Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Avensis Or 2003?

Luis2010

Hi,

Can anyone please offer their opinion. I am on a limited budget, having had my own 2001 Avensis written off I'd like another. I will be getting an RAC inspection done, which is quite pricey, so I need to choose which car to have checked. I have found a 2002 with full service history and only 37,000 miles (apparently it was a second car for a family - 2 owners - MOT and tax til Feb 2014) this is sold privately asking £2295 or a 2003 model with similar mileage for £2900 (againa service history, through a dealer who'll put 12 months MOT on for me, but there's no tax). So it's more money for the newer model - is it worth it?

Thanks

The car from the dealer will have to be sold with some form of warranty too, but the private sale is sold as seen

You could always haggle, throw some tax in, maybe longer warranty, tank of fuel or whatever, you could soon be down to a similar price

Kingo :thumbsup:

Start with a viewing and test drive for both and be guided initially by what it looks and feels like. Check on what services have been done and when the it was last serviced, are the receipts there to prove it? Look at tyres, are they good quality make and good tread left. Are there any extras of value included. If possible look at the discs and see if they look worn, it will be difficult to see the pads but if the discs are scored and worn down the pads won't be that good either. The private seller is more likely to drop a little than the dealer but its worth a haggle anyway. Due to age the price difference is not likely to be that much. If you haven't been able to get a true value try Glasses guide on line. If they are both good deals they may not hang around long so it depends how long it takes for the inspection to be done as whether its worth waiting for it. Good luck.

Thanks to you both for replies. Glasses value the older car much lower on their basic calculation (I've not paid for the extra service based on mileage) but I've seen the service history on photos and it's consistent and up to date. Trouble is I'm miles away from either car and with a small child and working from home I can't easily get to them to test drive. I was hoping to get the check first and then just test drive for final decision.

Have a word with the garage, if you are a serious buyer, they may get an independant report done at their expense

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks to you both for replies. Glasses value the older car much lower on their basic calculation (I've not paid for the extra service based on mileage) but I've seen the service history on photos and it's consistent and up to date. Trouble is I'm miles away from either car and with a small child and working from home I can't easily get to them to test drive. I was hoping to get the check first and then just test drive for final decision.

Mmmmm...not an ideal situation to be in, the problem is not everyone's idea of good or excellent is the same and it would be a waste of money paying for an inspection only to find it isn't what you expected when you view it. Best thing maybe to call both to ask more about condition and see how much they are prepared to drop before organising the inspection. Either way I'm afraid it is a mater of tossing a coin.