Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Replacement Tyres

RelaxedDrive

Does anybody know what the recommended replacement tyres are for a Gen 2 prius? It's got 195/55R16 87V Bridgestone Turanzos ER30's on at the moment(original I think).

I tried doing a search online but tyres like the Bridgestone - ER300 ECOPIA seems to have 'E' for fuel consumption - so surely they can't be low rolling resistance!

Thanks for any help!

Yes, I've always thought it odd that Bridgestone don't sell a suitable tyre to replace the ER30.

It is normally suggested that people look on places like Blackcircles.com. I see a Good Year and Dunlop that have B fuel efficiency rating, A for wet grip.

Yes, the best I have found so far are:

Michelin Energy Saver+ , rated C efficiency, A wet grip

Dunlop Sport Blue Response, rated B efficiency, A wet grip.

The Which? Best Buys for 205/55/16's (nearest size in the latest test to 195/55/16's) were:

1. Continental PremiumContact 5 (Which? 70%) EU fuel consumption/rolling resistance rating C

2. Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse (score 69%) " " " " " " C

3. Goodyear Optigrip (score 69%) EU fuel consumption/rolling resistance rating A

4. Bridgestone Turanza T001 (score 66%) EU fuel consumption/rolling resistance rating F

I'm still of the opinion that the stupid 195/55R16 size was a legacy item from when they thought they could fit TPMS to the whole range, but then scrapped it to save money. Most tyres that size are runflats.

I'm still a big fan of the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos in 205/55/16, though I do have to watch out for clipping corners at high speeds...

I tried doing a search online but tyres like the Bridgestone - ER300 ECOPIA seems to have 'E' for fuel consumption - so surely they can't be low rolling resistance!

The 215/50 R17 Toyo Proxes R35 OEM fitment on my Prius+ are E rated for rolling resistance and I'm getting excellent mpg. Only 3-4 mpg less than my previous Gen3 Prius on the same journey at the same time of year last year, which was on 215/45 R17 Michelin Primacy C rolling resistance rated OEM tyres. The official mpg figures should be just under 6 mpg less with the Prius+ (Gen 3 T-Spirit 70.4 mpg, Prius+ T-Spirit 64.8 mpg IIRC). So I don't think it makes as big a difference as people make out TBH.

Looking at the Which? report on 205/55/16's, of the 14 tyres tested 13 were earned a score of 4 stars out of 5 for fuel economy. They also said that the best scoring tyres were up to 6% more economical. Based on a mileage of 12,000 a year and petrol cost of £1.32 per litre, this would give a possible £92 saving.

I have just put Toyo Nanoenergy 2 onto the front of our prius. They are rated at A for economy and C for wet grip. The tyres which were removed are rated as C for economy. I cant honestly say that I have noticed any change other than the Toyos being a little more quiet than the Hankooks.

I put Yokohama C.Drive 2 195/55/R16 V (87) on recently and am very happy with these. I purchased them from Blackcircle through Tesco tyres and had them fitted locally.

• 3 months later...

I'm also looking for new tyres for my gen2 prius,I'm not sure which one to go for,I am contemplating either Dunlop blue response or goodyear efficient grip performance.Yokohama c drive and nokian seems to have good reviews.what I am looking for is first low tyre noise and comfortable ride,as the prius has hard ride so any opinions very welcome.

thanks

Dunlop Bluresponse appear to be top dog atm..just had two fitted to rear replacing Pirelli P7 Cinturatos as technology had moved on since i got those fitted.

I'm also looking for new tyres for my gen2 prius,I'm not sure which one to go for,I am contemplating either Dunlop blue response or goodyear efficient grip performance.Yokohama c drive and nokian seems to have good reviews.what I am looking for is first low tyre noise and comfortable ride,as the prius has hard ride so any opinions very welcome.

thanks

Bear in mind that the EU tyre labelling for noise relates to measurement of external noise - the actual testing method is:

"The actual test consists of a microphone being set up on the edge of a track to measure the sound level of a test vehicle - the microphone is required to be 7.5m from the centre of the track and set at 1.2m above the ground. When passing, the vehicle must be travelling at 50 mph with the engine turned off for the test to be valid."

