Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis D4D 2.0 2004

Tintinn

Hi All,

I'll make it short and sweet as i think I know the answer already unfortunately.

My clutch has gone which would have been fine as it's only £300 roughly to get it replaced but I've now been advised to change the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) as well which bumps the price (including labour) up to about £700.

I know this is still quite cheap as I have a friend doing the work and I've been quoted over £1000 by garages but do I realy need to change the DMF.?

The cars done 140000mls.

Regards

Sven

For me it would depend on whether or not i intend keeping the car,?you say its done 140,000 miles Diesel i take it, which means its still got some life in the engine...is the DMF rattling at all showing any kind of wear,?have you considered fitting a solid flywheel in the car as they run out cheaper than the DMFs...

Horses for courses really You could go down the road of buying a DMF / CLUTCH KIT which can work out cheaper..see link..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-TO-2006-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-2-0-D4D-EXEDY-CLUTCH-DUAL-MASS-FLYWHEEL-UPGRADE-/360687755346?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53faaa6052

There was a monster of a thread on here recently about the relative benefits of DMF over solid, when to change, whether to retain the DMF etc. Have a search and a read. It may help you decide.

I decided that I was confused and hoped that I didn't have a DMF - and no, I don't really want to know whether I have or not at the moment.

thanks for getting back to me guys and I may be being stupid but how search for a particular thread as all I can see is the google search at the top.?

IMO, £700 for replacement of both is not a bad price.... have you noticed the DMF failing (ticketing at idle etc... )

also IMO, the car was designed to have a DMF,so stick with it.

I understood the 2004 Avensis has the 2nd generation style DMF's, which are much less prone to failure.... if you swap for a solid, you could add additional spike load the the gearbox it wasn't designed for.... end up with much bigger garage bills later!

I've been warned off these conversion kits and I do love my car (more than my wife but don't tell her) as it's been such a realiable car and it's great on fuel (5l/100km) and we drive it to Germany twice a year for family hols so I think I'll stick to original parts as i don't want to rock the boat, cheers Jumbojake. Just wanted a second opinion really of somebody neutral like not a garage who would swap the whole engine if the could to make more money if you know what I mean.

My friend also said that if it's not making any noise then we might not need to change it so I think I'm gonna risk it for a biscuit and leave the DMF alone.

He'll also have a closer look when he changes the clutch and I'll keep you posted so you should know later next week as I'm having it done Monday.

What do you mean by 'ticketing'

I've been warned off these conversion kits and I do love my car (more than my wife but don't tell her) as it's been such a realiable car and it's great on fuel (5l/100km) and we drive it to Germany twice a year for family hols so I think I'll stick to original parts as i don't want to rock the boat, cheers Jumbojake. Just wanted a second opinion really of somebody neutral like not a garage who would swap the whole engine if the could to make more money if you know what I mean.

My friend also said that if it's not making any noise then we might not need to change it so I think I'm gonna risk it for a biscuit and leave the DMF alone.

He'll also have a closer look when he changes the clutch and I'll keep you posted so you should know later next week as I'm having it done Monday.

What do you mean by 'ticketing'

sorry, typo .. .I'd heard there is a ticking nise at idle, might change when you engage the clutch.

Have a quick google for 'DMF failure symptoms' ... doesn;t really matter what card... pretty much same design.

One read had the following advise....

"A metallic banging noise will rise and fall in speed with engine revs, and will also sound different when the clutch pedal is depressed or released. Another sign to look for is a feeling of the clutch/DMF banging or 'jumping' as you change down through the gears (as it is failing to compensate for the increase in revs)."

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I opted to change the DMF in the end although I use 'opted' very lightly as I was more forced really, after we took it out and found it to be quite worn.

I even had to change the clutch cylinder behind the pedal which actually cheesed me off the most because it was fine except for 1 of the 'hook/pins' that attach it to the pedal had snapped off and nobody sells these seperately which is a big con in my eyes but that's probably the whole point from a manufacturers view.

The whole job cost me £850 all in and to be honest if I don't have any trouble with it in the next 5-7yrs I'll be very happy and consider it as money well spent as the car is now driving like a dream.

Thanks for all the feed back above it was much appreciated

Click on the "Via Google" button and a drop down menu appears, you can then choose to search forums, people etc

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers Kingo that makes it a lot easier although I still can't find that 'Monster Thread'.....

Maybe this?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145901-clutchflywheel/?hl=%2Bdual+%2Bmass

To be fair it has been discussed hundreds of times and there are many threads, type in DUAL MASS into the search box and search "Forums" you will see lots

Kingo :thumbsup:

That's great Kingo thanks for that and after reading everything on the numerous different threads I think I made a wise choice to change the lot. She's my baby and I look after her really well so it's only right that I do it properly and not cut corners. At the end of the day it carries the most important things in my life, my family, so I need it to be safe and reliable.

Regards