Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Your Key Fob Battery

craggle

Just wanted to say it's worthwhile checking your key fob Battery occasionally.

I have 2 keys with my iQ3 with the keyless ignition system and I alternate the two keys a few months at a time. No reason really except I have a silver key to go with the silver car and a I bought an additional blue key cover for the spare fob so like to change the colour occasionally. :)

Anyhoo, I changed the keys the other day and went to the car and the fob didn't work. Tried pressing the button as well and still nothing so swapped the key back again and off I went. I later took the Battery out the non working fob and put a voltmeter across it and it was reading 2.6 volts. They are meant to be 3 volt so I started to doubt the Battery was the problem but bought a new one anyway, replaced it and once again, working perfectly.

While I was at it I checked the voltage on the other key fob and that was reading 2.7 volts so decided to change that one too.

It says in the manual to change them every 1 - 2 years but it's well worth checking them and I'll be carrying a spare battery around in the car now I think.

Craig.

Keeping keys by equipment like a TV, computer, etc is also supposed to deplete the batteries quicker.

That's interesting. My keys sit in front of a computer monitor, LED type all the time I'm at work.

I'll try keeping them away from that then.

Cheers

Craig.

Keeping keys by equipment like a TV, computer, etc is also supposed to deplete the batteries quicker.

Interesting. We keep ours away from stuff like that, not intentionally, just a co-inky-dink.

Craig, you know it makes sense, and I may follow your example of keeping spare batteries for the key fobs. We haven't had any issues yet with our three year old car, but whose to say the woman that owned it before us didn't change them over... NA! Not likely is it really. So, best to get some in. Wasn't there a TV programme called that some time ago?

When we had Mazdas (53 Premacy and 323, 57 Mazda 2) the owners manuals warned about not using keys for a few months as they would lose their code. So with subsequent cars we always make sure that both keys are used every few weeks.

Another annoying thing with Mazda was that they only supplied one remote key - so for each car we had to order a second remote key when ordering the car (£150 each key).

Mazda, like Ford, know how to charge for extras that shouldn't be extras. My brother had a Mazda 2 5 door then moved onto a 3 door 2, now he's got a Renaultsport Clio 200 RS Cup, more fun, but more money. Not many extras in the Renault btw.

Hello peeps

I wrote a post about a month ago on the subject of fobs and batteries. Firstly the fob will only transpond when in the field of an active radio field with the correct code. It naturally consumes micro amps in a stand by state. Putting it in the proximity of other electrical equipment will have no effect on it. What does happen as in digital watches, the contact points oxidise and cause high resistance on the contacts as they are generally of dis-similar metals. 2.6v should be fine but in practice you should measure the Battery whilst pressing the button and measure it on the contacts not the Battery itself. If its possible compare the 2. Disturbing the Battery whilst trying would probably disturb the high resistance anyway This is all good to know as i mentioned last time, i was out and about and returned to the car only to find the fob wouldnt open the door. I had dead locked it on leaving it so using the key would have set the alarm off. I opened the fob by inserting the key in the slot at the bottom and twisting.took the battery out and waited a couple of mins so if the battery voltage dropped it would recover a bit, cleaned the contact points , bent then slightly so they would dig into the battery better and reckoned this would give me at least a one shot at opening the door. It worked perfectly and has done ever since. Checking later battery is down to 2.4 and working. Armed with this info it could get you out of trouble unlike the guy who walked 10miles one sunday morning to find a battery

David

Just stick with a key that fits into a lock, end of problem !

Sorry for above flippant comment. I just like to keep engineering designs proven / functional and as simple as they perhaps need to be.

Sorry for above flippant comment. I just like to keep engineering designs proven / functional and as simple as they perhaps need to be.

I used to think the same 'more to go wrong and all that'. But once you have used key-less Entry and Start, there is no going back, having your hands full of shoping and stuff is much less hassle now ;)

Remember if you dead lock your car(operate the fob or press the boot button or touch the handle stripes in quick succession) then using the key to open sets the alarm off

David

I used to think the same 'more to go wrong and all that'. But once you have used key-less Entry and Start, there is no going back, having your hands full of shoping and stuff is much less hassle now ;)

I'm sure you are right, I never go shopping tho, buy everything on the internet and get it delivered ! :disgust:

What he said ........ No going back. Keys? So 20th century. Even though at the moment I am of a mind that my next car will be another iQ- one thing is for sure whatever I do eventually choose it WILL have keyless entry.

What we are talking about here is not a failure in design but a failure to maintain a system. All Battery powered devices have the same "fault".

If we only relied on "proven" designs and were adverse to convenience no doubt cars would still have starting handles

"Them new fanged batteries eventually go flat you know!" :laughing:

• Like 2

I think the best conveniance of it is when it's chucking it down. Run up to car, grab handle and your'e in. That two seconds with a key feels like five miutes when there is monsoon overhead :)

I think the best conveniance of it is when it's chucking it down. Run up to car, grab handle and your'e in. That two seconds with a key feels like five miutes when there is monsoon overhead :)

Sorry I'm living in the past ! with less batteries

• 2 months later...

Hi Craggle, I like the idea of different key fob covers, where did you get yours?

My wife has an IQ and I have an Auris, both fob's are identical to look at, I thought a red one for the IQ and a white one for the Auris.

I've looked around and the only one's I can find are silicon sleeves, not what I want really.

Cheers.

Hi There

Your local Toyota dealer should be able to get them and they are available in all the iQ car colours. I found mine on eBay luckily but they aren't a bad price from Toyota. http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars/iq/?master=v10Print.master&view=accessory&id=car-accessories&code=pz49j-i0133-00

They are a two piece, vacuum formed plastic affair and have a self adhesive pad inside. You simply peel and stick to the plain black key fob.

There is a chap here called PartsKing I think who gets Toyota bits at a good price or I found this website that seems to list them all.

http://www.hodgsons-newcastle-shop.co.uk/category/Toyota/IQ/Interior/Key_less_entry,i.html

They are only suitable for the keyless remote fob though with the concealed emergency key, The iQ1 key that you stick in the ignition to start the car is different.

Craig.

Thanks for the info Craig.

Being a tight fisted Yorkshire Man, I'll keep an eye on eBay for the next few weeks to see if I can get a couple of covers cheaper.

Will also be getting a couple of spare batteries as you suggest, just in case!

Kind regards

Kevin