We're having weird engine codes. We were running at 110 km/h towards
local city on a freeway when the lights came up. This was after about 2
hours of driving on the same day.

We took her to local dealership, which, after clearing codes and
changing alternator belt said it's about clogged DPF. They made some
kind of purification run of 3 hours but after 100 km the problem
persists.

Any suggestions, please, anyone?

The latest codes are: P1604, P2002, C1201, C1380, C1280, B1801, B1811.

JTMBC33V50D00872.

I think this is a very common problem, it could be covered under an extended warranty, looks like you DPF is blocked, I have had the same codes here in the UK but only three times and in all three cases we hammered the three vehicles down the motorway for about 1/2 hour at 80mph and all three are now code free after 5 months but the chaps who own the three vehicles do drive like wussies, they need to do more than 60mph when they come and go home from work

The dpf can be purged with a chemical bath which costs about £300 over here. I would suggest using good quality diesel and low ash oil.

I don't know what local conditions are applied to the warranty in your country but it is worth writing to Toyota.

"...they need to do more than 60mph..."

Good advice.

For heaven's sake, it's absolutely a basic given that all diesels need a reasonably regular high-speed "blast" (60mph+, and some full-throttle acceleration) to shift soot and grot from the exhaust system. All the more so if the vehicle is fitted with either an oxidation catalyst or a DPF.

This straightforward purge should be done at least once a month (or more often), and for an absolute minimum of 5-10 minutes.

It's also a long-accepted wise move on the way to an MoT, and will help the smoke-test (exhaust opacity) test figure no end.

Diesels DO NOT thrive on a constant diet of tiddling about on light throttle at low revs!

Chris

Has anyone thought about making a hole in the DPF from the inlet to outlet, I have a chum who did this on a Disco it was noisier but only just, the DPF fault code was deleted, it passed an MOT and ran great, I was wanting to give this a go on one of the three Toyota's with the bad DPF's but the owners (don't blame them) didn't trust me???

The hole propably would work as I read it's only a pressure meter inside. It doesn't make the car any more env friendly, though.

I'll shop a round for the DPF bath. I know (now) that ten minutes 3k+ revs constant is a requirement on DPF vehicles. This should be maybe once every tank fill or two.

For heaven's sake, it's absolutely a basic given that all diesels need a reasonably regular high-speed "blast" (60mph+, and some full-throttle acceleration) to shift soot and grot from the exhaust system. All the more so if the vehicle is fitted with either an oxidation catalyst or a DPF.

Basically this but I don't about that full-throttle acceleration. Giving lots of acceleration under 3k rpm will create a lot of soot. Maybe semi-high acceleration under 3k and high acceleration over 3k?

"Maybe semi-high acceleration under 3k and high acceleration over 3k?"

Sounds ok to me. The real need is to get some high-velocity and hot gases flowing through the exhaust system, to purge it.

Chris

If you want to be friendly to the big wide world, try a push bike, the particles you produce are a bare minimum to what China is doing at present, or you could buy a new DPF. I must point out I love a Chineese take away, The cleaning of our exhaust gases as gone over-board, The cost to the planet of producing a DPF with the life span they have is counter productive, But it makes money for the Big companies, we need to wake up and find ways of getting round these contraptions, I hope no Chinese are offended by this reply, My Rav4 was built in Japan the carbon foot print I have caused by buying it from Japan will never be corrected,

• Like 1

In the words of Jim Royal...............

Carbon footprint my arrrrse

You buy a bottle of water in a PET bottle and it has the carbon footprint the size of your house............dont get me started :lol:

• Like 2

Now, now, Kingo . . . Just remember Tom Lehrer's advice: "Don't drink the water, don't breathe the air...!

:dontgetit:

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Have also had this problem. Had the 3/4 engine replacement in March 2012 on my 2006 T180 following an MOT where the technician noticed the coolant was a little low. This came as a surprise to me as I had not noticed any problem. However, since then `i have increasingly found stuttering of power when accelerating harder than normal. When I spoke to Snows Toyota they suggested the EGR valve needed cleaning. I decided to do this myself and see if it would save the cost of them doing it and solve the issue. I was also a little unsure as to why i was getting this issue after a new engine when I had not experienced it in the first 5 years (55000 miles) of driving this car.I cleaned out the EGR but it was not particularly badly sooted up. I put it back and the stuttering went away. Convinced that this was the solution i moved on...... until it occurred again a few thousand miles later. Performed an EGR clean again and moved on . This process I have repeated three times in the last year.. The last time I did it was at the end of July.

