Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which '06/'07 Rav4?

Apostate74

Simon......please PM me asap.......where is this bank where one's money accrues interest.....? Buy yer car when ye find the right one.......you will be deceased for more than two weeks, mate.....

Almost true, Kev - I am, in fact, immortal and look forward to many thousands of years of compound interest..;)

..but also kinda my point.. Is it not folly to pay (say) £3k extra avoiding a potential problem that might cost (say) £3k to fix.. Perhaps I should just buy a good 2006 Rav and worry about the motor should I have too..

My search has lost some of it's urgency now anyway - I had been hoping to sort some new wheels for a holiday with the gf to Cornwall this coming weekend, but that ain't going to happen so I can chill out and take my time..

Only worry is that the A3 has just piped up with a service interval warning.. and I really don't want to put any more money in it.

Bank accounts that pay interest can be found much easier than cars that hold their value, btw.. We are all mugs for our motors..

Almost true, Kev - I am, in fact, immortal and look forward to many thousands of years of compound interest..;)

..but also kinda my point.. Is it not folly to pay (say) £3k extra avoiding a potential problem that might cost (say) £3k to fix.. Perhaps I should just buy a good 2006 Rav and worry about the motor should I have too..

My search has lost some of it's urgency now anyway - I had been hoping to sort some new wheels for a holiday with the gf to Cornwall this coming weekend, but that ain't going to happen so I can chill out and take my time..

Only worry is that the A3 has just piped up with a service interval warning.. and I really don't want to put any more money in it.

Bank accounts that pay interest can be found much easier than cars that hold their value, btw.. We are all mugs for our motors..

Will mostly come down to how much warranty the extra capital expended can purchase, will it be a Toyota warranty or buy from an indie and get a questionable insurance based warranty....? After that expires, caveat emptor kicks in, so.....just like buying any car.....? Just wish you had been around October last year when many residents south of Gretna thought they could have my SR180 (2009, and checked as post engine fixes) for daft money.......actually traded it in for less than these clankers offered on Autotrader and The Bay just to spite them, and really enjoyed telling them so.

Your thoroughness shold be commended........if in the market to buy another car, you will be given the task.

Big Kev.

Hey Kev, do I need to run this shiny new engine in?

Hey Kev, do I need to run this shiny new engine in?

A question better asked of Chris McTech01 or Anchorman, Darren, but IMHO the answer is just don't over-rev it through the gearbox, and motorways should be done at varying speeds (60 / 70 / 80) and none of them for prolonged periods.First 500 miles.

They probably never told you of a device fitted in yer dashboard with every new engine too........it's a big Glesga head.....if you put supermarket diesel in yer new engine, it pops up and gives ye a Glesga Kiss right on the nose......!!!!

Enjoy.....superb result, but notice you had to take it to a Gaelic country to get civility and service.........

Many thanks for the info. Kev. Supermarket diesel is a no no from now on and you're right pinkstone of stoke couldn't be bothered because we were out of the area even though we only live ten minutes away. So we will use stafford toyota instead.

Biggest thing is not to labour the engine, they can stand a bit of revving but you dont want to be near to the stall point as this labours it. if you need to change down the gears then do it. As with anything new, check oil and water regularly in the first few weeks, go away and enjoy the car ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers Kingo, by the way do you sell such goodies as rear bumper guards, side steps, roofrails, bonnet guards etc. Thanks Darren.

We do, just PM me your reg number and delivery post code and I shall price up for you

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers Kingo, by the way do you sell such goodies as rear bumper guards, side steps, roofrails, bonnet guards etc. Thanks Darren.

You forgot The Engine Chip Kit, Darren......go on.....ye know ye want one.......

Engine chip (Lindop tuning box) should be the first and foremost add on.. This is the only one which WILL save you money and greatly increase the performance and drive enjoyment... The rest just look nice..................

The question of what would I buy instead is one I have asked myself several times since we moved back south in early March when effectively the car became redundant and now sits on the drive much of the time.. T180 along with the older Ravs are now not worth an awful lot...

My car is now running as sweet as a nut with its Lindop chip and has been well and truly sorted with engine Clutch Wheels and tyres all changed for the better.. It has almost every option on it including the genuine removable towing kit. It has had all the brakes and the infamously expensive exhaust replaced with genuine parts in every department.....

So why don't I sell it ? Well like our mate above what would I replace it with ? Come winter it likely will become a god send where we live out in the sticks now and it is handy for the shooting comps where the terain is not so good.... But its low value means it can just sit where it is cos nout anywhere near on price will get anything like the high spec motor it is and a well sorted one at that... Perhaps that's why folk hang on to them ?

I agree with Kev money in the bank simply is not keeping up with even inflation... 3% is the best I can find and that's carp !! I would certainly NOT borrow money for a vehicle but I would up the anti to buy the right car so long as I'm spending my own coin...

