Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav4 Head Gasket

MeggieMoo

Much as I sympathise and I really do it is still out of warranty.. Yes of course 1 day but 1 day is out just as one month is......

I made a suggestion above. Get in touch with Toyota GB and insist that your complaint was registered with the dealer Before the warranty ran out ??? You had to wait a week ??

Sorry if this is not much use Megan but what else other than kind words can we offer ? It is a very valid point that Toyota extended the warranty where other manufacturer's would have done little or nothing....

The fact your car is out of this period is very bad luck indeed so my other suggestion of sending the car to auction could at least cut your losses ?

I know it is not the case, but in future, I think companies should consider having some kind of sliding scale of contributions in say the final year of a warranty, rather then a total cutoff. So full warranty maybe upto 6 years and then after that the customer contributes a percentage after that, which gets higher each week/month until the final year is up.

It would just make things a little more palatable maybe, so if you were out by 1 day on the "full" warranty, it doesn't cost you 100% of the repair, but maybe 5% or 10%?, and if you were totally out of time, instead of the make or break situation, at least you would feel you missed out on a lot less then £000s of pounds.

Just a thought for future situations to Toyota or other makers.

Back to the point, I would give a +1 to Charlie's ideas

I know it is not the case, but in future, I think companies should consider having some kind of sliding scale of contributions in say the final year of a warranty, rather then a total cutoff. So full warranty maybe upto 6 years and then after that the customer contributes a percentage after that, which gets higher each week/month until the final year is up.

It would just make things a little more palatable maybe, so if you were out by 1 day on the "full" warranty, it doesn't cost you 100% of the repair, but maybe 5% or 10%?, and if you were totally out of time, instead of the make or break situation, at least you would feel you missed out on a lot less then £000s of pounds.

Just a thought for future situations to Toyota or other makers.

Back to the point, I would give a +1 to Charlie's ideas

Good point, when I had Volvo's that was the system they used, I think it was called lifetime care. Get Volvo to do the servicing, and any repairs

needed were given a % of cost.

As above Meggie, I would also punt your car either through auction or through a dealer as a trade in as the dealer will punt it to auction anyway.

The quote system seems buggy today grrrr

That is exactly the system Toyota have in place already, however the 7 year policy on the 4AD engines is NOT an extended warranty. It is goodwill. The goodwill has to end somewhere, and for that matter, so does any warranty period

If you had a car that was 3 years and 1 day old, the dealer has a sliding scale he can apply where the customer / dealer/ Toyota contribute

There is no such sliding scale on the goodwill policy-sorry

Kingo :thumbsup:

The quote system seems buggy today grrrr

That is exactly the system Toyota have in place already, however the 7 year policy on the 4AD engines is NOT an extended warranty. It is goodwill. The goodwill has to end somewhere, and for that matter, so does any warranty period

If you had a car that was 3 years and 1 day old, the dealer has a sliding scale he can apply where the customer / dealer/ Toyota contribute

There is no such sliding scale on the goodwill policy-sorry

Kingo :thumbsup:

Aye.......wan short week with the Greeks on Rantosini....and we get back a philosopher !!!

You should live on Rant osini :lol:

Well named Irish moaner....Rant O'Sini........that's me.......

When the fault was recognised this week it was 7 years one day old. Toyota have said its tough as its one day out of the warranty. Yes you read that right, one day.

I might be tempted to argue that you booked it in within the warranty period - presumably you phoned up a few days before?

• Like 2

When the fault was recognised this week it was 7 years one day old. Toyota have said its tough as its one day out of the warranty. Yes you read that right, one day.

I might be tempted to argue that you booked it in within the warranty period - presumably you phoned up a few days before?

Ive said that above twice mate... In reality it is very likely to be the truth ? Though I would have a fair bet they will say diagnosis day will be the date taken..

