Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 T180 No Power Under 2000 Rpm

Wingergbr

Hello again,

Jumped in the car for the usual commute this week and had an unexpected lack of power where it used to be ..

Anything under 2000 rpm there is just no power at all, the car struggles to get up to these revs but as soon as it hits that speed it appears to be back to normal, I guess this is where the turbo kicks in properly.

The issue is any gear and there is no obvious issues / noise / delay during revving when stationary ..

A little history;

Had the engine replaced under the extended warranty just under a year ago due to a blocked CAT

Been serviced every 10k miles by Mr T, last one 3k miles ago

I only ever use V-Power or Ultimate fuel.

I have had a look in the forum but cant see anything similar to this issue.

I've got a call into the local Toyota garage to discuss with them but thought I would see if you guys have any ideas what this could be ...

Thanks in advance,

I had the same problem with my new engine, I took it back to RRG Macclesfield (who fitted the new engine) and they found a split in the air intake pipe, which they repaired FOC. :thumbsup:

I once sorted one out doing the same. EGR was stuck wide open. I wouldn't discount Valeite's experience either.

Thanks for the reply's Gents.

So got the car back and it turned out to be a clogged EGR that was stuck wide open.

Its all been stripped cleaned lubed up and should be good to go for anything from 1000 to 10,000 miles so Mr T says ..

Turns out the EGR wasn't replaced when the engine was done so I still have the old EGR & Inlet manifold which can be replaced for a snip under £900 .. not that that will prevent any soot build up just helps reduce the build up ! I declined politely.

TBH I think I've lost my faith in the Rav, since the engine replacement just under a year ago its been in pretty much every 1-2 months for problems with oil leaks and the like. RRG did say this is unusual and I've been unlucky but I think the time may have come to pass it on before anything else goes wrong with it, its just not as reliable as I hoped it was going to be.

I sometimes get disillusioned by this lot. Unfortunately too much is left with the mechanic when these rebuilds take place - they have to be trusted BUT if I was changing an engine because of a blocked DPF I would be asking what else might be blocked? How a qualified mechanic can expect a DPF to be blocked and not the device that is wholly responsible for it being blocked, i.e. the thing (EGR) that feeds oil rich soot back into the inlet manifold is just bewildering. It is exactly why I have absolutely no acknowledgement whatsoever for that inane embroidered Badge that says "technician" emblazoned across the chest of a youth who clearly isn't old enough to have served a full apprenticeship - I then disregard it on those who are old enough too. What does entitle them to wear it?

Furthermore, when the dealer negotiates with Toyota over these things, instead of doing it with experienced engineers who would know that the consequences of doing such a thing are doomed, they have to get past the snotty nosed power crazed kid brother of the adolscent that wears the Badge.

It is a pity that there are really good switched on people within the dealer network that I have the utmost regard are let down by those who are not. The overall good intentions of the vehicle manufacturer that we hold so much faith and loyalty can so easily be let down. Root causing would trace it back to management weaknesses but the only way to resolve it is to do some proper **** kicking on the shop floor and that is why the Japanese are masters of mass production and we are not. The humble jap shop foor worker has what is commonly known as a conscience and a sense of pride. The typical UK worker "knows his rights mate".

Man I feel better for that. Its a pity the OP doesn't.

Don, The dealer network has to jump through hoops to get these engine claims paid. There is an 88 page document to follow for every time one of these engines is fitted. If it falls over anywhere along the way, the dealer wont get paid. We don't know the OP's facts, only what we have been told. If the EGR met the criteria on the day, it would not have been replaced

Now go and have a lie down :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm sure thats true but why has a new engine then gone on to clog an EGR and a manifold? I don't know all the facts either but I would have liked a fish around that engine when it was changed the first time.

No idea Don, but we don't know the full story of that particular engine. If it was OK at the time, it would not be replaced,

I understand completely what you are saying but if that is the case, i.e. the EGR and manifold were clean and functioning less than a year ago, you are implying that a new engine that "has only ever run on V-Power" has clogged the EGR tp a point where it has stuck wide open and filled the manifold to a point where only a new one will cure it. If that is so then I would have some serious concerns about that engine.

Wingergbr - does it use oil?

Interesting points made ..

So in answer to your question Anchorman, I couldn't tell you for sure as I haven't had it back long enough since the initial replacement without fault to make any sense of it !!

All the faults have been due to the re-build and small oil leaks from different parts of the engine, turbo, sump etc. it was taken out totally at one point for a strip down and re-re-build !

I would have expected the problem items to all be replaced at the same time and was disappointed when I was told the EGR hadn't been .. That was the nail in the coffin for the Rav.

The car is driven on long journeys 180 miles or so non-stop twice every week, it has had various cleaning products thrown through it pretty regularly to try and avoid this problem (due to the advice on the forum) .. I would have thought the fuel and the care and the odd thrashing would have kept it clean.