I should say that my normal driving to and from work is a journey of 12 miles down the M27. Takes about 20 mins with a little bit of stop start at the beginning in the morning and end in the evening. Most of it is at 70 mph.

In august we drove to Glasgow and then on to Aberdeen to visit son. Had a really clear journey no traffic delays so cruising along at national speed limit in 6th gear on cruise control. half way up started to experience the stuttering problem again .I was a bit concerned by this as I had only recently cleaned the EGR although it had not been clogged. when we arrived in Aberdeen I called and made an appointment with Snows Toyota for the following Friday when we would be home. However matters took there own course on the way down the A1. As we were approaching Wetherby services the Cruise control cam off and i got three warnings ( Check Engine Management.. Check 4X4... Check VSC). The car slowed to 50 mph , had no power, no revs and no acceleration. I now know this is called 'LIMP MODE'.

Cut a long story short, RAC attended diagnosed P2002, unable to perform regeneration, spent a night in a very nice b+b in Harrogate, went to Toyota Karesborough, who performed regeneration 3 times and thought they were successful, charged me £83 and sent us on our way. As soon as we got back on A1 car began to stutter and we managed 90 miles before it failed and went into "LIMP' again. RAC attended again and we went to Toyota in Derby. They were unwilling to do anything as the regeneration had not worked at the other dealership. So we were trailered the 170 miles home!!

Car now in Snows Toyota awaiting a solution. They had it for the day on Friday and went through the 30+ page diagnostic . This led them to a bulletin from Toyota prompting them to call and discuss with them. They upshot is they have suggested replacing the fuel filter and fuel filter body along with a ECU update. This i don't understand. how can a fuel filter bring about the P2002 code? My understanding is that this is to do with a blocked DPF that is preventing the engine from getting the correct flow of gasses in and out. what has this got to do with the fuel filter???

I would be interested, if anyone has had the time to read though the above, in any ideas or thoughts.

Purely a guess here but if fuel flow is restricted/intermittent, then combustion would be uneven, resulting in equally uneven flow of exhaust gasses through the DPF. Not what the ECU would expect and, therefore, a fault thrown up :ermm:

Thanks DavRav,

You might right but who knows? To be honest the technician seemed very unsure himself but thought, with my permission, it was worth a try as it would be cheaper than the alternatives? I guess this includes replacement of the DPF. My question will be "but if the DPF IS the problem why did the diagnostic not lead you there?"

Cheers

If you've had success (clearing the stuttering) three times by removing and cleaning the EGR valve, would it be an idea to try blanking it off - just by way of experiment - to see whether the engine prefers running on "clean air" ?

I'm no expert on the T180 (have done it successfully on our 2003 4.2), but others will let you know the easiest way to do this on yours. An easy thing to try.

Really frustrating that Toyota themselves don't seem to have a clue.

Chris

Dealer wil lnot do it for you more than likely....you will need to do it yourself. Ask on here if any nice English lawnmower technicians have any spare blanking pieces......LOL.......

Correct Big min.

No dealer will blank the EGR.

I have a few blanks left,but only for the cylinder head end.

Opinion seems to be you need to blank it at both ends for it to work properly.

I tried it twice on my 180, and limped home both times.

But you have nothing to lose by trying it out.

Dead easy to make,so PM your address if you want one.

I had all these problems with my T180 and Toyota said I needed a new cat and DPF at the cost of nearly £2k, however, I complained to Toyota and they done it as a goodwill gesture, then I noticed it was using oil so had the engine replaced a month later! I think the 2 are linked!?

Lucky you that your car wa snot over 7 years old. Mine is now 7 and a half, so the extended warrantee won't apply :(

.........'tried changing the fuel filter?

The Dealer has now changed the fuel filter and fuel filter housing along with an EMU upgrade........ as I thought no change. Dealer now going to refer back to Toyota technical services. I informed dealer that I had logged the story so far with Toyota Customer relations. I gave the dealer the referece huber.

My view after reading everything here is that the car is fundamentally flawed, having had this DPNF fitted to comply with the emission rules. When I purchased it in March 2006 nobody mentioned that in order for the DPNF to function properly I would need to drive the car in a particular way to ensure that the aut-regeneration could effectively happen. I understand that manufactures now make this pint to car buyers. This seems to me to be a design flaw. Cars are meant to be driven on our roads. My normal commute is not in stop start traffic. It is @ 12 miles, with @ 9 of that on a motorway, usually at 60 - 70 mph. with very little stop start.

