Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Clutch Wear On Mmt Gear Box

tobiasdog

Hi guys, looking for advice with regards my clutch needing to be replaced at 50000 miles.

Which I think is a bit early to say the least.

I have spoken to my dealer, they can not confirm if this normal or abnormal, just that the car is 7 years old. Will I need another clutch in 50000 miles.

I have challenged them on the fact that the cars clutch changes are taken car off with no driver input.

How can I slip or ride a clutch.

So Toyota's own settings are wearing the clutch early. Again no help from the dealer to try and fight my case, but they will take the money for the job quick enough. May be, loyalty does not count for anything any more.

Sorry for my rant and I look forward to your response.

Regards

Allan

Has it got a full Toyota service history?

Hi there, car has been serviced by Toyota for the for the first 3 years as it was contract hire car through Arnold Clark. Prior to my purchase, it was serviced by selling dealer of Arnold Clark not Toyota dealer. I have then had it serviced at Toyota by way of service plan purchased through Arnold Clark.

Hope this helps.

Allan

Further information came to mind, The car has had its MOT about a month ago and the Toyota garage also do the safety check sheet, the box for the clutch is ticked green. I would think that this would mean that the clutch ok. Ah but not according the dealer as they cant check a mmt box. So why supply me with false in formation. What else are the ticking green. The papers not worth any thing than?

Allan

Not a Toyota, but my Swift AMT (same as Toyota's MMT) has clutch wear which started after just 22,000 miles.

It's so new system... Nobody knew that it'd be problematic, or didn't want to believe. Same as DSG on VAG cars, people do say that everyone who buys it needs to be ready to change the gearbox after approx. 100K kilometers. Now it's same thing with MM-T but it's just coming and of course Toyota doesn't want to admit that. They do admit some window switch overheating faults etc. but not these "real" problems people are experiencing from day to day.

None of these automated clutch gearboxes are particularly trouble-free - whether they're Toyota, Mazda, Fiat, Vauxhall, etc - and are often expensive to repair when they do go wrong. Toyota have been supportive of customers in recent years as regards repairs - D4D head gasket issues is one example.

Hi guys, thank you for the reply's, there seems to be a wealth on information in the respect, that this gear box , is well , just crap!

I will contacting Mr T and keep you updated. Thanks again :blow:

"that this gear box , is well , just crap!"

The gearbox is fine, as is the concept. It's the "brain" controlling the transmission and the way it's programmed that seems to be the biggest problem. It's just thick and stupid. Sending out messages to do the most illogical things at the wrong time. It does require human intervention but at times the intervention is totally ignored and over-ridden!

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

As promised, I would update you guys on my saga with Mr T and the dealer and my clutch on my mmt box needing to be replaced at 50,000 miles.

Having had to have the thing done at £700! Dealer only don't you know. MR T and the dealer do not want to know. I have challenged them on the validity of the safety sheet. Having spoken to Toyota, and having clarified that the sheet having Green ticks. would indicate that everything is ok . The car being serviced fully by the dealer and Mots there are lots of green ticks. Just like the one , when the Mot was carried out just 200 miles before needing a new clutch. No sign of wear or slippage. And the dealer now tell me that they do not check the clutch on the mmt box, so why the tick to say ok ,well no answer. I challenged them further on this basis, are the just going through the motions. Asking how to complain further, the service manager, informs me that any letter would just come to him any way! Great service!

I contacted Toyota direct,and what a surprise, referred me back to guess who, the dealer. to contact Toyota .No response. I had to chase them, not just to see if they had contacted the technical department but for the engine cover that they forgot to replace. I wonder, what else have they forgotten to do.

Finally a reply , no known problem, must be they assume be my driving style.

So much for brand and dealer loyalty. They just lost a customer, with two Toyotas to replace.

I feel that, I will have to right to the motoring press for further help.

Sorry for the rambling.

Look forward to your ideas on a way to help