Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Tyre For All New Rav!

vivianM

Has anyone obtained the SpaceSaver tyre for their RAV 4-4 yet - I expected one from my dealer (and also a jack) early/mid June but no sign of one as yet.

I would hate to use the repair goo if I get a puncture.

Guy

Hi, am in the same position as you in that I've been waiting for the space saver.

Was informed by Kingo that they wont be available till next year at the earliest as the wheel kit has been manufactured but the skinny tyres that fit onto the wheels haven't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took delivery in early June with space saver and jack included. Had written into contract that it would have a spacer saver included and dealer contacted ToyotaUK before I signed the contract in mid May Toyota apparently said there was no problem.The space saver is fixed to the floor with a metal bracket to stop it moving. Unsure how this will be retrofitted as its welded to the floor.

On delivery dealer told me Toyota was now having difficulty sourcing the space saver.

Toyota could start offering the option of a full size spare with raised cargo floor ( see photo) . This option is available in Australia and Dubai. Despite loosing some boot space I would have opted for a full size spare.

Any one knows if you get get Australian Toyota parts in the UK?

post-132661-0-99443700-1372780935_thumb.

I think I should enter the lottery.

My dealer said they had just taken delivery of my Invincible (this was late April) and would I like to have a look at it in the compound. The salesman opened the boot when I asked if it had a spare. And yes,there it was, a space saver. Feathers could have knocked us both over!! I said to him (in jest) that I had seen it and it would be as rare as rocking horse doo doo, and it was mine!

Since then I discussed it with him about 4 weeks later and he said only 2 RAVshard turned up with SS wheels!

I don't know where this fits with other statements, I can only tell forum members what happened in my case.

Good luck to other buyers.

• Like 1

Really and with utmost respect to all posters........is it not really sad we are getting excited about having or not having a bloody spare tyre? Come on Toyota ya far king eejits.......is it something about tyres youz don't like? First the Runflat debacle, now the possibility of wheels in stock but nae blooming tyres to fit them.....? The bind moggles.........

Big Kev

• Like 1

Well I'm a bit hacked off now.

Was told on delivery of my new 4.4 at the end of March that a space saver would be available, at extra cost, come June/July.

Was also miffed that the new car didn't even come with a jack but was told that would also come with the space saver option so after giving Toyota GB a bit of a (polite) verbal in a phone call, decided to wait (what else could I do ?)

A couple of weeks ago was reliably informed that they wouldn't be available at until at least next year ! ! !

All this on a car with a list price of £30 k (not that that's what I paid, but potentially could have if my haggling skills weren't up to much)

• Like 1

Paul the space saver and jack came as standard no extra cost.

Dealer did say that the 2WD versions would not come with a space saver.

Due to customer feedback at launch Toyota decided to add a space saver to all new 4.4 Rav4 so Rav's built in March, April & May had spare wheels, now however the tyre manufacturers have run out of the required tyres due to " higher than expected global demand " they have now said that it will December before stocks will be up to a reliable level so Toyota have had to remove the space saver from the standard equipment from June production. If you are ordering or waiting for delivery your dealer can check to see if your order/ potential order is coming with a spacesaver.

This issue has also delayed the roll out of the accessory spare wheel kits that Toyota where rolling out for other Toyota models, it too has been delayed until the end of the year due to space saver tyre availability. At a dealer level we are also starting to have issues in getting hold of space savers, stocks seem to getting very tight at times.

Due to customer feedback at launch Toyota decided to add a space saver to all new 4.4 Rav4 so Rav's built in March, April & May had spare wheels, now however the tyre manufacturers have run out of the required tyres due to " higher than expected global demand " they have now said that it will December before stocks will be up to a reliable level so Toyota have had to remove the space saver from the standard equipment from June production. If you are ordering or waiting for delivery your dealer can check to see if your order/ potential order is coming with a spacesaver.

This issue has also delayed the roll out of the accessory spare wheel kits that Toyota where rolling out for other Toyota models, it too has been delayed until the end of the year due to space saver tyre availability. At a dealer level we are also starting to have issues in getting hold of space savers, stocks seem to getting very tight at times.

