Do Not Sell My Personal Information

External Temperature Reading

faffer

Car is a company 2011 TR 2.0D 71k, no complaints with it so far. This week I have noticed that the external temperature reading on the dash is fluctuating between -40 up to what I assume is the actual temperature. Whilst this in itself is quite amusing to witness, does it have any knock on affect on the AC?.

Wouldn't think so, surely the air con will have internal temp sensors?

I agree. Can't see it affecting the aircon . I would, however, get it checked - especially as it is a company car. At least then you have fulfilled your duty as a responsible user. Also, this odd symptom may be an indication of something more sinister. If Toyota check it out for you then you and your company are covered.

Thanks, I would have pointed it out at servicing anyway (at 10k intervals it is in the Toyota garage quite often) but wondered if I should be making a special trip there.

At 71k miles you seem to be 9k off a service. Maybe just give them a call and see what they recommend - you will probably get the standard 'fetch it in and we will have a look. take about an hour' but at least you can snaffle all their biscuits and coffee while you are there!

The next service is next week @71300 (ran over last time (future booking services with leave etc it is a bit of a guess at best)). Anyhow called into the garage to have a chat with the mechanics apparently the -40 reading is a symptom of either a loose connection or imminent failure of the external temp sensor, which is sited behind the front bumper. So they will be having a look at it then.

Well that's all good then - but did you get the biscuits?

Clearly nothing to worry about!.

Picked the car up after its service and was told by their service desk that the external sensor needs to be replaced and to let them know next time the car is coming in so that it can be done then.

All sorted. Um, did they mention whether it was covered by warranty or whether your company will need to pay?

Didn't ask. Just collected keys and nodded when being told about different items that had been replaced.

During the previous chat with the mechanics indications were @18 months it would be covered under warranty.

• 2 months later...

The car recently had its 80k service and the sensor replaced, on collection still not working. Took the car back and a technician had a look at it while I was there, the wiring loom seems to have a broken wire near the plug. Lease company and Toyota are now discussing options (loom replacement probably not covered under Toyota 80k warranty).

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd update this. For the 90k service, car went to a non main dealer who repaired the loom and the temperature readings have been okay since.

Good old fashioned repair rather than replace eh? Imagine that. It will never catch on......