Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Tsport Has Gone Bang!

bexyboo

Hi

I'm new here and hopefully you'll welcome me with some friendly advise!

My 05 plate t sport has given up this morning. While driving along my hubby felt a "lump" in it, at which point the Battery light came on, plumes of smoke started coming from the exhaust/ back of the car, all the dash lights then came on. It now won't start & a friend has looked and said the belt on the left side (as you look at it) of the bay is snapped.

For a few weeks the car has been making a "wop wop" sound from underneath almost like the drive shaft is going.

What can this be?! Hubby just sat now waiting to be recovered!!

Thanks

Bexyboo

As for the strange noise, I would check that all the plastic shields are secure underneath. Either way the timing belt has broken and the could be catastrophic. The best way is probably to fit a new belt and see if there is any compression. If not, only major surgery will put it right.

If anyone has any doubt about the age of a timing belt, get it changed.

BTW, what engine exactly has this car got? VVTi engines don;t have a belt.

Hi, it's the 1.8 vvti standard t sport engine.

Thanks for your help

Think it is the 2ZZ-GE engine - chain driven

Only issue I can see that a failed belt would cause (apart from no alternator or aircon) would be overheating due to the water pump not being driven. I wonder if something (one of those three or a tensioner) has seized, destroyed the belt and the engine has overheated.

Symptoms are a bit odd... smoke from exhaust doesn't immediately tie in with any belt failure and any engine failure wouldn't take out the belt... hmmm

If the belt has been slipping quietly for some time then the engine isn't being sufficiently cooled due to low water pump speed. Eventually the engine will overheat and potentially warp the head. This allows coolant into the cylinders and results in the plumes of white smoke.

Even a tiny bit of coolant produces a lot of smoke.

Perform a compression test to confirm gasket integrity.

KP

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for all your replies. Apparently it was the auxiliary belt & water pump...both now fixed £200 & touch wood seems ok & head is ok.

Thanks

Great to hear you got it sorted :)

Glad that it is fixed :)

For the future it is a good idea to investigate any unusual sounds or symptoms before failure occurs

Problems found before failure can often be solved without major expense