Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Take On Mpg (Gen Iii)

Dave R.

I thought I'd start a new thread as this has nothing to do with running the petrol tank dry :)

On the topic of fuel economy and what's a realistic MPG for a Prius....

I've had a Prius for nearly 4 years. My first Prius was happily getting mid-to low 50's mpg (acceptable, but nothing like the "hypermilers") until it had 4 new tyres, after which it dropped to high 40's / low 50's (disappointing). If you look back in this forum you'll find my posts on the topic.

My new Prius (Sept 12) had improved mpg - but still around 52 or so to the gallon. During this time, I had a 50 mile (each way) commute to work, down country lanes and A roads, so was cruising at 60 or doing a reasonable bit of stopping and starting at junctions.

Just recently my base location has changed - my daily commute is just 25 miles each way - and this is on a mix of traffic queues into major junctions, followed by 55-70mph cruises down 3 or 4 mile stretches of motorway / expressway. My average consumption is now creeping up into the mid 50's, whilst the computer (always optimistic) is regularly showing my commute has averaged 62mpg.

So - (as this is a regular topic for newbies in this forum) - some more evidence and comment on fuel consumption ...... from my experience, it's not unusual to be getting only 50mpg from a Prius.... it depends on the type of motoring you are doing. If you do a lot of motorway or A road cruising above 55mph, then your consumption will drop to low 50's. A more mixed journey with traffic-jams and clear expressways, then you will edge towards 60 to the gallon. Get a flat-cap and potter along at 30-50mph, then you may end up joining the ranks of hypermilers at over 60 to the gallon.

NOTE: the above is based on a) not driving like an idiot attempting to get from A to B as quickly as possible and b) not driving around at a snail's pace or worrying extensively about pulse and glide or other hybrid mpg tactics... it's just trying to drive smoothly and anticipate stops.

When I ran a Prius I always averaged about 57 MPG on a short 6 mile commute down fairly quiet roads, plus a regular 100 round trip at weekends on A roads

I then swaped to an Auris Hybrid, always got 55 MPG

Ive been in a 1.33 Yaris for a while and have had to endure 45 MPG :eek:

I have today swapped into a Yaris Hybrid. Too early to comment on MPG but I have moved house and now commute 40 miles a day, mostly A roads and the busy A55 dual carriageway

Kingo :thumbsup:

Only had my Prius for 4 months, used 'Fuelly' from day 1 and getting 59.7mpg, although car computer reads 62.6.

Mixed driving, and, although (I hope) not quite a 'flat-cap' driver, i am retired, but don't think I've hardly ever exceeded 70mph (yet!). Last week completed a 225 mile journey (Gloucester - Hereford - Swansea and return) with 4 comfortably-sized adults on board, computer showed 60.6. Creditable enough I think, even allowing for the over-optimism of the thing.

On a recent journey using motorway and A roads travelling mostly at 70MPH the computer showed best consumption as 63.9 MPG.

I seem to get a better MPG using non super market fuel.

On a recent journey using motorway and A roads travelling mostly at 70MPH the computer showed best consumption as 63.9 MPG.

I seem to get a better MPG using non super market fuel.

not the brand / supermarket fuel discussion again, surely.... :bangin:

On the topic of fuel economy and what's a realistic MPG for a Prius....

Fuelly.com shows a range of realistic Prius mpg data (other cars too).

So - (as this is a regular topic for newbies in this forum) - some more evidence and comment on fuel consumption ...... from my experience, it's not unusual to be getting only 50mpg from a Prius.... it depends on the type of motoring you are doing. If you do a lot of motorway or A road cruising above 55mph, then your consumption will drop to low 50's. A more mixed journey with traffic-jams and clear expressways, then you will edge towards 60 to the gallon. Get a flat-cap and potter along at 30-50mph, then you may end up joining the ranks of hypermilers at over 60 to the gallon.

Last weekend I did a trip to Leeds and back with 2 adults and luggage. 520 miles, average speed 51mph, lots of motorways, A roads, backroads (to get round the Friday afternoon jams), etc. Actual mpg = 60mpg (dashboard mpg = 64.5). No cloth cap but I did have to wear shades. :afro:

FWIW. If you potter around at 30-50 mph you can get into to 80+ mpg range. ;)

This forum does have reasons for poor mpg mentioned from time to time.

The regular reasons are:

Tyre pressure.

Ambient temperature.

Driving style.

Wrong kind of oil.

Wrong kind of tyres.

Driving with the windows open.

My weekend driving (Fri-Mon) with about 100 miles on the clock has produced an average 60.9 MPG, very happy with that as over half that mileage was at motorway speed (Yaris Hybrid)

Kingo :thumbsup: