Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Average & Instant Mpg Not Showing With Lights On

bobkneale

Hi Anyone got an answer to this one ?

When my sidelights and headlights are on the Average and instant MPG readout does not show only the ODO and trip readings

Is this normal ?

Positive Regards,

Bob

Is the instrument panel lighting dimmed down to its lowest setting? Have a look at this American Youtube video (hopefull it will be similar for European versions) -

Is the instrument panel lighting dimmed down to its lowest setting? Have a look at this American Youtube video (hopefull it will be similar for European versions) -

Hi Mike, re above video I have seen this specific before on internet, my IQ does not have any button to adjust "brightness" setting of the display, however the display itself also is very dim when the lights are on.

The other issue is that instant and average MPG are also not shown when lights are on it just showes a series of -------- lines and only will display the ODO (Trip) settings)

When sidelights and headlights are all off, display is much brighter and all functions including instant and average MPG work fine.

My IQ is the basic 1.0ltr manual year 2010.

Hope this explains it to you ?

Any ideas ?

All comments are welcomed !

Positive Regards, Bob.

Hi Mike, re above video I have seen this specific before on internet, my IQ does not have any button to adjust "brightness" setting of the display, however the display itself also is very dim when the lights are on.

The other issue is that instant and average MPG are also not shown when lights are on it just showes a series of -------- lines and only will display the ODO (Trip) settings)

When sidelights and headlights are all off, display is much brighter and all functions including instant and average MPG work fine.

My IQ is the basic 1.0ltr manual year 2010.

Hope this explains it to you ?

Any ideas ?

All comments are welcomed !

Positive Regards, Bob.

Sorry, one further point where the button is on the video mine has a headlight (up and down) position knob that adjusts height of headlights dependent upon their vertical position. I guess this is for adjusting height dependent upon how many people are in my little IQ ?

You're correct - the headlight height adjustment switch alters the level of the headlights to compensate for differing loads - 0 is the highest level, and the level decreases as the numbers go upwards.

With my Auris the same control should be set to 0 with driver only or driver & front seat passenger on board; all seats occupied 1.5, all seats occupied & full load of luggage 2.5, driver & full load of luggage 3.5.

So the IQ should have similar settings.

As regards the instrument panel lighting, it looks like European IQ's are different to American IQ's.

Go to page 8 of http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/bwaftersales/downloads/brief/IQ.pdf - this shows where the Mode button should be on the dashboard.

If you look at the second post of this topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/121527-dashboard-lighting/ - this should describe how to change the brightness of the instrument panel lighting.

You're correct - the headlight height adjustment switch alters the level of the headlights to compensate for differing loads - 0 is the highest level, and the level decreases as the numbers go upwards.

With my Auris the same control should be set to 0 with driver only or driver & front seat passenger on board; all seats occupied 1.5, all seats occupied & full load of luggage 2.5, driver & full load of luggage 3.5.

So the IQ should have similar settings.

As regards the instrument panel lighting, it looks like European IQ's are different to American IQ's.

Go to page 8 of http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/bwaftersales/downloads/brief/IQ.pdf - this shows where the Mode button should be on the dashboard.

If you look at the second post of this topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/121527-dashboard-lighting/ - this should describe how to change the brightness of the instrument panel lighting.

Hi Mike, You are a "Star" and quite correct problem solved, thanks very much !

Hi Mike, You are a "Star" your above post is spot on and quite correct, problem solved, at the highest display brightness setting the Average and instant MPG also is now working with headlights on. Thanks very Much.

My manual does not tell me this, I fact I had to ask for a manual when I picked up the car from Toyota dealer, as it was completly missing.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Was it purchased new or used?

It was purchased as a approved used Toyota. so I guess that they gave me a new manual that was not relevant for my older model. ?

Approved used are a complete waste of time. I'd rather buy from a back street trader than pay the over inflated prices the "approved"dealers ask, from what I have experienced the level of service is no different

Cannot really generalise on approved used schemes as they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as to how much protection they offer the buyer. At least the Toyota Approved Used warranty is underwritten by Toyota themselves (rather than being an insurance-based warranty, which are renowned for having a lot of get out clauses) and is quite clear as regards the components covered.

