Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaky Diff/gearbox

Tay

Hi all,

I have a 03 1.8 vvti. This morning I noticed a wet patch on the driveway, which seemed clear and quite watery but smelled oily.

I had a quick look under the car and there is quite a lot sludge and dampness around the diff but I can't tell where its coming from.

Do the diff and gearbox share the same oil on my car, and is this something to worry about?

After a day at work there was nothing where I had been parked.

Cheers

Chris

In my (limited) experience, gearbox oil usually stinks. Gearboxes and diffs do usually share the same oil on front wheel drives but I cannot state that the Avensis does with 100% certainty. It may be worth checking your brake fluid level (1) to eliminate it as a possible cause (2) just in case. Has the wet patch dried up (probably coolant or air con condensation) or is it still there (indicating an oil)?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The patch is still on the drive, I thought the same.

Its quite a big patch too, more than a few drops. Thought it was odd it didn't leak any during the day..

I did have the gearbox oil changed last year, so I doubt its got really low in that time.

,,in

I suppose the first thing to do is get under there, give it a good spray with a degreaser and then wash it off - or pop to your local petrol station/car wash with a pressure washer and clean it off there. Saves making a mess at home. I degreased my transit at the car wash - at least that way the oil and crud is contained in the traps rather than running off into the water course.

Once its cleaned up have a look and see if you can find the source of the leak. Then I guess its quotes from your trusted mechanic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links