Usual honesty and accuracy from DA, but golly gosh....."due to customer feedback at launch....." Is that not a bit shutting the barn door (again) after the horse is two fields away? The amount of folks on here WAY prior to launch asking / demanding a spare wheel was surely hint enough...? It really does smack of the customer is always right.........sometimes......and as for the carrying thereof affecting mpg and emissions argument....ffs......two of the world's worst offending nations will likely get......a spare wheel. (Sorry Eire if that still affects youz.....)

• Like 1

Devon Aygo thanks for the update regarding the space saver issue.

On the Toyota blog the issue of the lack of a spare wheel was first raised in December last year. Numerous people wrote complaining and in February Oliwer the Toyota Rep wrote the following in response to some one who was cancelling their order

Oliwer Kmiecik says:

February 19, 2013 at 11:13

Hi Michael,

Very sorry to hear that youve cancelled your order and Id like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to Toyota.

As you know, the discussion around a spare wheel option has been a hot topic for us and it is in fact feedback from this blog post that will change the entire fleet from July production. Its testament to our customers feedback that such a change can take place and we have done this to provide customers with the best option possible.

This isnt a Dealer issue, this has been dealt with through Head Office in Epsom and has always been dealt with in that manner. The Dealer Network have been informed of the news, again having been instigated from this blog, and as of July all new RAV4s will come with a Space Saver.

Do let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

It now seems all RAVs prior to July had the spare and those after do not which is the complete opposite of what Toyota said originally.

Sorry Keith.....last sentence has confused me (easily done....). Is it not t'other way round.....?

That post above was my 3500th FGS !!!!! Just confirmed what Ma Mammy said.....ah can talk some rubbish......!!!!

Congatulations Kev. I have a long way to go to catch up.

Correct way round.

Toyota were saying in February that RAVs delivered from July would have a space saver due to pressure from potential customers. This was the reason I waited till May to make enquires. Thankfully mine came with spare in June after saying no spare no deal.

It now appears according to Aygo Devon that those RAVs being delivered from July onwards will not have a space saver. Complete opposite from what they were saying in February.

Is there a global shortage of space savers? or did Toyota GB get cold feet as once they make spare wheels available for one model other model potential customers may want the same with the added costs involved compared to a can of goo.

It would have made sense to offer the space saver or even the full size spare with raised cargo floor an optional extra (like the skoda yeti) to satisfy those that want more than the emergency tyre repair kit.

• Like 1

Really and with utmost respect to all posters........is it not really sad we are getting excited about having or not having a !Removed! spare tyre? Come on Toyota ya far king eejits.......is it something about tyres youz don't like? First the Runflat debacle, now the possibility of wheels in stock but nae blooming tyres to fit them.....? The bind moggles.........

Big Kev

People 'get excited' about no spare, cos if blow out in remote area = farrrrrrked

I don't have the spare problem, nice big 'un on 5th door, although the rattling cover is !Removed! annoying.

Really and with utmost respect to all posters........is it not really sad we are getting excited about having or not having a bloody spare tyre? Come on Toyota ya far king eejits.......is it something about tyres youz don't like? First the Runflat debacle, now the possibility of wheels in stock but nae blooming tyres to fit them.....? The bind moggles.........

Big Kev

People 'get excited' about no spare, cos if blow out in remote area = farrrrrrked

You may be reading the word "excited" in the wrong context, Keefster......I think it is a disgrace we should even have to be posting about the lack of spare wheels, that is ma drift when ye read onwardly. Also the reason both my previous SR180 and my current car have.....a sparey for long journeys....financed by masell.

I must say it is really disapointing that the SpaceSaver is being delayed - my dealer promised me both the wheel and jack free of charge and expected them June/July.

It is time Toyota got organised as there were issuse with the Invincible specification shown on their web site and what was actually delivered - when I contacted Toyota direct all I got was "specifications do change" from rather a supercillios young man!!

