Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid And Me- A Positive Experience

Nicolai

Test drove again Sunday. Trying to predict roads and traffic. Doing between 40 and 55 mph resulted in an indicated consumption of just under 62 MPG. Much better than I have been able to achieve during other test drives and this time with acceptable speed. Suspension is a bit firm though (pick up imperfections in the road).

My choice has been narrowed down to Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG and the Auris Hybrid. Both as wagons. I didn't notice the good torque in pwr mode though. Battery was half to three quarters full.

Auris is smaller: less rear legroom. Being 6 ft, I find it difficult to sit behind myself. Have any auris owners. had three adult in the back reasonbly comfy?

I ned two adults (one in the center) and a child safety seat in the back. Two aduklt in the back will be seldom, though. Holidays and such. Is it comfortable for an adult on the center seat for like 100 miles? without "coffee breaks"?

"Being 6 ft, I find it difficult to sit behind myself."

This would be physically impossible.

• Like 1

"Being 6 ft, I find it difficult to sit behind myself."

This would be physically impossible.

Well, I WAS able to climb into the back and sit there. Space was, however, not plentiful by any means. ;)

Presumably this was whilst you were still seated in the front - which is what you've implied.

You're not now comparing like with like as regards the Octavia and the Auris. The new Octavia has a wheelbase of 2686mm, where it now competes with the Avensis at 2700mm. The Skoda Rapid is Auris sized, with a wheelbase of 2602mm (Auris 2600mm).

Yet, we have phrases such as, "I am going to sit by myself."

Who am I sitting next to?

The DSG is a great gearbox, but I'd only get it if you're not keeping the car long term as when they hit 60-90k the clutch packs need changing and it's really really expensive :unsure:

The Auris HSD is a good car but if you're going to be carrying lots of stuff or going long distances it's not optimal; The engine has very little torque; It is dependent on the electric motor for that side of things.

Its strengths are as a family city car, where few things can beat it

The two cars have quite different optimal usages so the best choice depends more on what you're going to do with them...

I'd get a total of 5 years /62,000 miles warranty for the Skoda, and I don't see myself doing more than 62,000 miles over a period of 6-7 years.

I do a lot of city driving but it is to be an all around car: city, holiday trips etc.

The standard Skoda warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles (two years manufacturers warranty plus a one year dealer network warranty).

The 5 year/100,000 miles warranty is the standard 3 year/60,000 warranty plus a two year extended warranty - which must be bought when you place an order for a new car.

This two year extended warranty will cost you £535 for the Octavia.

The Toyota already comes with a 5 year/100,000 mile manufacturers warranty, and you can extend this to cover the car up to 8 years old.

No and no. Not in Denmark.

True not in Denmark.

As I said previously, you're comparing two different sized vehicles - the Auris and the Octavia are now in different market segments.

Wish you the best with your Skoda then.

Haven't decided yet ;)

I felt I had to go into the power band from time to time to maintain speed of 50-55 mph. Is this normal or was I doing something wrong?

Nothing wrong with going into the PWR band.

It has to be done from time to time. ;)

Ok. Good to know, The power available in eco band is too "weak" to maintain speed at a roads and motorway, then?

Ok. Good to know, The power available in eco band is too "weak" to maintain speed at a roads and motorway, then?

As a generality yes, the high efficiency cycle that the Toyota hybrids employ does not produce a lot of torque. To my mind , comparing an Auris hybrid with a Skoda Octavia diesel, the decision would very definitely lean towards the Skoda since, as you point out , it has a lot of torque and of course it has a lot of space. I cant really understand why you might think that an Auris hybrid could compete with an Octavia in any way other than price. When all is said and done, if you wish to hustle an Auris along you can but the gains you might have made in fuel economy against the Octavia will all but disappear.

I'm not talking about the Octavia diesel. I'm talking about the 1.4 TSI 140 BHP petrol but it is still turbo charged. I compare Octavia and Auris because, to my knowledge, they are, officially, in the same segment. It's just that Octavia has always been big when comparing it to other cars in the "Golf class". The Auris hybrid cannot compete with Octavia on Price in Denmark. The Hybrid is much more expensive but also more reliable, I believe.

Hybrid torque: I thought the Battery power was supposed to give some "low down grunt"?

The new Octavia has really moved up to the D market segment in size now. Compared to the Avensis the wheelbase is only 14mm shorter and the length is only 36mm shorter. Currently in the UK the Octavia and Avensis start at £15990 and £15995 respectively.

Why do you think Skoda has introduced the Rapid? The Skoda Rapid slots in between the Fabia and the Octavia and has virtually the same wheelbase as the Auris (2602mm as opposed to 2600mm) and is longer by 208mm.

In terms of exterior size and interior space, the Rapid is the Skoda equivalent to the Auris.

Just took four adults on a 250 mile journey, no complaints about space in the cabin.

The only complaint I have is the boot space. But I have to remember that I am coming from a Honda Accord with a huge boot, and it was a different class of car to the Auris.

If space is such an issue, get the Prius+

Way too expensive in Denmark

About the use of the power band:

When driving on motorway (60-90 mph), do I need to use the pwr band a lot in order to maintain speed?

Using pwr, hence, getting the cvt noise when accelerating and overtaking is ok, but I would prefer if I can keep it in eco band mostly (for a quiet drive).

Also, on toyota's blog it says to using cruise control to optimize economy. Is this special for Toyota hybrids? As far as I know, tests have been carried out which shows that normal cars consume a bit MORE fuel when using cruise control. and what's it like on motorway with regards to road/ wind noise.

Sorry, but I wasn't able to take it on motorway during the test drive.

From your own posts, you've now had at least four test drives of the Auris Hybrid.

We've had virtually a year of these questions on the Auris Hybrid and what car you are supposedly considering.

Buying a new car is a big decision, but we're suffering here from what appears to be almost obsessive indecision.

Try tossing a coin, or doing something positive.

Make a decision.

My choice has been narrowed down to Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI DSG and the Auris Hybrid. Both as wagons.

Was it a wagon or hatch back Auris?

Reason I ask is the Sports Tourer (aka Wagon) is just in the process of being released and if it wasn't that you tried it might be worth waiting for a demo car to arrive. Much bigger inside

I test drove the hatchback Auris hybrid, however, the one I am interested in is the Sports Tourer hybrid as we need to be able to fit pram and boggy in the boot. When you say the TS is bigger, I take it you mean luggage capacity, right? Not width of the car itself? The TS has 530 liters of boot space compared to the 360 liters in the hatch.

The wheelbase on the Auris Touring hasn't changed, so as regards seating and passenger room, it is the same as the hatch. The extended boot space though is a lot larger than the hatch - 530 litres as opposed to 360 litres, and increasing to 1658 litres with the rear seats folded.

I know.

If you really need the space (and I assume the pulling ability) of an estate-sized car, I don't think the Auris Tourer Hybrid would be a good match; From what I've read it doesn't have the pull to match its carrying capacity (On paper it has less torque than my Yaris, but I don't know if that is a combined figure or just for the petrol engine; Trying to find stats on the power and torque figures for the electric motor and the petrol engine individually has been difficult!)

But it really depends on what you're going to use it for. If the majority use is taking the missus and kid(s) to the shops and park the hybrid will save a decent bit of fuel, but if there is to be much distance driving or hauling any kind of load then there are better cars out there.