Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which '06/'07 Rav4?

Apostate74

Hello

Apologies if this is an tired old question.

My girlfriend and I went car hunting last weekend and were really impressed by a 56 plate black Rav4.. Unfortunately it was a petrol engine and would be too expensive to run.

So, after much (and I mean a lot) of head-scratching over what to replace my '04 Audi A3 2.0tdi with I've decided to go for a Rav4.

My basic question is this - there are loads of T180s available around and about in my budget, but I know they can have gasket problems. Am I right to discount these unless they have low mileage and have full s.h.? What exactly is the deal with the Toyota extended warranty? What sort of bill are you looking at outside of the warranty? If the motor has been 'done' is it sorted?

So, leaving aside the T180 and given that I want parking sensors and leather seats are there any fundamental differences between the XT4/5 and the XT-R?

Cheers

Simon

Any Rav 2.2 diesel is likely or should I say its possible to be affected with the 2AD series of engine woes.. In fact any car in the Toyota range carries the same risk..... That said we do see rather a lot of T180s that have been affected and there is a reasonable suspicion that it may be down to the higher power output ????? To be honest we don't know for sure ....

To sort a car which is outside of the extended 7 year warranty would be hugely expensive and is not a pleasant thought..

It is therefore difficult to advise on buying a 2.2 Diesel car that is 2006 or 2007 as many are now falling out of warranty or indeed have done...

Mileage can be any.. So a low mileage car is or historically has been just as likely to give problems as a higher mileage car.... If I had to guestimate around the 40 to 50K mark is the most common mileage we see problems occur..

It is not just head gaskets.. The engines suffered from poor piston/ring issues which has caused the most problems. This is why a replacement engine has modified pistons and rings among other things...

HTH..

My advice would be (if you want diesel) look at 08 onwards. Much much fewer issues have been found at that age and newer. T180 is more powerful but therefore much dearer to run. So if you want a bit of economy and a bit of the niceties- my XTR 2.2 D4D for example has leather/sun roof/climate control/parking sensors etc, will hover around 40mpg (38 worst, 45 best on a full tank). Be prepared to have NO spare wheel though!!

The safer bet (if you're not addicted to diesel and budget doesnt go to 08), is get ANY petrol model, which are virtually bomb proof!

Dave

Simon

Unless you do HUGE mileage the petrol RAV is not too expensive to run (although my wife's RAV has a blowing exhaust so I may need to change that comment at the end of the week!)

We get about 30 mpg including quite a few short journeys and the initial purchase price should be less than the diesel. The XT4 has leather but doesn't have sat nav or cruise (I think the XT5 has these and is a great spec but will cost more). The XTR is also good, tends to be newer, but doesn't have the spare wheel on the back door - I think it has cruise but leather was an option and not many will have that (but I have just noticed Dave's post and he does!).

David

i have a 2007 xt4 and have had no issues since i got it , checking the history oil changes and brake pads seem to be the worst , so fingers crossed. I also had a mg zr which was plagued by head gasket problems but mine never did theres a lot to be said for regular servicing and a tad amount of luck with cars too

Also be warned that the petrol only has 5 gears and can be really noisy on motorways as the revs are quite high when cruising. If you go up to 80mph then the revs are hitting 4k and it sounds really harsh. Dont get me wrong I love the Mrs Rav4.3 but the petrol engine really lets it down - as my wife put's it - it's more like a holiday car, cruising around not in a rush. Seems bullet proof otherwise. 30mpg for us as well. Think Toyota missed a trick with the petrol engine, they should have used the IS200 straight 6 - what a sweet engine! Not everybody does loads of miles or wants a diesel and the new Rav4 petrol is only in automatic!

Thanks guys

That's a lot to chew over. Honestly I am a bit gutted. Having driven a turbo diesel for about four years I don't think I want to go back to petrol.. It's probably not huge mileage but my commute on it's own is 16k miles a year at the moment.

I have seen a few '08 diesels that are spec'd as I'd like.. but they are 57 plates which must be borderline. I'm thinking that this is about the time Toyota realised the boo-boo and straightened it out - would that be right?

I am surprised to find myself trying to justify the purchase - normally I'd just forget it and find something else. There just isn't another nice looking compact 4x4. I've also read Charlie's sticky re the extended warranty and that seems to be worded so that it only applies to original buyers, not the secondhand market.. Surely if the problem is this well known the bottom would have dropped out of the secondhand market and I'd be able to buy one for a song?

Best take a deep breath and extend my budget, I guess.. The newer the better, right?

Ta

Simon

Buy an 08 onwards model, that way you will have a few years left of the extended warranty. I wouldnt entertain an 06 or 07 model (unless the engine had been replaced) other than that, they are a damn good car.

Buy an 08 onwards model, that way you will have a few years left of the extended warranty. I wouldnt entertain an 06 or 07 model (unless the engine had been replaced) other than that, they are a damn good car.

I too in honesty would not buy a car that is at or near the end of its extended warranty... Unless I could afford to buy a new engine if the worst was to happen and few of us can afford that !

The T180 has its faults like for instance the run flat system which many of us have replaced..... But for me it was the only choice of Rav4. It was and is likely the highest spec of Rav to date offering as standard all the toys like full leather and sat nav sunroof and the like.. None of these are things we cant live without but hell its nice to have them..