Kingo. Could you please clarify the position on purchasing the "Opti fit engine ? Is this possible and if so what is the cost and the position regarding the large deposits we spoke about briefly last time this came up ? I get the horrible felling this wont be the last time so the information would help ! Thanks.

£7000 fdor an engin e ? FFFS etc etc

I can buy a brand new super=tuned 3SGTE for £3650 which will outlast and outperform anything else on the road. bammy prices for an engine that breaks within 8000 miles. Park on a hill, and then forget to put the handbrake on... I have a volunteer whos bloody good at that ! Front end of the Transit smashed in.... and 1 hedge flattened.

Bothy 7K is a lot of coin but this is a complex diesel engine after all....

Megan how are you getting on with this now ?...

Toyota asked for copy of service history, they couldn't fault it... Now they have just said tough. I said about 7k for new engine they said this is wrong and that they will reprice a reconditioned one for me, but otherwise see ya later...

It's now gone into another garage, they have told me nothing wrong with the car and engine is fine.

Poor service from Toyota.

Im confused... What exactly is your car doing .Or should I say what are its issues or the symptoms its displaying ? If the car is fine then confusion reigns...

The car went into Toyota for a service, they didnt carry out the service as head gasket was going....

Car has since gone into another garage and they have checked for water in oil, checked coolant etc and nothing is wrong.

Car has no warning lights on, drives like a dream... No loss in power what so ever....

Cowboys, springs to mind

Very pleased to hear this especially given the circumstances.. Sincerely hope garage 2 is correct. I would recommend using only quality diesel like Vpower or BP posh stuff whatever its called. This will reward with better MPG and will be far better for that engine..

Good luck !

If car has full service history and has now been diagnosed as no known faults, then it would be eligible if you wanted to take out an extended Toyota warranty (available up to 9 years old I think?).

This would cover the issue with the engine that the goodwill 7 year warranty was implemented for. Will cost a few hundred to take out, but will obviously cover everything in the car and provide top level of roadside/recovery assistance as well, so could be worth considering for peace of mind after this scare?

8yrs it's £850ish for 2 yrs covering upto 10000 miles per year but you can pay by direct debit @ £39.90 per month

B-A

8yrs it's £850ish for 2 yrs covering upto 10000 miles per year but you can pay by direct debit @ £39.90 per month

B-A

Is there some rule that you can not start/take out the warranty if car is older then 8 years, BUT if taken out before then it can actually run to 9 years? So could take out 2 years when car is 7 years old?

It may seem a lot of cash, but IMO will enhance the resale value if car sold with full warranty.

The rules have changed over the years but my understanding is that if the car is jst coming up to seven years old, you can extend by two years -but over 7 years only by one -ie the car will be covered to a maximum of 9 years old.

I don't know if this only works if the car has been continously under Toyota extended warranty -ie you may not be able to buy one from Joe Soaps used car emporium and then buy one.

it was my local stealer that told me it was 8yrs, i took it out because of having the remanufacturd engine fitted, and I don't have faith in the rav, but I'm stuck with it for the next couple of years, if it proves me wrong I will keep it longer as I love the !Removed! thing

B-A

it was my local stealer that told me it was 8yrs, i took it out because of having the remanufacturd engine fitted, and I don't have faith in the rav, but I'm stuck with it for the next couple of years, if it proves me wrong I will keep it longer as I love the !Removed! thing

B-A

Dealers are indeed limited to 8 years but Club Toyota (or whatever they're called now) on-line can warrant vehicles up to 10 years old. I've just renewed the Toyota warranty on our 54-reg with them.

I would imagine that if Toyota have the car on computer as having a failing or failed head gasket insuring by way of warranty might throw up problems in the event of a claim for said engine ??

I would take the car back to the Toyota Dealer who threw up the wrong (if that is the case and I hope it is) diagnosis..... If they have charged for the miss diagnosis (if that is the case and I hope it is)then they should either re asses the car OR offer a refund.. If of course a charge was made...

No point in paying a premium rate for a top warranty if a claim cant be made.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links