Quite possibly there is an underlying issue here with this particular engine .. who has the time and money to find it ?!? .. certainly not me.

I am sure that the mechanics are under time pressure to complete their jobs and move on to the next and it is not necessarily their fault they don't identify all the issues with a particular engine, however I would have thought that the EGR would have been checked .. we will never know.

So it was never a new 3/4 engine, it was a rebuild?

Apologies terminology .. It was a new 3/4 engine ..then rebuilt a few times.

Apologies terminology .. It was a new 3/4 engine ..then rebuilt a few times.

Good Grief........acknowledged to be one of creation's more complex engines......replaced.....then "rebuilt a few times"........going for a lie doon.....

Just remind me....

........what exactly happened?

Gotta feel for the OP on this one!... I would have expected the EGR to have been changed at the time of re-build! I think I'd buy a new genuine valve and pipe off eBay. Thats what I did for the sum of £120 all in...

So a brief history ...

P2002 fault and limp mode due to a blocked CAT.

Engine replaced under the extended warranty as the CAT was blocked due to excessive oil consumption.

Its been 10 months since the original 3/4 replacement.

During the first couple of weeks it was back in a few times for oil leaks from the turbo pipes.

After that its been in for oil leaks from various places in the engine at least 8 or so times the sump being one area of leakage I remember. The engine has only come out once for a re-build not a few times as mentioned before (apologies for misleading).

The longest has to have been about 4 to 6 weeks I have had it not have to go back into the garage for something.

It has been serviced twice, had the oil sensor replaced on a separate occasion, (not related to any leaks apparently !), now recommended to get the EGR & inlet manifold replaced due to the latest issue.

Apart from services and oil sensor most of the visits have been under the new 3/4 engine warranty which runs out in a couple of months .. RRG have been great at providing courtesy cars at short notice and supporting the issues the car has had.

So a brief history ...

P2002 fault and limp mode due to a blocked CAT.

Engine replaced under the extended warranty as the CAT was blocked due to excessive oil consumption.

Its been 10 months since the original 3/4 replacement.

During the first couple of weeks it was back in a few times for oil leaks from the turbo pipes.

After that its been in for oil leaks from various places in the engine at least 8 or so times the sump being one area of leakage I remember. The engine has only come out once for a re-build not a few times as mentioned before (apologies for misleading).

The longest has to have been about 4 to 6 weeks I have had it not have to go back into the garage for something.

It has been serviced twice, had the oil sensor replaced on a separate occasion, (not related to any leaks apparently !), now recommended to get the EGR & inlet manifold replaced due to the latest issue.

Apart from services and oil sensor most of the visits have been under the new 3/4 engine warranty which runs out in a couple of months .. RRG have been great at providing courtesy cars at short notice and supporting the issues the car has had.

When you say a rebuild do you really mean the engine its self was dismantled ? Or perhaps removed to gain access to the part or parts leaking oil ? Your post is a little confusing ....

It is strictly against Toyota policy to dismantle or strip a Toyota supplied "Opti Fit" engine.. If there is a problem the unit would be replaced and sent back to Toyota Japan.. Trust me I know on this one...

Another I think valid point is that it was because of the cost of stripping and rebuilding engines in house at a Dealer here in the UK that the replacement policy was adopted.. So I cant imagine why the company would allow a dealer to strip and rebuild.. Anyway its simply not the policy to do so,,,

Nah......sorry Shug mate.....you have 12 months warranty on what is proving to be a complete dog of an engine, compounded by sheer dog work thereon. I had faultless dealings with RRG Macclesfield, but even if it is them, somebody at your branch needs to make a call on this........replace it again......it is gubbed. Ah mean FFS.........leaking sump.......? Whit.....?

Big Kev

Thats three posts that all give a different story.

I'm afraid it's too hard for me to keep track of. We can usually get things sorted out but I'm not playing Cluedo - your on your own mate.

Anchorman, I am not sure where the three versions of events come from, but admit that rebuild was the wrong word to use, it was a rushed post this morning !

My last post is a pretty accurate description of events since the engine was replaced without going through all the documents from RRG that have built up from each visit.

This thread was purely to ask advice on the low power issue, not for any other reason, if I have mislead you in anyway I apologise.

I am not sure what can be sorted out in this instance and was never expecting anything other than good advice, as has been provided previously.

Would you answer my questions above please ? IE was the engine dismantled or removed in order to fix the oil leaks ? It helps us to know the answers so we can accurately help other folk in the future as this engine thing comes up now and then ....

It was removed to ensure that all the leaking areas were identified and fixed.

Due to the number of issues I had had and the time they had the car for I assume that they started from scratch as they would have done with a normal ¾ replacement.