Bear in mind that cars up to and including 2009 registered .. I say registered as I believe these 2009 cars are slightly older in build date have had problems but there is absolutely no doubt its the earlier cars that have suffered the most.. Plus the fact is that the newer the car the longer the warranty..

If I were to buy a replacement Rav4 it would be a late model 150BHP SR..... The best car in the Rav stable. OK not new but better than the new offering In my opinion.......

Hmm

Aside from Blackcts and grasshopper everybody who has responded to the question has an 06/07 plate diesel Rav4 - how many have had blown head gaskets or related terminal motor problems?

Charlie? - I take it that Toyota will insist on a full Toyota service history (or very close to) to satisfy the terms of the warranty?

Hmm

Aside from Blackcts and grasshopper everybody who has responded to the question has an 06/07 plate diesel Rav4 - how many have had blown head gaskets or related terminal motor problems?

Charlie? - I take it that Toyota will insist on a full Toyota service history (or very close to) to satisfy the terms of the warranty?

Unfortunately many owners here have had problems.... There is little or no doubt that the early cars have the most problems.. Definately.. Though please be aware that cars up to and including 2009 have also had issues and Geordies car (A member on here) had his one done which was a 2009 registered at from memory 30 odd K miles...

The cars must have a decent service history but this does not need to be at a Toyota dealer.. All they ask is that the cars have been serviced in accordance with Toyota recommendations..

I think the rules have tightened slightly and some cars are being refused where previously they may have been accepted for a replacement engine.

• Like 1

Take a look here........

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

It really is worth plodding through if you are looking at a Rav4 Diesel.. Any specific questions just ask..

Thanks Charlie - I read your original post, but I'll read the rest tonight..

Will the VIN plate will be a better guide to actual age rather than year registered?

S

Will the VIN plate will be a better guide to actual age rather than year registered?

S

I think yes but others would advise more accurately maybe ? I would imagine a car could lie in either the dealers compound or in storage for up to 12 months ? The later 150BHP engine I feel is the safest bet as I believe none of these have been affected but I cant remember to be honest..

The SR150 is beyond me, I think.. I'll keep my eyes open for an 57 or 08 and check the service history and VIN plate to make sure it hadn't been standing somewhere for eighteen months prior to sale..

Hi Simon, I come from the petrol support brigade! Generally, the cars are felt to be adequately powered, and do consider that the car will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, and with petrol cheaper, cheaper to run. My 2007 auto has all the toys, and is a XT5, and although auto, still returns over 30 mpg in regular motoring.

However good luck with your search, and there are a lot of cars out there to choose from.

S

Although it's not absolutely definitive re age, have a look at the tags on the seatbelts. They will have a date of manufacture on them and, as a result of Just-in-Time assembly, these will be amongst the last bits installed before the car left the production line.

S

Although it's not absolutely definitive re age, have a look at the tags on the seatbelts. They will have a date of manufacture on them and, as a result of Just-in-Time assembly, these will be amongst the last bits installed before the car left the production line.

Jim. That reminds me.. The word toughened on side windows and the rear one has ten letters and under neath one of the letters is two tiny etched dots ..So if under the letter N is two tiny dots then the build date would be 2007.....

Quite a few have had new engines. You might find one that has and in that case, fill your boots.

• Like 1

Triffic!

Thanks guys - I feel loads more confident in being able to spot a good bet from a bad one now.. All I have to do now is hold my nerve until a good bet shows up..

Apologies to the guys in the petrol brigade who tried to turn me back from the dark-side.. I can't see how a car this size would suit a petrol engine.. Perhaps I ought to test drive one..

16k miles a year is approx 333 miles a week - which is what my petrol RAV4 does to a tank at a cost of £65 a tank... test drive one but be mindful what I said about the power. But I will say one thing - as it's petrol it doesn't half warm up the heater quickly in the winter. You can pick up an early 56 plater for about £6k now - so do the maths might be worth it.

• Like 1

Simon, if you like diesels, and many people do, then you should spend your money on one and I hope you enjoy it. I am not a fan of Toyota diesels as I don't like the engine noise and prefer the higher pitch of the petrol but I do remember that the RAV diesel I once owned had plenty of torque which was good. Have you driven a RAV diesel? They may be better now and I don't want to upset all the diesel owners on here but I had a 56 plate one and you couldn't mistake it for a petrol whereas my wife's brother has a Jag XF with a 3 litre diesel that sounds and goes superb. I think when the RAV gets the BMW engine it will transform the car - but I don't want to spend my money on a new one so I will have to wait many years! Although ours is a manual I would prefer an auto, as I think it would pull away from a standstill better - with the petrol RAV you have to take your time whereas I am used to pulling away pretty quick - I don't think you would like it!

The RAV is such a good car though, I hope you find one to suit. If it wasn't so good I would be trading it now as we have had it almost 2 years which is quite a time for me! I think I will run ours for a few more years yet but may get myself a little sports car to go with it for those rare sunny days!

David

I think your best bet is if you are looking at 06/07 models is to check the registrations with Toyota and see if you come across one that has had a recent engine replacement then you are laughing IMO. Otherwise stick with an 08 onwards model and make pretty sure that it has a FULL service history (preferably Toyota) to support your out of warranty claim (if you need to make one)

David min......is that no comparing apples with tennis balls.........XF Jaguar egnine and a Rav engine....?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links