Ford 5yr,

Fiat 5yr

Toyota 3yr

BMW 3yr

Opel 2yr

Scoda 2yr

VW 2yr

Mercedes not mentioned

I think Toyota has a problem increasing the warranty period because of engine problems, ie head gaskets on diesels and oil burning on petrol, although they have presumable fixed it, and they changed to 5yr in the UK

Not quite what it seems. The information below has been taken from the manufacturers Irish websites tonight:

Mitsubishi 3 years manufacturers warranty plus 5 years dealer network/150,000 km warranty

Hyundai 5 years unlimited mileage warranty

Kia 7 years/150,000 km

Ford 2 year new car warranty, with major components protected for a further three years.

Fiat 5 year/100,000 km warranty

BMW 3 years

Opel 2 years

Skoda 3 years from June 2012

VW 2 years

Mercedes Benz 2 years

Toyota 3 year/90,000 km manufacturer warranty

Toyota is the best selling car brand in Ireland, and the Toyota warranty in Ireland is competitive with BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Skoda and Opel.

The reason that Toyota GB introduced the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty from June 2010 was to counter any effects of the accelerator pedal recall - nothing to do with other issues. Aside from this, some diesel engines which had head gasket issues were covered in the UK by a 7 year warranty.

Interstingly in the UK Vauxhall give a "lifetime" guarantee so Opel must be losing out in Ireland by only offering 2 years ... ;)

As regards Opel. they did introduce the lifetime warranty in some European countries at the same time as Vauxhall, but after a few months pulled back from it. Vauxhall continued with it. Believe the Lifetime warranty only applies to the first (private) owner, and doesn't apply to the car-derived vans.

When longer warranties became the norm in the 90's, due no doubt to European/American manufacturers needing to compete with the Japanese, the UK has had longer warranties than most of Europe. In the UK for most European manufacturers the dealer networks added 1 or 2 year dealer network warranties to the 1 or 2 year manufacturers warranty. Examples - VW, Ford and GM.

Frostyballs; you must have access to trade info, but there is a Mitsubishi in our local shopping centre with 8 years warranty stuck on it, the others I took from their Irish websites.

As I stated in my post, I accessed the Irish websites on Saturday evening, and the warranty information is exactly as I have stated.

Yes in total the Mitsubishi warranty is 8 years - made up of, as I stated and as the Mitsubishi Ireland website states, a 3 year manufacturers warranty and a 5 year dealer network warranty.

The Hyundai Ireland website states the warranty as being 5 years/100,000 miles - which is the same as in the majority of Europe.

The Ford Ireland website describes their warranty as being 2 years with major components covered for a further three years.

I no more have access to trade info than you do.

• 1 month later...

"As regards Opel. they did introduce the lifetime warranty in some European countries at the same time as Vauxhall, but after a few months pulled back from it. Vauxhall continued with it. Believe the Lifetime warranty only applies to the first (private) owner, and doesn't apply to the car-derived vans.."

Vauxhall extended their lifetime warranty to used (Network Q) cars in 2011.

Copied from the Network Q website today:

"Network Q Warranties
We offer warranties on every car we sell under 7 years old with less than 70,000 miles.
Selected Network Q Vauxhall passenger cars under 12 months old and 30,000 miles now come with a Network Q 3 Year Warranty - an exceptional duration of cover and protection for you and your car.
For vehicles under 7 years old with less than 70,000 miles we have warranties available for up to 60 months. All mechanical and electrical components are covered with the vehicle value as the claim limit.
These warranties are backed by Network Q, so you can look forward to miles more peace of mind.

All warranties have a 100,000 miles limit. Available at participating Retailers only."

Presumably the Network Q 3 year warranty applies to the ex-BSM driving school Corsas and Astras that are returned to Vauxhall for sale through Network Q when they are six months old.