Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Main Dealer Service Contract

didje

I have just had a quote to renew my 3 year service contract on my 3 year old Yaris. The first 3 years service was £475, the renewal quote is £765.

Is this the norm? This car has only done 12000 miles, Any members got any opinions on the cost of this service contract (car still has 2 years warranty)

Personally I think that it's a bit of a rip off. The servicing for the next 3 years should be no different to the servicing for the last 3 - oil, some filters, maybe brake fluid if the dealer agrees.

I would check the service schedule of the car just in case and see if their is anything over and above for the 40k / 4 yr, 5 yr and 6 yr compared to the first 3 that is included in the contract that could possibly warrant the cost increase.

There is a difference in the 4-6 year service contract. As the 1-3 year contract has two small services and one large, the 4-6 years contract include one small, one major & one full the costs are going to be higher i.e.

1 yr Intermediate

2 yr Full

3 yr Intermediate

4 yr Full +

5 yr Intermediate

6 yr Full

Ask your dealer to show you a breakdown of costs and ask them what extras such as brake fluid changes etc are included , this will show where the cost quoted comes from.

and dont forget it was 3 years ago since you took the first plan so a bit of inflation has to come into it as well

Alex

Does the dealer participate in Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme? Mine does, and they agreed to align my current service plan more closely with the Fixed Price Service costs - incl a free brake fluid change with the 2 yr full service.

For example the FPS costs for the Yaris are: £249 for the Full+ service, £119 for the Intermediate, £189 for the Full, and £39 each for two brake fluid changes. Total £635.

So this should provide a basis for you to go back to the dealer for some negotiation.

Having taken out service plans previously - 2 with my Toyota dealer and one with my Hyundai dealer - the dealers often fail to provide detail on what these service plans cover. Eg. The first quote for my current Toyota service plan just stated 3 services - 1 at one year, 1 at two years and 1 at three years.

The service plan I actually bought detailed an Intermediate service at 1 year, a Full service and free brake fluid change at 2 years, an Intermediate service at 3 years and the use of 0W-20 oil at each service.

I think that dealers (not just Toyota dealers) need to be much more upfront about the amount of work that service plans cover.

I would double-check what applies to you on the Full+ service;

<rant>

I had it done last year, mainly because I wanted them to change the diesel fuel filter, but they didn't do it. When I asked them about this, they claimed that it was model dependent and didn't apply to my car (Which is a DIESEL Yaris!), and since diesel cars don't have spark plugs I'd basically paid them an extra £60 to clean my MAF (Especially galling as I'd done this myself a few months prior and it was a 5 minute job!) and to do a bunch of tests that I didn't care about, half of which would have been covered by the MOT anyway!

It is amazing how much stuff on the service schedule "doesn't apply to my car, sir"; Even the air and pollen filters weren't changed despite being filthy, and I ended up doing it myself!

I am giving this place some leeway since they'd only just opened, but it's a marked contrast between the previous dealer I was using (Sadly closed down to merge with this one). Just goes to underline the point that standards vary considerably, even between the same franchise!! :(

I have just had a quote to renew my 3 year service contract on my 3 year old Yaris. The first 3 years service was £475, the renewal quote is £765.

Is this the norm? This car has only done 12000 miles, Any members got any opinions on the cost of this service contract (car still has 2 years warranty)

Just a thought! If you renew the contract for three years and then decide to change the car for another Yaris or change the car for another make what happens to the unexpired portion of the contract?

Regards Geoff Peace.

You can usually get a refund of any balance remaining.

Sounds a bit of a hike. Doesn't include extended warranty does it?

The car still has 2 years of its five year warranty according to the original post, and it is only £130 adrift of the cost of fixed price servicing for the same period.

The car still has 2 years of its five year warranty according to the original post, .....

Oopla. Missed that :blushing:

Thank you for all the replies nothing seems simple anymore car is still under 5yr warranty so no extended warranty needed Just seems a very large increase Next question anyone had a new roof on their house do you know about the insulation regulations the council now want £162 to make sure the regulations are adheard to

Thanks again

didge

I believe it is 150mm minimum, that is why you can get the 100mm top up stuff.

If you can fit it in, the more the merrier is the best way - I've got 500mm throughout the majority of my loft, 400mm under the flooring.