Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Tailgate / Spare Wheel Capability - Chapter2

jolly-friar

Introduction

As requested by a few members on this forum.

This is our account on how we replaced the tailgate on my RAV4 to the version which has the spare wheel mounting option.

Please understand that we are not mechanically trained, or qualified. So, any comments are welcome, especially if we have made any mistakes, missed anything important, or just require further info.

Chapter Two – Number plate

Tools required/used : None

Cost this chapter : £352

Cost to date : £872

Because the spare wheel would now be where the number plate had been before, a new location for it was required.

These are the options we came up with :

Option A : Attach a mounting plate to the existing rear bumper.

gallery_56959_1576_292.jpg

Option B : Change the rear bumper to the same type as found on existing cars with the spare wheel on the tailgate.

gallery_56959_1576_1586.jpg

Option C : Change tailgate ‘garnish’ panel. ( Not sure whether a standard size number plate would fit the space. )

gallery_56959_1576_2220.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_3700.jpg

Option D : Attach a skirt to the existing rear bumper.

gallery_56959_1576_1461.jpg

We chose option “D”, to use a rear skirt.

gallery_56959_1576_4592.jpg

Rear skirt : £280 inc p&p - New Toyota part number TPZ439-X0460-AB

Number plate lights to fit skirt.

gallery_56959_1576_998.jpg

Number plate lights : £22 inc p&p – New Toyota part number 81271-42050

Replacement sub-loom with connections for number plate lights, AND fog lights.

gallery_56959_1576_1780.jpg

Sub loom : £50 inc p&p – Second hand from internet auction site

( Or £68 – New Toyota part number 99999-99999 )

On our RAV, where the rear bumper sub-loom joined the main body loom, there was three pins in the connector. The three pins are, PIN1-Earth PIN2-Fog Lights Pin3-Number plate lighting. The old sub-loom only used PIN1 & PIN2, the new sub-loom uses PIN1, PIN2 & PIN3. The connector is located behind the bumper, on the near side corner.

• Like 2

Very good post, and this might explain why I saw a 2012 plated RAV with the wheel on the tailgate! :flowers:

Very good post, and this might explain why I saw a 2012 plated RAV with the wheel on the tailgate! :flowers:

Thank you... :)

Interesting, wasn't mine then, as it's difficult to tell the age of it... can you remember where you saw it, and what colour it was ?

And I thought mine was the only one... :crybaby: LOL...

I wonder if they are a member on here ?

There are many RAV4's in the UK which were imported from Ireland over the years - most Irish RAV's up to 2012 had a door mounted spare wheel as standard. There are detailed differences between UK and Irish models but essentially they're the same car and carry the same warranty. Several 2012 model RAV's appeared on eBay earlier this year at around £19500 new on the road. See pictures of a typical 2012 imported model RAV in the link below

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/RAV4-2.2/31713595621452090/advert?channel=CARS

• Like 1

Ah, the car I saw was in Horsham, a black car, RHD, manual diesel. however gj's post gives a further explanation. In Spain and I believe the rest of Europe the RAV was always available with the spare, and the sun roof as an option. Those Irish cars were a bargain!

• 1 year later...