Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5Th Gear Vibration

gud529

I have a 05 Rav4 Diesel; top gear vibration and "chattering gear stick" started at 60K, and now at 66K takes the pleasure out of driving it. As a lifetime mechanic i know the 5th gear cluster is worn........."not holding gear" being the next step. Discussed this within the trade we all feel poor component manufacture, particularly the quality of the metal, is the cause of premature wear..........SO TOYOTA who actually makes these components and if i had bought them from a motor factor would they be deemed "fit for purpose" ? Having said this and also considering the dual mass flywheel to be only just adequate, on balance i like and want to keep the RAV. Does anyone have or know where there is the modified 5th gear "hub" for my g/box................Thanks'

Hi Gud and welcome to Club,

Have you seen pinned section above "replacing 5th gear" in Tech. Hints and Tips (4.2 section).....?

Hi' Kevin, thanks for welcome, did read that info. and found it to be practical and correct. There's no point hoping this 5th gear issue is caused by easy to correct inexpensive remedies, such as badly routed chafing gear linkage cables, these are only symptoms of a vibrating 5th gear cluster. Best to "bite the bullet" and buy the modified components, trouble is they're not cheap, about £400.00 if you catch it early enough and do not change the baulk "synchro rings". Because the gear hub is mounted outboard the actual repair for me at least is a pleasure to do, and gives you a pat on the back feeling. As i said it's the price of the parts that worry me, phoned and checked all my work contacts, gone through the temptation of buying a second hand g/box, but know that will probably be worn as well..............common problem on other toyota models circa 2000--2005. Don't mind being called mean, there's a chance someone may have unfitted, or trusted to work parts, to sell. Just not fair to pay toyota full price when my car was sold two years after there gearbox bulletin mod was issued..........just read what i've said and realise that i am now a member of the grumpy old men club...............Thanks again Ray'

Heh heh.....welcome to two clubs then, Ray......Anchormoan is grand chieftain of the second club in Derbyshire. You talk gearboxes as if they are Lego sets, mate.......total mystery to me, so bought a naughtymatic.....lol.

Its a common problem on the first RAV models too. And yes, £400 is a bit steep.

My RAV number 1 with 180,000 miles and running well over 300bhp is still on its original gearbox. However the number 2 which has just reached 105,000 miles is now awaiting its 4th gearbox. The first lost drive in 2 gears; the second suffered a failure of the speedo exciter ring; the third now jumps out of 5th, and is crunching coming out of 1st gear. So I've bought a 4th box in the hope it lasts - at a cost of £240.

I am now thinking of buying a cheap 3rd RAV to act as a donor car! They come in at £500 or so. Like you, I'm disappointed with the gearbox but the number 1 defies all odds by handling so much power - seeing it is used to launch at 1/4 mile sprints !!! And thats with the diff lock on. The boxes are fit for around 350hp I think, except the 5th gear problem.

The same box was fitted to another Toyota and had the same problem

As it happens, number 2 has a few things needing sorted - engine oil leak; exhaust blowing; gearbox; so it will go into the Garage to get the lot done..... and maybe treat it to a CUSTOM EXHAUST LIKE NUMBER 1.

Hi gud529 - and welcome!

The 5th gear cluster has worn prematurely on many D4D RAVs, and the pinned articles detail what's involved in replacing the cluster. It's a straightforward job for a mechanic, the only special tool (ESSENTIAL!) being a puller to remove the old, and then push on the new. You can make one of these up yourself - it will be obvious what's needed when you remove the box end-cover.

Fit new Toyota parts (as listed) - they've been modified to resolve the wear problem. Make sure you go armed with your chassis/VIN number, to ensure you get the correct and latest parts.

Refill the box with 75W-80 gear oil, rather than the originally specified -90 . . . it makes changes much easier, especially in cold weather.

Chris

Thanks for your response; the way i feel is that the RAV has that something special about it that makes you forgive its g/box. problems.........If you treat it for what it is a recreation vehicle, a distraction and a pleasure to drive, it does what it's supposed to do. If you expect it to tow a 1.5 tonne caravan in fifth at low R.P.M. then you'll be calling recovery. During my working life toyota was the best volume manufacturer for the everyday motorist by a good margin........" the car in front is/was a toyota". However it seems that quality on rav trasmissions and their similar format cars is a bit of a lottery......some last some don't. Keeping mine as a second car, prepared to wait until a proven good low mileage transmission comes along, then change the lot including a new D.M.F. For lugging my Caravan i've bought a diesel auto landrover, all the suspension links are typically clunky, but at least it doesn't vibrate and i don't need a damper on the rear view mirror.Thanks again for all your sound advice. Starting to enjoy retirement and being a grumpy old man, you can pretty much say what you like, what youv'e always thought,but they can't sack you for doing it .................Ray'

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links