Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sorry An Oil Question..

CharlieFarlie

Not sure so Im asking... I was today gifted 10 litres of Morrisis Multivis 5W30 semi synthetic.. Is this suitable for the T180 or should it be fully synthetic ? I used Toyota brand last time and cant remember what it was ??

Thanks !.....

Enter your number plate on Morris' website and it tells you usually. (Primary choice and alternative sometimes)

Dave

Enter your number plate on Morris' website and it tells you usually. (Primary choice and alternative sometimes)

Dave

Exactly the oil I bought on recommendation for my SR180, Charlie. Morris service was also spot on.
  • Like 1

Although Toyota say a 5w30 semi A1 oil can be used because of the nature of the D-CAT system with its 5th injector, I would strongly recommend using a low ash C2 5w30 to help keep the egr and DPNR clean (as these can give bother as you well know!). Total sell a very good 5w30 C2 Oil (Quartz) for £33 delivered for 6 litres on the eBay of e! that's designed for PSA HDi and Toyota diesel engines! That's what im going to use for the next oil change with genuine Toyota filters!

I actually had 5 litres of Castrol Magnetec 5w30 A1 Fully synth that I gave to my aunt for her Ford, as I wouldn't put it in my 2.2 D-CAT although the handbook says its fine! My dealer also uses 5w30 C2 oil on their 2.2 dervs.

As blackts says a T180/SR180 or any Toyota diesel with DPF/DPNR needs an oil with a C2 "low ash" specification anything else can cause carbon build up issues especially in the D-CAT/DPF.

See this Morris oil http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idcat=36&idProduct=252 it meets the required specs

With recent events in mind it might be prudent to use C2 oil although I must say that when Guy brought me his T180 for an interim oil change, the Toyota main dealer had given him Toyota FE5W/30 semi synthetic (same as Morris's). They assured him that was being used on the full services.

No doubt you are right Anchorman and the parts guy was correct, but I can't help thinking that lack of a low ash oil probably made DPNR and EGR problems worse on this engine at the start, as Devon said the dealers are now using low ash oils on this engine and that would have to be for a reason.

For anyone interested here's a post for the total stuff I recommend - Bargain at £33 for 6 litres delivered!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=151065394419

I had forgotten there had been a drift towards C2 low ash oils, so apologies for memory lapse Charlie. When I challenged my dealer at last service I had done on the SR180, they looked at me blankly and told me at the time, June 2012, they did not stock it and had no insrtuctions to do so. At the mileages Charlie USED to do, normal 5w30 wold probably have been totally fine and any muck blown oot by motorway mileages.....a deffo ME theory.....?

I now have 0w30 to finance in the SR, so off with guitar busking.....

Big Kev

This is the stuff for post 2011 models with DPF and optimal drive engines. It includes all 4.4 models. Sit down.................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobil-1-0W-30-ESP-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-MOB-151902-6-6x1L-6-Litre-/181155503386?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a2db59d1a

Mike JD drinks cheaper whisky than that !!!

@ anchorman - yea that's a C2 low saps oil so that would be suitable as well - cant help thinking that 0w30 is very thin tho!

Do you think that Mobil stuff is worth twice the money of the Total stuff? Total oils are a major concern and recommended by peugeot!

@ anchorman - yea that's a C2 low saps oil so that would be suitable as well - cant help thinking that 0w30 is very thin tho!

All the better for getting into those 'important little places'............

My local stealer used 5w-30 ESP semi syn on my last service, bought 1xLT @ £8.00 to keep on board, used 820 m/lt in 3000 miles

B-A

"Thin oil". It cannot be compressed any further than water (or at least not what is measureable in an engine).

Low viscosity oil is quick getting round as David says but in optimal drive engines, it is the low friction that allows you to get the economy as well. When oil is forced into the tiny gaps of the many rotating parts of an engine it has has to be twisted like chewing gum and the easier it twists the lower the mechanical losses.

Is it worth double? It depends what you want for your engine. Mine stands a lot and when I kick it up I think lower viscosity oil almost certainly reduces the risk of physical contact. It might also improve fuel consumption on an already voracious appetite for premium diesel so for me it isn't worth risking not using it. If the !Removed! use it in the factory, its good enough for me.

The days of "gap filling" with thick oil are gone (unless you own a LR). Today it is viscosity that matters. If you want to use old terminology, generally these days, thinner is better but that usually means more expensive.

Yea, I understand where you are coming from. Thing is though the Total Quartz 5w30 C2 is a premium oil as well, its normally £50 for 5 litres - it's an exceptionally good price in eBay atm. I was thinking of changing it every 5,000 miles for the same money as the Mobil. It's not like its carlube, it's top quality stuff. You are right tho, when you consider how much fuel goes through the thing, it's neither here nor there lol

Yea, I understand where you are coming from. Thing is though the Total Quartz 5w30 C2 is a premium oil as well, its normally £50 for 5 litres - it's an exceptionally good price in ebay atm. I was thinking of changing it every 5,000 miles for the same money as the mobil. It's not like its carlube, it's top quality stuff. You are right tho, when you consider how much fuel goes through the thing, it's neither here nor there lol

Me being thick....are you comparing 5w30 with 0w30 Mobil One C3 that goes in the SR me and others are referring to?

@Big Kev - Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 and 5w30 has c2/c3 certification (as far as I am aware) - the oil I fancy is Total Quartz 5w30 C2 oil (recommended by total for Toyota D4D and PSA HDi engines)

@Big Kev - Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 and 5w30 has c2/c3 certification (as far as I am aware) - the oil I fancy is Total Quartz 5w30 C2 oil (recommended by total for Toyota D4D and PSA HDi engines)

@Thanks......unnerstaun.

Mmmmm Guys I put the Morrises oil in yesterday before reading this low ash thing ..... Would it it be fair to say that if I had had the car serviced at the dealers they would have put normal oil like the stuff I have put in ? What would the Toyota branded oil that they put in be ?

My local dealer uses 5w30 c2 low ash oil on the 2.2 D-CAT. I would recommend changing it to a low Ash oil, it could save you a lot of bother in the long run. Devon Aygo works for Toyota and put up an oil sticky from an Internal Toyota document - they recommend 0w30 or 5w30 C2 low ash oil.

Mmmmm Guys I put the Morrises oil in yesterday before reading this low ash thing ..... Would it it be fair to say that if I had had the car serviced at the dealers they would have put normal oil like the stuff I have put in ? What would the Toyota branded oil that they put in be ?

This is barely a short term issue (one oil change). Next time maybe try Morris' MultiLIFE instead. It is a C3 fully synthetic and was the one recommended for my 57 D4D. It's only £69 (+£5 delivery) for 4 x 5L on eBay too, bargain!

(On my second shipment!)

Dave

Eg

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=181029041853

This is barely a short term issue (one oil change). Next time maybe try Morris' MultiLIFE instead. It is a C3 fully synthetic and was the one recommended for my 57 D4D. It's only £69 (+£5 delivery) for 4 x 5L on eBay too, bargain!

(On my second shipment!)

Dave

Eg

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=181029041853

Dave is this the low ash stuff ?

That stuff is low ash but its c3 spec, Toyota ask for a c2 spec - to be honest it shouldn't make a difference but better sticking to what Toyota say, especially as D4Ds are so complicated now