Do Not Sell My Personal Information

05' Rav4 D4D ..........5Th Gear Worn

gud529

Following my last post on top gear vibration; ......5th gear is now removed and shows significant wear to Hub splines, Sleeve splines, lead in "noses" on 5th Gear, surface on Needle rollers. More than enough wear, to feel the play when locked into mesh. Contacted Toyota customer support, and stated my case that at 60k and bearing in mind that the car was registered two years after the g/box. mod. was introduced, with full service history...........would they compromise and sell me parts at cost to themselves............Answer as expected was a no. So advice please on where i can find the bits i need? Thanks Ray'

Hi Ray,

Not a helpful reply from Toyota, it seems. The 5th gear wear problem, IIRC, arose with 4.1's, and continued with 4.2's (the gearbox was essentially the same). Incidences of 5th gear wear continued for many years, with some vehicles never being affected, and others only affected after significant mileages (like yours). During this time, modified parts (with new part numbers) were introduced to overcome the problem, and - I guess - some parts may have been modified more than once. Perhaps this explains your experience of a wear issue on a vehicle that post-dates the (first) introduction of modified parts . . .

Anyway, see the Pinned article

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/136334-replacing-5th-gear-on-41-and-42-gearboxes/

on our site, and go armed with your VIN to any Toyota parts counter to order the very latest parts for this job.

Kingo (this site) may well be able to offer you a good deal on these genuine Toyota parts. Do not be tempted to fit anything else.

I've done the job - as Pinned and written up by myself and many others - and it has completely solved the problem. 5th gear wear is not confined to Toyota: many "end of shaft" 5th gears have been known to wear, from more than one 'box manufacturer.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for reply Chris; agree with all your advice..............repaired many "outboard" 5th gear hubs in my time.............a fair weight spinning fast supported by one bearing only needs a bit of play to vibrate and resonate ...........just thought Toyota quality wouldn't do this. Was going to wait until the right bits came along, but looks like this is not going to happen, so will phone round your numbers for the best price . I have a feeling that the rest of the box' is suspect as well, as you say some give trouble many don't..........may trade it against a later rav auto, what are your views on these?.............Thanks again Ray'

I done my 5th gear about 5k ago, I managed to get all my parts direct from Japan and even with postage,duty etc saved over £180.00 on uk prices. All genuine toyota parts. Also tried with no luck to get toyota to help in some way but wouldn't budge. If you know the part numbers you require just go onto wwww.amayama.com took 14 days to come as was over Xmas and sat at custom's for 5 days waiting for them to send me an invoice before they would release them. Chris was very helpfull also with good advice on how to do. Kingo helped with part numbers as I had some wrong numbers.

• Like 1

Agree totally with your comments about the one-ended support the 5th gear assembly gets on many boxes. Presumably this owes its existence to the fact that many 5-speed boxes were derived from their 4-speed ancestors, and the additional gears were just "tacked on the end". Newer 6-speeders presumably have leapfrogged all this, and everything enjoys double ended support. Maybe a real nasty transmission shock while in 5th is enough to distort the "dangling" cluster, and let the wear and vibration set in.

Can't help, I'm afraid, with any advice on a RAV auto - but some other folk will be able to, I'm sure.

Had quite forgotten about Grumpy's far-eastern sourcing too. Old age, I suppose!

Chris

• Like 1

Chris.....Grumpy was a vertically challenged, overweight person who had trouble cultivating facial hair. How you can possibly co-relate this to ma mate Kin.......aye, well.....on second thoughts......if the cap fits........

• Like 1

Thanks,Grumpy, Chris, Kev,; Saving money by buying O.E. parts direct from Japan is just what i was looking for................it's a toss up who's meanest Scots' or Yorkshire men, bred in grimy south yorkshire its pobably me. Chris it looks like i'm not the only one who has a passion for all things mechanical, i also share your bad memory as i get older................growing old gracefully is not in my book.......................Ray'