Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paintwork

Ferguspuskas

I'm hoping I'm not unique! I have interminable problems with the paintwork on my Avensis which is now 2 years old. Every time I wash the car (which is fairly often as I like the car to look good) I find numerous stone chips on the bonnet and bumper. The last wash revealed a cluster of 8 small stone chips on the bumper - and from the previous wash I'd hardly driven out of town! My previous car was a passat and in the 8 years it lasted me I never had one stone chip! I realise paintwork isn't what it used to be but this is ridiculous! And no - I don't drive too close to the cars in front!

Any similar experiences? Any advice?

On my last three Toyotas (built at Derby) had no issues with the paintwork. Yes a few stone chips, but nothing out of the ordinary.

As your car is still within the three year paintwork warranty, try seeing what your Toyota dealer thinks.

Could be that the Avensis paintwork is softer than the Passats (have seen owners views that VW paintwork has gone softer since the Golf Mk6 was introduced), and is less resilient to chips.

Have acquired a few chips the same on my 2010 model too. It is unlikely to be covered by the warranty. Due to all modern cars now using so called Eco friendly paint it is a common problem as it is definitely less resilient than the paint of old. If you do approach Toyota with it please report back with their response.

Thanks guys. I have written to Toyota and they have referred me back to the local dealer (who previously told me Toyota would do nothing).

The whole thing is well beyond a joke. I'm aware of the eco-paint thing but they've got to get paint that sticks and is reasonable chip resistant. I've spoken informally with a body-shop owner who thinks that the layer of "laquer" applied is very thin. Whether improving that alone would help is a moot point.

I have no idea why the warranty wouldn't cover it. The car has to be fit for purpose - ditto the paint.

I'll post any further details once I here from the dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links