Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dpf Problems?

anttir

"...they need to do more than 60mph..."

Good advice.

For heaven's sake, it's absolutely a basic given that all diesels need a reasonably regular high-speed "blast" (60mph+, and some full-throttle acceleration) to shift soot and grot from the exhaust system. All the more so if the vehicle is fitted with either an oxidation catalyst or a DPF.

This straightforward purge should be done at least once a month (or more often), and for an absolute minimum of 5-10 minutes.

It's also a long-accepted wise move on the way to an MoT, and will help the smoke-test (exhaust opacity) test figure no end.

Diesels DO NOT thrive on a constant diet of tiddling about on light throttle at low revs!

Chris

I live about 4 miles from work - all dual carriageway. Therefore I would hit 60/70 but for a short time. however, on the weekend I would normally do a 30 miler on the motorway - do you think this would be ok? The reason for asking is that I have seen a diesel I like, but am scared of the DPF

Most of my driving is B roads and motorways, so that's 40 mph up to 70mph nearly all week and my DPNR blocked.

So we can all chuck in our views about this, in my opinion, it's pure pot luck and as usual I got the crap at the bottom of the pot!!

• 5 years later...

I have had same problem for last few months.

I started by a regeneration which lasted about a week, I then had another similar result. Next to main dealer who replaced 5th injector lasted a week they then replaced fuel pup housing and of course regeneration after each again about a week it lasted, they have no suggestions other than replace dpf about £2500 which for a 62 plate rav4 is questionable. 

Another garage did a power cleaning dpf + injector clean total £336 this lasted less than week about 140 miles.  Must have spent £700+ over last few months and back to limp mode.

HELP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links