Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which '06/'07 Rav4?

Apostate74

I had a look at an '07 Santa Fe just up the road from me - tried to walk around it but got tired and had to sit down. It's big. But nice.. and cheap.. but will depreciate.. although the interior spec is very high it did look like an Amstrad hi-fi circa 1992.

Close, but no cigar.. likewise the X3.. that front end is hideous. The rest of the car is fine - if a bit long.. but the front? Perhaps it's supposed to be, like, crash-proof in that you won't be able to tell if it gets smashed in just by looking..

It's a shame the Volvo XC60 isn't down to your budget, they are the nicest looking 4x4 on the road IMO

It's a shame the Volvo XC60 isn't down to your budget, they are the nicest looking 4x4 on the road IMO

Cooorrrrrr...... Buety must surely be in the eye of the beholder !! That is on FUGLY car.. Mate in Scotland had one and sold it cos it frank diesel so fast it was daft...

Simon its unlikely you are going to drop on a car fast as these cars are not on every street corner.. Be careful you dont buy the wrong car for the right reasons.... X3 ? Not for me either ...

An XC60 - ugly??? I honestly think they are lovely...dear wee bugger tho, top notch quality as well...would you get an early kuga for the budget do you reckon?

kia sportage anyone???? but keep looking the roght rav im a first time owner and i love it

Not sure about the newer sportages, but having driven loads of the older ones in the 8k budget, they are a ****heap IMO - horrible looking and driving thing - reliable though.

Adrian - the XC60: I think it's a looker, too.. I'd have a new Sportage, too - how did Kia go from ugly to very pretty in one generation - for every car?

X-Trail looks ok from the outside, but the interior is too basic - and what's with the speedo? ..and round I go until I stop on the Rav again..

Charlie's right though.. I'd best be patient and wait on a nice Rav..

What is the deal with run flats, btw? Never had them..

I've owned every Rav4 in the range,and the T180 is by far the best.. IF that is you can find one with the newer engine (2008 on, iirc) or one that's had a replacement engine under MrTs 7yr 'goodwill' warranty..

Also check the runflats have been ditched and the condition of the exhaust middle box section,which could set you back £8-900.

The new Sportage is a good car, the previous generation BMW X3 is nowhere near as good as the later generation, and out of budget. Also the Volvo is a great drive, I tested it on a long drive and really liked it, BUT again out of budget. It is probably better to wait for a really nice RAV, or wait many years till the Beemer or the Volvo come in budget

I've owned every Rav4 in the range,and the T180 is by far the best.. IF that is you can find one with the newer engine (2008 on, iirc) or one that's had a replacement engine under MrTs 7yr 'goodwill' warranty..

Also check the runflats have been ditched and the condition of the exhaust middle box section,which could set you back £8-900.

T180 engines are all the same no matter what the registration date.. So are all the 2AD engines its just that the earlier the car the more likely the dreaded issues.. But lets move on form that !

The Kuga is a very good car but I think only a very high mileage one or maybe low spec or tatty will fall into sub 8K money..

New Sportage is a very decent looking car but again the budget is the killer !

X trails are absolute rubbish !

Dare I suggest Honda CRV ? A very credible alternative ?

Simon the run flat system fitted to the rav is blooming disaster.. Many of us have ditched them in favour of normal tyres.. There is also the TPMS to deal with but as you are not far from me I can assist with that should you buy either a T180 or SR 180 as these are the only cars fitted with the run flat gear

Have a read here for the run flats

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/133751-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-bsr-system-runflats/

And here for the TPMS System

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/130476-charliefarlies-guide-to-switching-the-tpms-pink-wire/

As ever, Charlie - you're a gold mine.. ta very much.

I've checked out the CRV and it does look like a nice car .. the new shape comes in second behind the Rav, I think..

Old model CRVs are the best to drive.. The gear-change on the later ones is !Removed! awful ! Early ones stick went straight into the box while the later shape ones has a dash mounted shifter with remotes that just don't work.. I actually prefer the older shape and in EX spec its an equivalent to the T180 spec wise..

I looked long ad hard at both before laying my money on the Rav simply because it was the right car with the full specification I wanted and it was in amazing condition with low miles.. I traveled from Central Scotland to the north east of England a journey of nearly 450 miles round trip for the car...

Hey guys

What are your thoughts on this? It has more miles on it than I'd like, but other than that looks good. What questions would you be asking before you made the trip down to look at it?

I've been meaning to ask - can you buy the style packs to fit yourself? Sidesteps and nudgebar etc?

Cheers

looks good check history look underneath fot off roading damage take a 2nd pair of eyes who knows what they doing i did, kingo is your man for parts about 500 squid for genuine nudge bar and steps but a possible house purchase has put the block on my order at the minute

Hey guys

What are your thoughts on this? It has more miles on it than I'd like, but other than that looks good. What questions would you be asking before you made the trip down to look at it?

I've been meaning to ask - can you buy the style packs to fit yourself? Sidesteps and nudgebar etc?

Cheers

You can buy any or all the parts within the packs, PM me for prices if you get to buy it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Does anybody know anybody who works at a Toyota dealer who can be as astute as me and take a wee note of the registration of said vehicle and check its history for such minor things as new engine and/or service history......?

Kwite Klever Kev

No we don't know anyone who can do that ;)

• Like 1

Right-o

I got the guys to pull the VIN number and the date from the belts.. Belts say March 2008 but the VIN plate as given looks wrong - am I correct to say the 10th digit gives you the model year?

Cheers

Simon

Okay - ran the plate through a HPI check that also let me validate the VIN - no problems.. must have been misinformed..

One strange thing is that the latest milage recorded goes back to 18K (March 2013) from 67K (Nov 2012).. there has been a plate change - can this mess with things? The dealer is not claiming 16K, btw - he says it's done 80K..

Has a new engine only done the 16k.......? Me being thick or confused......? Plate change.....private plate....?

Im sure Simon means private plate change Kev.. This makes no difference and can have no effect on the mileage of the car ...

... Not quite sure on how to reply to the question on what I think on that particular car ...... For me the mileage is just that wee bit high as a starting point.. Colour is not for me as whilst black is ace when its just detailed its a pain 99% of the time.. My dark blue one is not far off mind..

Simon if You are in dire need of a car then it puts pressures on and this can often result in maybe buying a car that is not 100% what you want or is right for you......

Budget is of course the big key here so weigh up what that car will owe you by the time you have added the style pack or part of it... These things add up fast and you can easily end up paying near the price of a later lower mileage car,,,

If Im absolutely honest here I would not buy any Rav4 Diesel unless it was post engine risk IE a 150BHP car or it has had its engine changed... Lets not forget that it is always possible that Toyota could withdraw they good will policy if they want to and over the last year or so its been harder to get engines changed.

That said My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it mate .. :ermm:

Yes, sorry Kev - the car came out of the dealership when new with a private plate on it and had it changed last year.

Let's say, hypothetically, we can establish that the car has had a new engine courtesy of Mr T at around 50k, but, while having a full service history, the service book was never stamped by Toyota themselves.. what do we make of that? I can verify it was built in 2008, not just registered in 2008.

I can't make up my mind whether or not to go and have a look now.. 80k is high mileage, but mitigated by new motor.. doesn't have styling kit, but does have leather seats and parking sensors.. No spare wheel.. For sale in Wembley.. round and round..

I am very bad at this car buying malarky. Sorry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links