I await to hear what they have to say tomorrow >.<

Hi,

Have also had this problem. Had the 3/4 engine replacement in March 2012 on my 2006 T180 following an MOT where the technician noticed the coolant was a little low. This came as a surprise to me as I had not noticed any problem. However, since then `i have increasingly found stuttering of power when accelerating harder than normal. When I spoke to Snows Toyota they suggested the EGR valve needed cleaning. I decided to do this myself and see if it would save the cost of them doing it and solve the issue. I was also a little unsure as to why i was getting this issue after a new engine when I had not experienced it in the first 5 years (55000 miles) of driving this car.I cleaned out the EGR but it was not particularly badly sooted up. I put it back and the stuttering went away. Convinced that this was the solution i moved on...... until it occurred again a few thousand miles later. Performed an EGR clean again and moved on . This process I have repeated three times in the last year.. The last time I did it was at the end of July.

I should say that my normal driving to and from work is a journey of 12 miles down the M27. Takes about 20 mins with a little bit of stop start at the beginning in the morning and end in the evening. Most of it is at 70 mph.

In august we drove to Glasgow and then on to Aberdeen to visit son. Had a really clear journey no traffic delays so cruising along at national speed limit in 6th gear on cruise control. half way up started to experience the stuttering problem again .I was a bit concerned by this as I had only recently cleaned the EGR although it had not been clogged. when we arrived in Aberdeen I called and made an appointment with Snows Toyota for the following Friday when we would be home. However matters took there own course on the way down the A1. As we were approaching Wetherby services the Cruise control cam off and i got three warnings ( Check Engine Management.. Check 4X4... Check VSC). The car slowed to 50 mph , had no power, no revs and no acceleration. I now know this is called 'LIMP MODE'.

Cut a long story short, RAC attended diagnosed P2002, unable to perform regeneration, spent a night in a very nice b+b in Harrogate, went to Toyota Karesborough, who performed regeneration 3 times and thought they were successful, charged me £83 and sent us on our way. As soon as we got back on A1 car began to stutter and we managed 90 miles before it failed and went into "LIMP' again. RAC attended again and we went to Toyota in Derby. They were unwilling to do anything as the regeneration had not worked at the other dealership. So we were trailered the 170 miles home!!

Car now in Snows Toyota awaiting a solution. They had it for the day on Friday and went through the 30+ page diagnostic . This led them to a bulletin from Toyota prompting them to call and discuss with them. They upshot is they have suggested replacing the fuel filter and fuel filter body along with a ECU update. This i don't understand. how can a fuel filter bring about the P2002 code? My understanding is that this is to do with a blocked DPF that is preventing the engine from getting the correct flow of gasses in and out. what has this got to do with the fuel filter???

I would be interested, if anyone has had the time to read though the above, in any ideas or thoughts.

The modified Fuel filter and filter housing are to improve fuel flow to the 5th injector, as the old filter began to clog through normal use the restriction caused a lack of fuel to the 5th injector. The 5th injector is used to fire fuel into the DPNR for regeneration, the ECU reprogramme is to update the ECU to factor in the altered fuel flow.

Ok , Latest

Toyota advised them to now attempt a regeneration. so they tried that and it was not able to complete afetr driving up and down the M27 . So another technician from their sister lexus dealership suggested blocking some pipes? and trying it. They did and this time were able to complete the regeneration?

I am about to go and collect the car. No guarantee that this is the fault cured. Still have unanswered questions. Why did it block in the first place? when it is supposed to unblock itself periodically via the fifth injector? if it did it before it will do it again as we have not found the answer to the first two questions ??

The Technician says he wants to drive it for another 50 miles before he is convinced he has cracked it. I need the car back so I am going to drive it and see if i notice any improvement or problems. I just cant believe on system with so much monitoring and control that it is impossible to find the cause of this problem other than it being design that is flawed.

As per post 24 the fuel filter and casing issue can cause the 5th injector not to operate correctly, also excessive engine oil consumption can cause excessive amounts of soot for the filter to handle. monitor your oil consumption along with the dealer as if the cause is oil consumption then a replacement engine is needed to prevent another clogged DPNR.

Otherwise the modified filter, casing and reprogrammed ECU along with a forced regeneration should have sorted the issue.