Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wheel Problem

jimmy noname

i seem to have devloped an intermittent problem on the nearside rear wheel. every so often it sounds like grinding metal on metal, i have noticed the hub getting hot. i drove to town on friday ( about 5 miles ) got there no problem, drove back and the grinding starts, when i get home i check all the wheels and that is the only one thats hot.

so saturday i did the same journey no problem either way, 2 days later it starts again on way to school. so today i take the wheel off expecting to need brake pads but they are fine, there's no wobble on the wheel at all. i did however notice that the wheel does not spin as freely as the off side one. any ideas please. thanks

Wheel bearing?

?Any droning sound at all...as FB says ..wheel bearing.

/

there is a bit of a drone at speed, just thought it was road noise. is it an expensive job. thanks

Either a sticky brake caliper (or piston) or a wheel bearing.

is the caliper/piston sevicable . failing that how much would either job come in at ?

My 2004 Avensis has pads and shoes (shoes for the handbrake).

If you have the same, there is a chance the shoes have failed (lining separated from backplate) ... this is something quite common nowadays. Normally people talk of the wheel seizing up alltogther, but maybe worth a quick check if you have the wheel off anyway.

A wheel bearing is likely to grumble with pitch changing when you're cornering.

Bet its handbrake related. A calliper service is not complicated or expensive - especially if you get a local garage to do it - but it may not solve the problem if it is the handbrake. I would whip the wheel off and try to determine if its the disc dragging on the calliper or the handbrake dragging. You may need to take the pads out to be sure if the handbrake is dragging. If you are lucky you may be able to move the pads back from the disc with a lever.

• 2 weeks later...

quick update, turned out one of the pads had seperated and wedged itself against the disk. cost me £180 for 2 disks and 2 sets of pads fitted. i knew the disks needed changing before mot so not too bad.