Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems With Lifting Tail Gate

robo1

Have been a loyal Toyota driver for 25 plus years and a guest to the forum for the past 2 years.

First Thanks to charliefarlie regarding information about the diesel engines as my previous 07 RAV required new cylinder head gasket then 15 months later a new engine for the same problem

Thought I should post my recent problems with the lifing tail gate as a warning to others.

Had to call the AA yesterday after 3 weeks ownership of my new RAV invincible. The reason? the rear boot door got stuck and would not open or shut. On closer inspection the electric boot strut ball joint between the car body and lifting strut had come off and wedged itself against the car body. This resulted in scratching to the paint work where it wedged. The AA manged to release the wedged strut but this involved unscrewing one of the boot door hinges with 2 people holding the door up . The AA then put the ball back into the socket and he commented that it went in very easily.

Do not know if this is an isolated problem or a design problem but thought other owners should be aware of this happening in case it happens to them.

Will be contacting local Toyota dealer tomorrow as clearly will need to get new strut and damage repaired.

robo

That's not good Keith. Should the ball and socket on the end of the strut not have a retaining clip?

No retaining clip.

The AA mechanic managed to get the ball back into the socket with a pair of pliers.

Sorry to hear about your tail-gate problem.

When we bought our 4.3 in 2010 to replace a Carina estate, I had big doubts about the Rav's side hinged tail-gate. However since then, we've grown to like it and never once been in the situation where we can't access it due to proximity of obstructions. About then I also remember seeing a Rav eqivalent (Hyundia, Kia ?) with a top hinged tail-gate and it just looked wrong.

I hope the lifting tai-gate won't come to haunt Toyota as a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" item.

And I hope Toyota are able to fix yours and make a good repair to the damage. Good Luck - let us know how you get on.

Service manager had a look today and has photographed the problem. He will be sending photographs to the tech deparment at Toyota.

He has ordered new strut and will respray the area scratched ( thankfully near door seal so not visible when boot is shut)

On the RAV world forum some one in the USA has reported that their strut had come off at the door end. Lifting tail gates are not new so would think Toyota could make a reliable one for the RAV.

A dealer local to me had this happen on a demo vehicle back in March, the car was on display but the tailgate was disabled, I sense a recall......

oh dear, sorry to hear about your tailgate...

It's almost like the electric strut didn't know the tailgate was shut, and kept on pulling.. eventually coming apart at the socket ?

Liz I wonder if your theory is right as service manager has rung saying that they have to replace the strut and the Electronic Control Unit.

I've don't remember ever thinking "I wish my car had an electric tailgate". Doesn't seem any more effort to lift it than getting in the drivers door to drive the !Removed! thing. I wonder how much of the production budget is swallowed up with it?

Anchorman agree but Toyota UK in their wisdom have decided that all RAV 4.4 4x4's owners need the powered rear door. Only benifit so far is if its raining and you are approaching the car and need to put some thing in the boot.

Would prefer a sun roof as standard or lower list price instead.

Well I shall have to keep an eye on this - my Invincible tail gate has been up and down many, many times. Only problem is to make sure it is not sent up under my rather low garage up and over door !!

Be careful that nothing can get trapped under the tail gate when it closes, like an item that slipped back in the boot area.

Guy

Got the RAV back today with new strut and new ECU black box which controls the two stuts. Service manager said the parts cost £800 but done under warranty. Seems alot of money and technology just to open the hatch.

Well I shall have to keep an eye on this - my Invincible tail gate has been up and down many, many times. Only problem is to make sure it is not sent up under my rather low garage up and over door !!

Be careful that nothing can get trapped under the tail gate when it closes, like an item that slipped back in the boot area.

Guy

Guy....did I not read their was a variable height memory on these tailgates.....?

Yes there is a memory setting and I do like it. I can set it for my head height and safe clearance for the open garage door.

weld the damn thing shut. Its too dangerous obviously !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links