Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.4 Roof Aerial

daiashthomas

what aerial would be suitable for the new rav4.4 as the original is too long and makes hell of a noise when driving through multi-storey car parks due to it hitting the roof and light fittings!

it is flexible but annoying.

don't mind spending money if the cheap bee sting/stubby ones are not suitable?

cheers dudes

Is the aerial mast a male or female fitting?

male

Had a similar problem with my 2009 Auris (the original aerial mast was catching on the inside of the garage door when raised), and found that the aerial mast from the current VW Polo fitted (rubber stubby mast) - about £15. When I bought my current Auris, that came with a shorter rubber aerial and doesn't cause a problem with the garage door. Both male fittings.

Could try an aerial mast from a post-facelift, first generation Auris (2010-2012).

The second generation Auris (Dec 2012 onwards) again has a long aerial mast.

Could also have a look at the Richbrook aerial masts that Halfords sell - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=richbrook+aerial+mast&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Just a thought about DAB - presumably you have a DAB aerial as well somewhere (probably on one of the rear side windows). If you do, then replacing the roof aerial mast may not make any difference to DAB reception. If you don't have a separate DAB aerial, replacing the roof aerial may make a difference to DAB reception.

Yeah dab aerials are on rear quarter windows.

but this aerial thats on the roof has got a wire wrapped around the main stem then its all covered in a black heat shrink, wasn't sure if that's normal?

The OE aerial masts on my 2006 Corolla and 2009 Auris were like that, and replacing the one on the Auris with the VW rubber stubby one didn't affect reception.

2009/12 RAV is a short mast.

post-30983-0-70395900-1371609293_thumb.j

2009/12 RAV is a short mast.

attachicon.giftoyota-rav4-2009-euro-img_5.jpg

Not sure I should say this on here but when faced with a similar problem ( before I changed the garage door! ), I used the short rubber ariel from a Honda CRV. From memory it was about £20.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cut mine in half and and sealed the end with epoxy glue and it worked fine but now have a short Ninja - try www.motorcare.co.uk

Price was fair and delivered quickly - check the best lenght as there are three as I recall

Guy

• 2 months later...

The DAB aerials are attached to the small rear windows so the size of the Aerial on the roof does not matter for DAB reception.

Not found any difference to reception but use DAB most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Just fitted this today so now I can get under the garage door without scraping.

Toyota OEM stubby for £16.20 delivered. Perfect fit.

null_zps39786392.jpg