I cannot fault my dealer (RRG Macclesfield) who has been most helpful on all issues and they are the ones who get the hassle from us buyers of expensive vehicles. My Invincible was handed over on 5th March so it does not tie up with comment - all RAVs prior to July had the spare wheel.

AND best wishes to Big Kev - hopefully will see you sometime again in Derbyshire

Guy

Correct way round.

Toyota were saying in February that RAVs delivered from July would have a space saver due to pressure from potential customers. This was the reason I waited till May to make enquires. Thankfully mine came with spare in June after saying no spare no deal.

It now appears according to Aygo Devon that those RAVs being delivered from July onwards will not have a space saver. Complete opposite from what they were saying in February.

Is there a global shortage of space savers? or did Toyota GB get cold feet as once they make spare wheels available for one model other model potential customers may want the same with the added costs involved compared to a can of goo.

It would have made sense to offer the space saver or even the full size spare with raised cargo floor an optional extra (like the skoda yeti) to satisfy those that want more than the emergency tyre repair kit.

Back in February when Toyota said on the blog they where adding a spare wheel they where correct and march, april & may production cars included a spare, these have now arrived in the UK and are in stock and have already been delivered to customers, there are still cars available with a spare wheel but new arrivals from Japan are now arriving without a spare again.

The fact is someone in charge at Toyota GB made an error in specifying UK Rav4 for production without a spare wheel of any type under estimating the buyers demands, Toyota GB moved to fix this by adding a space saver to the standard specification to production earlier this year. Unfortunately the availability of space saver tyres has stopped this for the time being.

Devon Aygo

Do you know out of interest how long it takes for a car built in Japan to reach the UK and how often are the cars shipped ? monthly

Correct way round.

Back in February when Toyota said on the blog they where adding a spare wheel they where correct and march, april & may production cars included a spare, these have now arrived in the UK and are in stock and have already been delivered to customers, there are still cars available with a spare wheel but new arrivals from Japan are now arriving without a spare again.

The fact is someone in charge at Toyota GB made an error in specifying UK Rav4 for production without a spare wheel of any type under estimating the buyers demands, Toyota GB moved to fix this by adding a space saver to the standard specification to production earlier this year. Unfortunately the availability of space saver tyres has stopped this for the time being.

That is the galling thing. In the US, a spare wheel was on the spec from day 1. If they tried to sell it without a spare wheel there they wouldn't have sold any RAVs yet so to try and do so would have been suicide. I have said many times that the factory will make them painted with sky blue and yellow dotted paint if that is what TGB ask for so why can we possibly be in a situation where customers in the UK are wanting spares and have been since 2007 when vehicles in the US are rolling off the line with them on? Now to be told there is no stock is just derisory. There would be stock if somebody in the UK with a molecule of common sense had seen what was staring them in the face because the suppliers would have planned it. Somebody high up in TGB should get their P45 for what is a monumental error at the most basic level. They have obviously not checked what customers have been saying for years, what the US is selling and what any CRV customer would see if they lifted the boot carpet. Thick or what?

• Like 1

silly question of the day.... (that will be me then) will the space saver fit the older model i.e. mine X-TR with 17" wheels?

Gus

silly question of the day.... (that will be me then) will the space saver fit the older model i.e. mine X-TR with 17" wheels?

Gus

Naw, Gusterz.....totally different floor pan in US dimensions on the 4.4 allows the wheel to fit. You have a cross member in yer boot which precludes all but a toaty wee wheel. Taught by him above you.......

The wheel stud pattern and centre bore will be the same on old and new RAV, so if the tyre profile is the same on old and new (pretty sure they are), then the space saver will fit on the car, however you would be much better off with a full sized Spare though, as it will not actually take up that much extra room, especially as it won't go under the carpet anyway and have to sit in the load space.

As an aside, and this is something very odd to me, you may be aware Suzuki have reintroduce the spare wheel on the tailgate due to customer demand, and it has a cover, etc. But ..... What is under the cover is a space-saver wheel! The only logic for THAT must be to save the cost of an alloy wheel and a fatter tyre?