Apart from the comments above one more reason I would not buy an early car now is because I believe many may be cars that have run out of warranty and ran into problems so owners have dropped them... These early cars really are sadly quite a risk..

As I said Simon. The right car is out there it will I think just take a little longer to find.......

Oh and 3 to 4 K will not fix an out of warranty car in my opinion.. If it does it would still be an early car just a !Removed! expensive one... I would rather either stump up the extra dollar for a later car or buy something else altogether..

Cheers Kingo

Looks like Lindop's cheapest diesel is a really very nice 2008 (08) XT5 in my favorite colour and has stupidly low mileage - it is, however £12,495..

Thanks for checking for me though..

Charlie - dude, you're right about the expiring warranty forcing sales.. I'd be shifting mine if I had one.. But upping the anti for avoid the problem only makes sense to a point...going up a couple of grand make sense but beyond that..? I'm not saying I will buy an 2006 XT-R and bank £3k for a rainy day but as an exercise in logic it does demonstrate that my common sense should be directing me elsewhere..

Simon if 3K would fix a car that needed a new engine then the cars liability would be bad but not stupid If you were able to pick up a good car or should I say the RIGHT car for sensible IE cheap money. O dont think 3K would do it or quite a bit more for that matter ...

All cars will need money spending thats a fact so I factor in for a few quids worth of repairs but the Rav4 can eat at quite a rate when the things like exhausts evntually wear out.. Circa £1000 for that mid section Mmmmm But the thought of a potential and that is all it is Potential has to be a huge gamble..

I think what is the big factor here is how soon you need to buy the car ? If its needed very soon then you just may run out of options.. Hope something shows up soon !

Having a nightmare! Went to start the rav yesterday morning and nothing. Rang llandudno toyota and they told me that the technician had forgot to mention that they had to use a powerpack to start it after the new engine was installed. I was doubtful because previous to this I had no problem on start up. So they told me to take to stafford toyota this morning and they would do a Battery test, which I did and was told that the Battery was dead. I asked the technician how come it was fine before the engine went in and now its dead? His reply was, well I didn't have conjunctivitis last week but I've got it this week. Funny guy, any way I've just bought a new Battery and replaced it. My only worry is that could something be draining the battery or can they just give up the ghost?

......or was somebody at your thus far "saintly" dealer in need of a Battery, and you got his old one......?

Please don't say that would never happen........

Kev,the thought never even entered my head but you're right it could and most probably does happen. Anyway as long as that's all it is then £77 for a brand new engine can't be bad.

I have had an 07 XTR 2.2 Diesel Rav for 2 years & now has 65k on the clock. So far it has been a brilliant car with no problems.

Fuel measured fill to fill averages 43mpg & on a long run to Scotland recently it averaged 47mpg over 1200 miles cruising at 70+ on the motorways. If you can find a good one, I can certainly recommend the Rav4. Hopefully mine will continue to be trouble free!

This was written in response to which 06/07Rav4

Davyrav

Saggy, I replaced my Battery after 3 yrs.

If you're not happy I'll swap it for your new engine?

Hi Dippy, I suppose five years is not to bad for a Battery and £77 for a new one isn't to bad.still can't get my head around a new engine for free its quite amazing and the technician at stafford told me its a complete engine at that. Just ordered some heko wind deflectors from fleebay and I'm after some used roofrails if anyone knows of any for sale. Cheers.

Hi Dippy, I suppose five years is not to bad for a battery and £77 for a new one isn't to bad.still can't get my head around a new engine for free its quite amazing and the technician at stafford told me its a complete engine at that. Just ordered some heko wind deflectors from fleebay and I'm after some used roofrails if anyone knows of any for sale. Cheers.

Heko deflectors are good, but make sure you have wee supply of good quality double sided sticky tape, as the supplied amount is somewhat meagre. Also have some IPA and clean window channel meticfully or they will have problems adhering. Been there......

• Like 1

Hi Dippy, I suppose five years is not to bad for a battery and £77 for a new one isn't to bad.still can't get my head around a new engine for free its quite amazing and the technician at stafford told me its a complete engine at that. Just ordered some heko wind deflectors from fleebay and I'm after some used roofrails if anyone knows of any for sale. Cheers.

Got some Thule roofbars that will clamp onto the Rails once you got them ;)

Heko deflectors are good, but make sure you have wee supply of good quality double sided sticky tape, as the supplied amount is somewhat meagre. Also have some IPA and clean window channel meticfully or they will have problems adhering. Been there......
Be also worth running a heat gun or hairdryer over the area as well to eliminate any moisture and warm up the surface nicely once cleaned before application.

Be also worth running a heat gun or hairdryer over the area as well to eliminate any moisture and warm up the surface nicely once cleaned before application.

Good wan Hoovz min.....hair dryer.....heat gun a wee bit severe.