Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4-D Headgasket Issue

tubaman

I'm starting to think the headgasket issue is nowhere near as bad as it appears on this forum.

Spoke to head technician at a local large main dealership in Preston last week and he said he had never had to rebuild a D4D or had to have a short engine fitted for the notorious headgasket issue. Whilst he may have been economical with the truth, I would have thought he would have come across several in last 5 years or so.

On a forum like this, you tend to only hear about the owners who have had problems with their engines and not the rest that dont.

It's a pity we dont have some numbers or a percentage of engines with problems from Toyota.

I've got a 2006 D4D D-Cat with 84k miles on the clock and shortly to exceed the extended 7 year warranty so I have a vested interest in finding out how bad the problem actually is.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

If it isn't burning loads of oil or chucking coolant out of the overflow, I honestly wouldn't worry - my 08 2.2 has just had a new engine at 59k, but to be honest what can you buy of any make that doesn't have problems? Just keep it well maintained and enjoy it. I have a mate that works for Toyota says its common, but then he sees all the bad ones - just like my bmw techie mate, he reckons beemers are crap, but of course they aren't - again he sees all the bad ones! Nice car the T180 Avensis, very nearly bought one myself, to me they stand out so much more than the ordinary models.

Maybe we could do a poll on here somehow? You know the sort of thing, put up the details of the models affected and get owners to vote yes or no to whether theirs has had a problem. Mine is still going strong on 108k.

I did some guesstimating a few weeks/months ago on here based on some figures that were purported at the time to have come from a Toyota source. I can't remember exactly but it worked out in the low single figures. So, definitely enough for it to show up as a separate issue but in nos. (rather than cost) terms it's probably not even classed as significant.

Maybe we could do a poll on here somehow? You know the sort of thing, put up the details of the models affected and get owners to vote yes or no to whether theirs has had a problem. Mine is still going strong on 108k.

There was one of those kicking around on here but it meant nothing, it was probably very biased for a number of reasons

1: People look for answers to problems on forums and would vote they were having problems

2: People dont come looking on the net to take part in a pole to say they have not had issues with their car

It does not affect every car out there, but he could not possibly have not seen one car in 5 years with an engine problem, I just don't believe it (As Victor once said)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links