Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Plan And Poor Customer Service

martynstar

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a 2008 prius and have added the service plan as a way to escape the large bills when it's due, the car had done 76000 when I test drove it with an intermediate service at 73k, they then did another service at 77k and stamped the intermediate section again! Pointless I know!

I get my service plan through and they have reported the plan as a 70k start and it needs a service at 80k, which is a full service...

As it's just had an intermediate service and not a full should I still be taking it back in at 80k the crap sales man won't tell me what they did and won't tell me anything but lies one minute he says it wasn't serviced I show him the service book and he says that's just a stamp... ok... Then he says you don't need to bring it back at 80k but still can't tell me what the service they did covered.. he says he will call me when it needs a service! Well I'm sure Toyota know exactly what the service plan is for and 80k is a full service that I'm wanting and paying for and telling me to come back at 90k for a full service just seems plan stupid...

Everytime I speak to this guy he gives me less trust to believe him!

I don't wanna go on too much more about the collection saga if this car, it was a nightmare in itself I'm just glad its finally in my possession after running out of gas driving out of the garage and everything they were supposed to do not being done

Any advice on what I'm supposed to be doing with this? Should I go in and demand to see the service invoice and then re arrange the plan from there?

Any help will be great as the price all depends on what service and I'm not gonna be ruining the service history or my car by getting this order incorrect!

Martyn

Rather than trying to resolve this with the sales guy - there is obviously something there that means you aren't getting on - can you not arrange to speak to the dealer manager and the service manager and talk it through with them?

As long as you have ask of your documents and the proof to argue your your case, I don't see you having much of a problem once you speak to the people in charge.

Worst case, a quick email to Toyota Head Office outlining the basics and ask to make a formal complaint. But show that you have at least exhausted all options with the dealer first.

Usually it is the Service Department that handles the service plans (ie. preparing quotes, etc), so I would be inclined to talk directly to whoever in Service handles the service plans.

As regards the servicing, intermediate services are due 10,000 miles/twelve months and full services at 20,000 miles 24 months - whichever comes first.

The service plan can be tailored to what you want. Have a look at http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=&edname=Owners-Service-Servicing&id=Owners-Service-Servicing&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=Mall and http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/Owners/service/servicing/ToyotaFixedPriceServicing.pdf. Toyota's Fixed Price Service costs can be used to negotiate a service plan that suits you - you can also build in costs like the 2 yearly brake fluid change, etc.

After the purchase of your Prius, you may receive a customer satisfaction questionnaire from Toyota - Toyota dealers are quite keen to score highly in these. Wouldn't do any harm to drop a hint to the dealership management that you haven't been enamoured with the purchase so far, and this may be reflected in your completed questionnaire.

I had a bad experience with the Toyota Fixed Price Service Costs at my last service, and it's dented my confidence in Toyota somewhat, I have to say.

Crikey you have had a bad experience. Who is this dealer? I have had servicing and repairs with three Toyota dealerships all were very good and the staff always helpful. The advice which has been given to you by other members is good. You must take this up with the dealership service management and report all the problems you have had to Toyota UK. I hope you get it sorted out, please let us know how you get on.

I have a service plan and never had any problems. From what you say you may have a "rogue" dealership. Is it in Reading?

Crikey you have had a bad experience.

I have a service plan and never had any problems.

Likewise, nothing but praise for the last service plan I had with Minories Wearside and have taken out a 5yr plan for my new Hilux.

I've experienced a similar experience when buying a second-hand Vectra from a Vauxhall Main dealer supposedly fully Network-Q guaranteed, where I naively thought it was going to be serviced in their own dealer workshop when it was apparently either not serviced at all or serviced in a back street on the cheap. The salesmen was at least telling you the truth in one instance (rare for sales to be honest!? :) ), pretty much any employee can use the dealer stamp.

Have you checked the condition of the oil by looking at the dip stick?

The intermediate service is normally just an oil and oil filter change, and lot of inspect items - so I either view the £129 as an expensive oil change or a cheap service (IME it's much cheaper than a regular car). If I'd just bought that car, and I had doubts on whether it was serviced, I would check with the service department, as it would be logged on the computer, and if not for peace of mind, I'd have it serviced.

Whilst you talking to the service department, check if any of the recalls for Hybrid coolant pump or steering have been done. If the coolant pump was one of those subject to recall and the pump was replaced, the mechanic would have had to replace the long life coolant as part of the job, i.e. free early replacement of one coolant.

When you sell the car, what mileage and age is the car going to be, is a dealer stamped service book going to worth anything by then? (Just a thought don't bite my head off if you think it would still add to the resale value in the future).

As regards service history, a dealer stamped service book is worth nothing unless it is accompanied by service receipts and other service documentation.

Thanks everyone! My main concern is really the confidence in my car because of the lack of information that they are giving me, my 80k service which they should of just done was a full service but so many times they have not really known what happened to it or flipped on what they told me.

I paid for a three year service plan which included two full and one intermediate and just want to get the plan correctly servicing the car as per Toyota recommends, with these guys telling me come back in a year and don't worry without giving me a correct answer is crazy!! Yeah there was a 80k change needed and we didn't do it but we won't do it at 90k either... Just rings out in my head of possible car damage!

I had loads of issues on pickup day, no supaguard I'd paid for, no mats I'd paid for, ran out of fuel driving off the forecourt, had to keep going back to get books and MOT certs they hadn't given me, and every time I call they day they will ring me back and not once in the two weeks I waited for the car to be prepped did they ever call me back! My wife was going crazy at the lack of customer service so no doubt we won't get a feedback form! Just giving her a break from it for a week before I go in and speak to them, otherwise it seems a everyday issue

Most definitely requires a very strongly worded letter to the Dealer Principal detailing all of your complaints, with a thinly veiled threat to copy it to Toyota Head Office.

The place sounds a shambles, and Toyota need to know their reputation is duly suffering.

If you are going to complain (and you should) the Dealer Principal route is the way to go, with a concurrent copy going to the Dealer Group's Head Office.

Name and shame. Who is this dealer? It might be useful for others to know so that they can steer clear. Business is about survival of the fittest and if a dealer just doesn't provide the service, should this be allowed to continue? Letters copied to head office cant harm the hitherto poor service further can they? I wouldn't bother with posting a letter, e mails are far more direct, quicker and what is more, the person receiving the email can also see that the head office has been copied in for real. All you want is what you've paid for isn't it?

Naming and shaming is OK if one is specific. Part of the issue often comes down to individuals. Not excusing poor service at all, but one needs to be a bit careful about what is said on a public forum..

I dont feel that naming and shaming will really be beneficial at this stage, bear in mind that mine is one experience and is somewhat a feeling that things are just not taking responsibility for the sale, and following a correct course of action, follow ups and just seems to be a total foul up in the system! It is a main dealer and supposedly a well respected one so when I get full feedback I'll let you know full details!

Martyn

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links