Which? said: 'While it will help drive noise levels down, we consider this less useful to owners, as it is based on a track-side measurement of exterior tyre noise. Most owners will never experience the noise from this perspective and are perhaps unlikely to change their choice based on this rating. Our own noise assessments are of more use to buyers, as they also consider interior tyre noise.'

How do they measure the noise inside the tyre ("interior tyre noise") and how is that more useful to the buyer? :lol2:

I wouldn't argue with Which's suspicion that most owners will never experience the noise from 1.2m above the ground, 7.5m alongside their vehicle travelling at 50mph with the engine switched off.

It would however be interesting to read the Which tyre noise results.

On an unrelated point, I was reading the Honest John column once and someone complained of a very noticeable flat spot on their car. It was a well documented phenomena, and allegedly the manufaturer had deliberately altered the throttle response from full chat to part throttle over a certain range so it would limit the exhaust and engine roar during acceleration and therefore just squeak into the EU driveby noise limits.

I wouldn't argue with Which's suspicion that most owners will never experience the noise from 1.2m above the ground, 7.5m alongside their vehicle travelling at 50mph with the engine switched off.

It would however be interesting to read the Which tyre noise results.

I thought the wording was worthy of a joke.

As to argument, I can think of a valid scientific reason why Which's testing is flawed, different cars will vary in the amount of noise dampening material they use, the Prius Hybrid is on the skimpy side (presumably to save weight and therefore improve fuel economy).

Road noise can also be due to the surface type rather than just tyres.

I find concrete can be extremely noisy, speed strips coming up to roundabouts noisy, but general tarmac pretty quiet.

SWMBO is looking for some for her Gen 2 and I found some Falken ZE-914, Label rating C for economy, B for wet grip and 70dB noise at around £70 a corner.

• Like 1

When a car travelling at 30 make hardly any noise other than the tyre noise, two things occur: the driver only notice the tyre noise and so any noise will seem loud. Pedestrians will only hear road noise which is the only indication of the presence of a prius approaching out of line of sight. Is a bit of tyre noise really such a bad thing?or would we prefer dead pedestrians plastered across the bonnet for the sake of making lass noise than a car door closing?

• Like 1

When a car travelling at 30 make hardly any noise other than the tyre noise, two things occur: the driver only notice the tyre noise and so any noise will seem loud. Pedestrians will only hear road noise which is the only indication of the presence of a prius approaching out of line of sight. Is a bit of tyre noise really such a bad thing?or would we prefer dead pedestrians plastered across the bonnet for the sake of making lass noise than a car door closing?

It is not an either or situation, and it is very deceitful to claim that our Hybrids will be decorated with dead pedestrians if we choose the least noisy tyres available on the market.

Oh no, I find it hard enough to clean dead bug juice off the front of the car, and the way they get embedded in the radiator grilles...

I can't bear the thought of having to clean dead pedestrian juice, or scrape them off the grilles.

On a more serious note, I had two occasions yesterday in different car parks where people were walking in the road and didn't realise I was behind them. Flashed lights, even though they reflected off buildings etc in front of them they paid no attention, gentle tap of the horn and they turn round and notice I am there and eventually move, but look at me in disgust as I drive past as if I am the one in the wrong. !Removed! pedestrians!

Some people pay no attention in car parks, allow their kids to run around, and I've seen people oblivious to great big diesel 4x4 pickup/SUVs right behind them. Please don't fall into the trap of believing that people step out in front of hybrid because it is quiet, ask any taxi driver who drives a diesel in town how many times they've experienced it. People are stupid.

• Like 1

just to say that finally got myself a new set of gen2 tyres,after lot of searching and reading posts on forum here.my old tyres were Michelle's energy saver on front and Bridgestone e30 on rear,size,195/55/16/v rated for speed.

my new tyres are Yokohama,195/55/16 h rated for speed.the change of speed rating has made the ride more softer but it seems the stiffness in handling has gone down slightly.I must say I liked the old taught handling,so it seems sacrificed handling for softer ride.has anyone experienced this and wot are the normal prius gen 2 tyre spec relating to speed.

thanks all