Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Plipper

scimberk

More IQ problems for me.

I've got an IQ base model, every time I lock/unlock using my key mounter plipper, I set of my neighbours door bell and when I visit my friends, it sets off his neighbours house and caravan alarm.

Has anyone else had plipper problems or is my car just being a pain?

It must be operating on the same radio frequency. Neighbour should be able to change the radio frequency of their doorbell fairly easily. You must also be parking within range of the doorbell.

The same applies to the house/caravan alarm, but this may not be so easy to reset the frequency. Try parking a few feet further away.

Alternatively you could possibly get the frequency adjusted on the IQ - though this may be more expensive.

I've taken it back to toyota for them to sort it

Just coincidence that the radio frequency is the same.

Actually its 433.92 mhz. It is the allocated license exempt frequency. All UK key fobs, wireless door bells, remote controls , tpms use the same frequency. The problem is most doorbells receivers are very basic and consist of a poor cheap tuned circuit instead of a proper radio circuit. They respond to all sorts of signal. In fact the lady next door to me gets hers triggered by me and it plays a different tune than the one selected. So she knows its a false ring. There is nothing you can do about it, its just cheap imported poor quality equipment The good news is the receiver in the iQ is very good with a lot of filtering so that wont false trigger. The only thing to suggest is putting yourself between the fob and the doorbells. And be close tho the car. Unfortunately, its hardly a "remote" control then

David

I have put myself between it re the doorbell, but the burglar alarm is being triggered from nearly 50 yards away. It's odd that the IQ plipper sets off both things but not the Mercedes, Grand Vitara,Alto,Bora,Wrangler, Clio or Scenic. It couldn't possibly be that the Toyota plipper may be a little amiss could it?

Follow up. You may well say but the fobs are individually coded? Yes they are usually 128bit or 256bit stream. But a door bell not requiring security uses something like 4 or 8 bit with no check sum so when it see's a string of bits, if 4 or 8 of them are the same as the ones required for a tune it will accept then and Ding Dong. So if your fob is sending say 128bits, the chances are a group of 4or 8 will trigger the bells

David

Are you saying that the cars you mentioned, their fobs are not setting off alarms and bells locally or are you saying the iQ fob is not interfering with the cars. The coded 433.92mhz frequency as i said uses 128 or 256 bit coding. But there are many groups that are used which are agreed in the motor manufacturing industry. So could be the Toyota band is unfortunately in the band that triggers your local equipment. Problem of UK frequency allocation using the same frequency for everything license exempt

David

Only the toyota fob causes problems with local alarms in 2 different areas now. The other car plippers do not interfere with either the other cars or doorbell alarms, so, as far as I am aware the only thing causing problems is the toyota plipper. It's odd that 7 other fobs from 5 different manufacturers are not causing a problem, but the one Toyota one is. It may be down to frequencies and bits, but the evidence for me is that the Toyota is at fault. By the way my mates cars, range rover, fiat 500, ford ka and smart to name some, don't cause problems either.

Ahh, the good old days of a key and a physical lock, seem to be gone forever ! KISS

Not at our house. There's stills few there that need that old fashioned twist of the wrist, be it Reliant, Mercedes or other.

My local Toyota dealer has said nothing can be done I could think of one thing I could do to make it better, so have done it.

And that was?

A combination of poor service, performance faults, missing parts and documents and a plipper that set off alarms meant it was no use to me, so the dealer has promised a refund.

Shame really, I liked that little car, its a pity my experience was ruined. I may buy another but I'm not going to pay a main dealer premium price for not so premium service.

It is a shame it came to that, I hope you find another one more suitable.

I've visited a few toyota dealerships and am in one right now. I am finding their cars very tatty, dented and scratched on the forecourt and the staff very pushy. Not looking good so far.

Its not a fault. Unless your key fob is faulty and transmitting not only the valid code for your car, but also out of band wide band RF "noise" covering a wide bandwidth. Do you have 2 key fobs with your car?

David

Not any more, but I did have, both caused the problems listed, even though my other cars with similar systems, visitors cars and my IQ2 dont, so, if it isnt a fault, its a similar thing by a diffrent name.