Yes you do pay more, but this is preferable for the majority of people than having to rely on the Sales of Goods Act to get any repairs done - which seems to be the case for some back street traders (a lot of whom also seem to appear and disappear quite regularly).

Approved used are a complete waste of time. I'd rather buy from a back street trader than pay the over inflated prices the "approved"dealers ask, from what I have experienced the level of service is no different

Hi Darren,

Re buying approved used, you might just be right, I did pay more just to get all the Toyota Approved used benifits, IE:

12 months warrenty

Full Service

12 months breakdown cover

Etc,,,Etc,,,Etc,,Etc,,,

I looked at a few second hand IQ's from a few smaller dealers, and a few were complete rubbish, IE full of various faults and badly looked after, questionable miliage, knocks coming from rear suspension, old type EGR valve, only one key, questionable history, I could continue with this list, / and no Warrenty with them / Etc,,

So I paid a few hundred pounds more to get one from Toyota, however I did knock the price down quite a lot from what they were asking, Plus it needed a new EGR valve that was done under the 12 month Toyota warrenty, (I did not know about the EGR valve issue at the time) I could have done much more research in advance and travelled around the UK more looking and possibly found a better deal and saved a few hundred pounds, However that is only now that I know a lot more about IQ's than I did then.

After 6 months of reading many posts on this forum it has taught me a lot, I am much more "IQ aware" now than I was at the start of my search for one.

My 2010 IQ was not much more than £5000 with about 30,000 miles. And that's all I wanted to pay for one.

Anyhow after some reflection I am still happy with what I got for the money, as there are many other IQ's for sale out there for a lot more than I paid for mine of the same year and miliage. There are just a few around for less but I would have had to do a lot of searching and traveling to find a better deal.

So that's it "I am where I am", and I am learning more each day about the IQ and all issues related to it.

Positive Regards, Bob

Don't get me wrong, O love my IQ, but the Toyota approved dealers are a waste of time. I am currently in dispute, but upon resolution I will name and shame, as I feel people should be aware of how potentially shoddy their service could be. They will promise you everything and deliver very little. As for the approved used scheme, I'm sure it WILL prove to be beneficial to me, but at point of sale it has been as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

I seriously doubt the handbooks have changed in the 3 or 4 years since the car was released. Apart from some different colour trim panels and the deletion of the stop / start on the iQ3, the new cars are pretty much identical to the original ones.

There is a section in there for adjusting the brightness of the display, you just need to navigate the manual which is pretty hard going sometimes. :)

Craig.

I seriously doubt the handbooks have changed in the 3 or 4 years since the car was released. Apart from some different colour trim panels and the deletion of the stop / start on the iQ3, the new cars are pretty much identical to the original ones.

There is a section in there for adjusting the brightness of the display, you just need to navigate the manual which is pretty hard going sometimes. :)

Craig.

Thanks Craig. Perhaps I did not spend enough time absorbing the manual, I am happy to stand corrected !

Don't get me wrong, O love my IQ, but the Toyota approved dealers are a waste of time. I am currently in dispute, but upon resolution I will name and shame, as I feel people should be aware of how potentially shoddy their service could be. They will promise you everything and deliver very little. As for the approved used scheme, I'm sure it WILL prove to be beneficial to me, but at point of sale it has been as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Hi Darren, I too was not happy with the "attention to various details" from my Toyota dealer and have had various written discussions over the last 4+ months about it. I am a bit of a perfectionist and perhaps some others would not have complained as much as I did. I'm sure there are good and bad dealers, it was my first Toyota purchase in over 40+ years of motoring so, my Toyota experience was new from that perspective. Hope you get your issues resolved, if you do not get satisfaction from your dealer or Toyota customer service, you could consider (if not already) writing to the top people in Toyota Japan. It's only by complaining that sometimes we get things changed ! - Just an Idea ! Positive Regards, Bob.