Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Blowing

dwilson

Well I guess I knew it would happen one day!. My wife's 2007 petrol RAV XT4 has a blowing exhaust. I remember some tales of vast expense but is that likely on her car? I would normally go to an exhaust place but I am thinking of taking it to the main dealer. What do people on here think would be the best place to not be ripped off and have a quality replacement of whatever parts is needed?

Any indication on price would be great but I know that is difficult as I don't know which bit is blowing!

My fridge and shower have also broken in the last week!!

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the quick reply. I think this is going to be expensive!

David

It may not be as expensive as you might imagine if you can narrow down which section is blowing.

It's the section with the cat that really busts the wallet.

I went for a full stainless system that cost £625. This included a boss to take the O2 sensor and twin tailpipes and the build quality is first class. I intend to keep my RAV long term so it made sense to go the stainless route.

Undoubtedly the quality of the Toyota exhaust will be better than pattern parts and that reflects in the price. Weigh up your options after you trace the blowing section and hopefully it won't be as bad as you think.

On the bright side, they say bad luck comes in three's....well your run is over, only good times ahead.

• Like 2

It may not be as expensive as you might imagine if you can narrow down which section is blowing.

It's the section with the cat that really busts the wallet.

I went for a full stainless system that cost £625. This included a boss to take the O2 sensor and twin tailpipes and the build quality is first class. I intend to keep my RAV long term so it made sense to go the stainless route.

Undoubtedly the quality of the Toyota exhaust will be better than pattern parts and that reflects in the price. Weigh up your options after you trace the blowing section and hopefully it won't be as bad as you think.

On the bright side, they say bad luck comes in three's....well your run is over, only good times ahead.

Thank you Arthur. My life loves her RAV and it has only just turned 30000 miles so the sensible thing to do is to keep it long term and just pay for things like the exhaust, Battery and brakes when needed. I have booked it in to the main dealers for an hour's appointment for them to have a good look at it on Thursday and I will report back when I know what they say. Many thanks for your helpful comments.

All the best,

David

It was the middle section. All replaced and car restored to health for £786.

Booked in for a major service and MOT next month!

David

yaaarg

I could get a fully bespoke stainless steel exhaust made and fitted for less than that.

• Like 1

yaaarg

I could get a fully bespoke stainless steel exhaust made and fitted for less than that.

Ah but would that include the cat?

yaaarg

Ah but would that include the cat?

Cats are available from the local homeless centre.

I got rid of my cats and just got the engines tuned properly. Despite a stop check by VOSA, the car passed. Not a cat in sight.

The middle section I had replaced didn't include a CAT that apparently is by the manifold on our 4.3. A lot of money but I have a genuine Toyota replacement and it sounds and feels better than when we bought the car nearly 2 years ago. I am very pleased with the result although it was a staggering amount for the middle section of an exhaust !

Oh and I had a discount of about £250 on the full price! It should have been over £1000.

David

" It should have been over £1000. "

Totally, totally insane.

• Like 1

I was advised that my Exhaust was "blowing" slightly back in 2005. Still the original exhaust eight years on and every few years it gets a mention in the advisory but not something that they say needs changing unless it deteriorates more. Good news if it might cost that much. They obviously don't build them like they used to!!

I was advised that my Exhaust was "blowing" slightly back in 2005. Still the original exhaust eight years on and every few years it gets a mention in the advisory but not something that they say needs changing unless it deteriorates more. Good news if it might cost that much. They obviously don't build them like they used to!!

It depends which part is blowing and yours is a different model. I think that is a thumb's up for your dealer though if they are saying only advisory. Mind you I could hear mine popping when the door was open. It does seem a lot nicer now and I want to keep it in top condition and hang onto it for now.

David

Thats a lot for an exhaust, not had the issue on the Rav4 yet, only had it a week, but the local powerflow place did a full cat back s/s exhaust for my previous 4x4, custom to my requirements, and has just done one for my sons kit car, (twin exit, manifold back) and I still would have had change from yours. £350 for mine and £300 for my sons and they are lifetime gaurantee.

Trev

• Like 1

The middle section I had replaced didn't include a CAT that apparently is by the manifold on our 4.3. A lot of money but I have a genuine Toyota replacement and it sounds and feels better than when we bought the car nearly 2 years ago. I am very pleased with the result although it was a staggering amount for the middle section of an exhaust !

Oh and I had a discount of about £250 on the full price! It should have been over £1000.

David

Most important thing here, David, is YOU are happy with the job. Personally, since I and others in Scotlandshire have found an excellent indie stainless exhaust fabricator in Glasgow, I cannot help but feel you have been Royally Humped on a PART exhaust sytem, mate. No offence meanted......

Big Kev.

I had a stainless middle section made up and fitted to my T180.... Sorry but what a !Removed! row it made.. Took it off and fitted a genuine part....

I had a stainless middle section made up and fitted to my T180.... Sorry but what a !Removed! row it made.. Took it off and fitted a genuine part....

Thanks for sharing that Charlie - perhaps I wasn't so crazy go for a Toyota part !

David

David

Most important thing here, David, is YOU are happy with the job. Personally, since I and others in Scotlandshire have found an excellent indie stainless exhaust fabricator in Glasgow, I cannot help but feel you have been Royally Humped on a PART exhaust sytem, mate. No offence meanted......

Big Kev.

No offence taken, I can't help but think it was a serious amount of money for a lump of metal but it was a big lump and it contained some intricate parts.

In the past I have gone to K F outlets but I wanted to keep the RAV in original spec and be sure it was absolutely right.

David

• Like 1

To be honest if I were to be looking at buying a car and it had an SS non original equipment exhaust I would either want the value of the part deducted from the car or walk...

The one I had made appeared of good quality and was of the heavier gauge stainless material but it droned like buggery on the motorway.. No amount of fiddling and tinkering would stop it doing it...

OK Im a fussy sod but anyone contemplating an SS system should google them and read carefully.. They are an acceptable cheap way out for many but not for others...

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie. I think a lot of people on this forum are fussy - I know I am! I like them to look good as well as going well. I haven't got the equipment to polish my cars as well as yours look but I do like to try and keep them in good condition.

David