe until you get the car back.

Fish

• Like 1

Top Idea, and would you leave £136 in notes on the seat? Your word against theirs it was in there when it went in. good re-sale value

David

• Like 1

Hi

If you replace the card with the engine off, when you switch the engine on the new map data will be available to you. If you think the operating system on the new SD card has been updated, then you need to put the card in and disconnect the car battery and reconnect after 5 mins so the new operating system will load into the 510. If you dont know or are not worried then with the engine off insert the new card, start the engine and enjoy it

David

Hi David

Did you mean if I replace the card with the engine off the new map data will NOT be available to me? I think there's a typo in your message and just want to clarify. Thanks!

;)

Hi Daisykins

This is how it works. The Map SD card is in two parts, The operating system for the TNS 510 and the Map data. When Toyota issue a new Updated SD card with the latest Map information, it doesn't mean that they have updated the operating system just the Map info. All you need to do is with the engine off simply swap the old card for the new one and use as normal.

All I was saying was for general info for all, was that if you suspect Toyota have issued the new card with operating system updates , then the only way to get the benefit from that would be to swap the card and disconnect the Battery and re-connect after 5 mins and let the TNS read the updated operating system from the card.

But for you simply swap the cards over with the engine off and Hey presto new Map!!!!

David

• 4 years later...

both the 510 and 350 2017 SD card updates are much cheaper here, got one for my TNS510.

41 minutes ago, hallyjim0 said:

www.thesatnavshop.com/toyota-lexus

both the 510 and 350 2017 SD card updates are much cheaper here, got one for my TNS510.

However, they will be pirated copy cards and not legal..........