Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will My Iq Last For 130,000 Miles Without Major Problems ?

bobkneale

A Question for the far more experienced and knowlagable people on this forum:

Will my manual 1.0ltr 3 cylinder IQ run for 130,000 miles "plus" up to say a 10 year life span without major faults or problems ?

I ask because that is the distance I have managed to get up to with many other previous cars makes with regular basic services and looking after them very well over quite a few years ?

If not ? what major parts (if any) are likely to fail during this period and why ?

Is this too much to ask ?

Am I being realistic asking this of a modern 3 cylinder small engined car ?

What are all your views ?

All comments are welcomed.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

No reason why not with proper care and maintenance.

But as with everything and every vehicle.

They can be tested in all conditions, Temperatures and Fuel Types and oils etc.

But that is testers,

Real world needs cars to be 4 years old before you know how they are after 4 years.

Untill a model is 7 years old how can you know what a 7 year old car will be like as a looked after one or an abused one?

The Hillman Imp was tested all around the world, Hot & Cold regions,

Deserts etc, driven non stop.

They forgot to test it, House to work, House to the shops.

So it was a car that was a step up from a Mini, revolutionary really with the Water Cooled Rear Aluminium Engine.

They forgot about the Water Pump, Battery/alternator capacity, Kingpins etc when the car was used as meant for in the UK.

Scottish Winters etc.

So basically you are a real life Road Tester for Toyota as you pile on the mileage in the way you intend to and in your style of driving

and maintenance..

Maybe the engine will need a rebuild, rebore, new rings or pistons,maybe liners, maybe it will be bearings or pinions that fail,

or valves.

Life & car ownership is a lottery.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,etc Cylinder Motor Cycle & Passenger vehicle engine, Air Cooled or Water Cooled manage for huge mileages and others need regular replacement pistons, rings etc.

Over the years things change as does technology & materials, and knowledge.

george

• Like 1

I had a few problems when I bought my IQ but that was mainly down to the toyota dealer. In all the 7 or so weeks I had their car, I was given no impression that it would fail withiin many years of ownership, it felt solid, well made and well designed, right down to the gear ratios. The only thing I couldn't comment on is bodywork, we will just have to wait and see about that. If you have any reservations about my ownership, don't, despite what happened, I went out and bought another right away.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by major!

The VVTI's have proven to be solid engines and should be good as long as you look after it, service it regularly, don't abuse it too much (e.g. use it for bank robbery gettaways, Toyota Sprint Series time trials, rallycross etc.)

You will certainly have to replace the brakes, discs, clutch, Battery and other similar regular items. Possibly the exhaust too as that tends to rust up in older cars, esp. if you live near the sea!
But these are pretty normal things for any car.

No known issues with bodywork or the rest of the drive train or fuel system etc. as far as I know, although there was some recall regarding the clutch early on IIRC.

Had a quick look on Honest Johns, no major things of note, so I think you should be okay! :)

Thanks so far for all above comments, it would also be nice to also get feedback from Toyota Motor Corp them selfs.

I will wait in eager antisipation of a "official" or "un official" Toyota response !

Just a quick look on

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Shows the highest mileage car for sale on there is a 59 Reg Euro 4 emission engine and just under 70,000 miles

& a 2011 Reg Euro 5 that has done 68,000 miles.

Maybe anyone here with more miles done could say.

george

Slightly off subject, how can you tell if a car is Euro4 or 5

1) Think the springs are underdimensioned... specially the rear ones...They could easily break in time...speedbunps and so, I have put extra help-springs in the rear ones.....

2) The lifespan of the CVT? That is one uncertainty...

3) The catalyst... together with the "exhaust recirculation valve"...

4) Airco is a new smaller one... lifespan unknown..

Think the rest is just as any other car... electronics? / airbags? / brakediscs? / steering things? / bearings front wheels? / doormechanics? (like in cheap plastic gear wheels) /

Intresting comments in the above posts , re IQ life up to 130,000 miles, I believe that is should be a "given" that a modern motor car lasts at least that long without major parts being replaced.

Ooops Sorry that my "old head" on again, I remember the days when things were designed to last !

I'm starting to sound like my parents used to now !

Old age creeping on apologies !

Designed to last, That's a joke!

I have had various old cars over the years, Land Rovers mainly and yes, I can proudly say that every one I've owned is still is on the road but not through how well built it was, it's through how much maintenance I put in to it!

It was common practice on cars to change the oil every few thousand miles, adjust the carburetor, replace the points, plugs, coil, adjust wheel bearings Etc every 10 - 20K miles. I have fond memories of helping my Dad working on his cars what seems like every weekend repairing or replacing parts.

These days people have cars that they don't even know how to open the bonnet on and take it to a dealer once a year for a "service" There is no way any old 70's, or 80's car would put up that kind of abuse and still be running. Modern cars are built to far higher standards and quality than anything in the past and they are cheaper, cleaner and far more reliable.

Can't please some people. :laughing:

Craig.

Agreed - from the engine's perspective, its largely due to oil technology these days. Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic oil, even in 0/20 grade will provide protection so that there is NO APPRECIABLE engine wear if it is changed every 10,000 or 1 year. Thats not me talking, thats from the mouth of a highly respected motorsport organisation.

So i would bet that 130K would be no problem in theory. 500K should be no problem either. Its the ancillaries and consumables which you'll go through. Toyota bits are generally pretty good tho i think.

My IQ Oil and all filters will be changed by me every 5000 miles (or 12 months) only the best fully synthetic oil and Toyota approved parts will be used.

Everything else will be in accordance with Toyotas service schedual or perhaps even sooner.

My driving habits are those of a mature carful defensive driver (passed my advanced IAM test in 1998) I have a zero accident 40 year driving history and a clean driving licence (zero points) history spanning across various parts of the globe including the UK / Europe / USA / Asia / and various parts of Africa.

So taking all the above into account, and with a "bit of luck" I might reach 130,000 miles and still have a car that is almost as good as a new one.

That's how I have done it a few times before with other cars, so only time will now tell !

Positive Regards, Bob

Bob...i think it would be wise to touch wood, nevertheless! hah!

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a simple calculation !

As I only cover about 5000 miles a year in my IQ at the moment it will not be until year 2032 when I reach the 130,000 mile mark ! (that 19years time from now) !

If "Myself and / or my IQ" live that long I will post my experience on the IQ forum, if it still exists then !

• Like 1