Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Oil

CraigyR

I have 8 litres of Castrol edge 5W30 that I bought for another car but thought I could use in my T180 when its due an oil change. It's ACEA C3, not C2.

Any risk in using it or is C3 better than C2 ?

I would check with Castrol technical, they are extremely helpful - I couldn't imagine it doing any harm, but I suppose toyota specify c2 for a reason, that's edge 0w30. Let us know if you email Castrol, I'd be curious to know for sure.

Cheers

I have 8 litres of Castrol edge 5W30 that I bought for another car but thought I could use in my T180 when its due an oil change. It's ACEA C3, not C2.

Any risk in using it or is C3 better than C2 ?

All I can say is this oil thing has become very very complex indeed ! I got my hands on 10 litres of Morrises multivis which was reccomended for the T180/SR180 and now apparently its not good enough..Mmmm

Castrol Edge is a very high quality oil and would have been considered way way good enough but now its questionable.......

I remain completely confused over this to say the least !!!

Found this online -

ACEA C2 engine oil is suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), this specification is very similar to ACEA C1 but with a marginally higher SAPS limit. ACEA C2 is for high performance diesel engines that require oil that’s low friction and low viscosity.

ACEA C3 engine oils are suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs). Very similar to C2 but without fuel-economy requirements. Frequently matches specifications for BMW and DaimlerChrysler diesel cars. ACEA C3 oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines.

Any thoughts?

Castrol EDGE ( VW 507 00) is a "Cracked" hydro carbon so not a true synth. The idea behind using a C2 spec over a C3 is the ash content (Better for the DPF) in the C2 is lower and better for fuel economy but has a lower TBN (Total Base Number) but similar VI (Viscosity Index) and Flash points to C3 specs.

The preferred grade for the T-180 is a 0w-30. I would stick to a C2 spec as a DPF can get clogged up with soot if C3 plus oils are used and are expensive to replace...

This is what I use in my car...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/motul/8100_Eco-clean_0W-30_(GB).pdf

For my number plate, Morris' website brings up the following;

Make

TOYOTA

Model

RAV4 2.2 D4D 4WD

Year

2005-2009

1st choice. Multilife C-THREE 5W-30

2nd choice Multilife VX 5W-30

Oil Change Intervals

Months Max 12

Miles Max 10000

Castrol EDGE ( VW 507 00) is a "Cracked" hydro carbon so not a true synth. The idea behind using a C2 spec over a C3 is the ash content (Better for the DPF) in the C2 is lower and better for fuel economy but has a lower TBN (Total Base Number) but similar VI (Viscosity Index) and Flash points to C3 specs.

The preferred grade for the T-180 is a 0w-30. I would stick to a C2 spec as a DPF can get clogged up with soot if C3 plus oils are used and are expensive to replace...

Is this the stuff Timothy ?? Where do you get it from ? I ask as I have the Jag to do and this looks like good oil at a sensible price ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-8100-Eco-clean-5W30-ACEA-C2-Peugeot-5-Litres-/200940143117?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2ec8f7420d

Is this the stuff Timothy ?? Where do you get it from ? I ask as I have the Jag to do and this looks like good oil at a sensible price ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-8100-Eco-clean-5W30-ACEA-C2-Peugeot-5-Litres-/200940143117?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2ec8f7420d

Eh up my mate :drunk:

Yer... That's the 5w-30 version of the stuff. If you go onto the powerenhancers web site you'll get a 20% off discount using "SUMMER20" I bought mine from there for £5.50 per Ltr. I also got this juice to put in the old girl! http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/417/archoil-ar9100-advanced-friction-modifier---oil-additive and she purrrrss along :driving:

That's seriously good stuff!

:thumbsup::yes:

Motul oils are the best on the market atm in my view... Full synths and double ester tech juice :drunk:

For my number plate, Morris' website brings up the following;

Make

TOYOTA

Model

RAV4 2.2 D4D 4WD

Year

2005-2009

1st choice. Multilife C-THREE 5W-30

2nd choice Multilife VX 5W-30

Oil Change Intervals

Months Max 12

Miles Max 10000

With a lot of the "Oil recommendation" finders you'll find that a 5w-30 is listed! But... For a T-180 a 0w-30 grade is best. This was pointed out to me by a member on here who works for Toyota UK...

More oil threads.......it is not really difficult, the problem lies with people wanting to put a better spec oil in the car. Better spec does not always mean better for the car

post-34014-0-01993100-1373013876_thumb.j

• Like 1

If you can buy better spec oils for cheap money then I say use it. Especially when cracked oils like Mobil 1 ESP and Castrol EDGE can be sometimes twice the price of a true full synth... Just my view

I agree, but we see threads everyday where people decide on an oil they want to use THEN ask is it OK for their car :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is if it meets the minimun spec, and the price is right etc, then use it

I need a holiday...................feeling tense today :lol:

I agree, but we see threads everyday where people decide on an oil they want to use THEN ask is it OK for their car :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is if it meets the minimun spec, and the price is right etc, then use it

I need a holiday...................feeling tense today :lol:

Lol... I think you need to go on your 5th holiday for this year now! :blow: :lol2: :naughty:

:thumbsup: Booked :D:

Speeding......? Drunk and Disorderly.......? Surely not the park and trenchoat trick, again......?

:eek: Caught with a selection of your "Gentlemans" magazines :naughty: