Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which '06/'07 Rav4?

Apostate74

Kev, are you saying that because its blowing out of that small pipe below and to the rear of the filler cap the head is on its way to the graveyard?

The only reason that it should spit coolant from the overflow pipe is if coolant has been filled to the max line when cold (or over the max line). The coolant expands when warm and would spit out coolant until it gets to a happy level. For example if your coolant level was between max and low when cold it shouldn't spit coolant from the overflow pipe, that is the way mine went (just had a new engine under warranty a few weeks back). I would say that your engine is goosed, but I wouldn't panic you will get a nice new one shortly!

As for your holidays, I'd drive away at the thing, just keep a close eye on the coolant and top it up if necessary, it shouldn't overheat if you keep topping up the coolant.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, was it a gradual problem or did it just go bang and when did you report it.

Thanks for the reply, was it a gradual problem or did it just go bang and when did you report it.

No problem buddy, when I bought the car I noticed dried coolant stains around the fan belt area that appeared to have came out the overflow pipe. I just kept my eye on the coolant level and noticed after a decent long journey fresh spots of coolant around the fan belt area that had came from the overflow pipe. I left it in the first time and they said that there was nothing wrong with it, but I persisted and went back again a few weeks later and after checking the engine for about an hour, came out and told me that they had an engine ordered and booked it in for the following week!

Don't loose heart in your 180 though, apart from this problem that Toyota have held their hands up to, they are one of the most reliable cars out there, once you get your engine replaced you can start enjoying it. Just use low ash oil, use branded diesel give it a good revving once a week and it shouldn't give any bother!

The only reason that it should spit coolant from the overflow pipe is if coolant has been filled to the max line when cold (or over the max line). The coolant expands when warm and would spit out coolant until it gets to a happy level. For example if your coolant level was between max and low when cold it shouldn't spit coolant from the overflow pipe, that is the way mine went (just had a new engine under warranty a few weeks back). I would say that your engine is goosed, but I wouldn't panic you will get a nice new one shortly!

As for your holidays, I'd drive away at the thing, just keep a close eye on the coolant and top it up if necessary, it shouldn't overheat if you keep topping up the coolant.

Wise advice, Darren.........just keep watter well topped up and enjoy yer holidays......ah......just noticed.....you're off to Wales.......enjoy the drive back then......

Witheld.

many thanks, you've both put my mind at rest and thank god for this forum and its kind members with good honest advice. I will keep my eye on the coolant level and enjoy our hols in gods own country, not to say that bonny scotland isn't glorious as well. We bought our hymer caravan from lennoxtown four weeks ago, what a beautiful part of the world and we had great weather to. Anyway thanks again guys for your help and I will report back next weekend as we have no tinternet on our site, cheers Darren.

Kev, are you saying that because its blowing out of that small pipe below and to the rear of the filler cap the head is on its way to the graveyard?

Has the tank been topped up very recently ? As others have said that could be the reason for the spattering.. My car actually did this after the engine had been done.....

One of the major pointers to engine problems is expulsion of coolant due to pressurization of the cooling system .. likely its another engine giving notice but no reason why you cant go on holiday and use the car normally just keep an eye on it.. Have fun !

Hi Charlie, I'm assuming it was checked on the last service which was done on 21/5/13 but if it was topped up then why would it be 20mm. Below the LOW level so soon after? As I said I've only owned the car 2 weeks to the day.

many thanks, you've both put my mind at rest and thank god for this forum and its kind members with good honest advice. I will keep my eye on the coolant level and enjoy our hols in gods own country, not to say that bonny scotland isn't glorious as well. We bought our hymer caravan from lennoxtown four weeks ago, what a beautiful part of the world and we had great weather to. Anyway thanks again guys for your help and I will report back next weekend as we have no tinternet on our site, cheers Darren.

Lennoxtown......? Yay drove richt past me on the A80 to KIRKINTILLOCH then Darren.....phone ahead next time....we're never in.....

Hi Charlie, I'm assuming it was checked on the last service which was done on 21/5/13 but if it was topped up then why would it be 20mm. Below the LOW level so soon after? As I said I've only owned the car 2 weeks to the day.

Aye well with that information it seems that your engine is indeed giving notice to quit... On the plus side a well sorted T180 is an awesome car mate and with the addition of the Lindop tuning box is a frugal beast given the performance that 215 or so horses and a huge wedge of torque produces ..

Its worth paying out the 300 quid or so for the clutch parts if your car does get a new engine.. The dealer will charge only the parts as no extra labour is needed.. Consider that a clutch replacement is circa 1100 quid as a scratch job.. Also as you are towing I would say its a very important component in the drive train !!

Aye well with that information it seems that your engine is indeed giving notice to quit... On the plus side a well sorted T180 is an awesome car mate and with the addition of the Lindop tuning box is a frugal beast given the performance that 215 or so horses and a huge wedge of torque produces ..Its worth paying out the 300 quid or so for the clutch parts if your car does get a new engine.. The dealer will charge only the parts as no extra labour is needed.. Consider that a clutch replacement is circa 1100 quid as a scratch job.. Also as you are towing I would say its a very important component in the drive train !!

Forgot aboot that Darren.........a freebie new engine, and a clutch at cost ffs........aye, every cloud , eh.....?

Thanks guys, bring on that shiny new engine! By the way Kev your rav looks the mutts nuts.

......with two nice wee shards of plastic hanging aff a rear wheel arch, compliments of a child's buggy on the Belfast ferry t'other week, mate. Whoever did it has had a rotten holiday in Ireland.......so ma wee voodoo doll tells me........you should see where ah stuck some of them pins, min.......

Sorry to hear that Kev !!

Sorry to hear that Kev !!

Never knew ah had that many latin words in a heid, Charlie.......

Hey guys

Sorry to hear Rav got injured, Kev.. I look at it like this; being the kind of person who can damage another person's obviously chersished property and be so ignorant as to not apologise/care/worry is probably punishment enought in itself. Maybe I'm tuning into a hippy as I age..

Ok, so - I've called around after quite a few cars now and the theme is this - even should the car have a full Toyota service history any replacement engine may or may not have been recorded. I've only discovered two so far - one sold (see above) and one before I knew what I was looking at. So the target grows ever smaller - a car that has the engine replaced and has had the service history updated to explictly mention it. Unicorn poo would be easier to find, methinks.

So I think I might take some advice I was given some time back and up my budget to £8k plus whatever I can get for my A3 px (2 - 2.5K?) and wander into a Toyota dealership and let them do the leg work on their used car network.

Do you guys think this is sensible? Safe? Will they relocate a car for me - i.e. move it from Durham to Bromsgrove?

Cheers chaps

Simon

You can always go to Durham.....................

Yes they would do that but you need to go in and have a conversation with them about it. They wont bring untold quantities of RAV's back to the dealership in the hope you will buy one, due to the high costs of transport, but in principle, yes they can do that

Kingo :thumbsup:

It be a Rav he is looking for David min, not The Pink Panther.........

• Like 1

It be a Rav he is looking for David min, not The Pink Panther.........

He'd have to go more than once to find the PP :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Boom tish!! Very good Kevalino :band:

Any dealer worth their salt will move a car for you. It is reasonable for them to do so if you agree to purchase the car so long as it matches its description ACCURATELY... If they miss describe then again its very reasonable for you to refuse to complete the transaction.....

They will move within their group. Not so sure nationally, I asked about one once and was told something like no because the dealer that had the car would only let my dealer have it for full price so there would be no profit for my dealer. But I would like to be wrong on this .....

David

:thumbsup: i live in durham ill check it out for a fee

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links