Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lc4 Oil Strainer

w321alxa

Hi can anyone tell me have Toyota upgraded or changed the size of oil strainer Thanks

No the oil strainer on your model was introduced in 2002 along with the introduction of Landcruiser 120 and is still in use on the current Landcruiser 150, why do you ask?

Hi D Aygo I had to get my LC4 engine rebuilt due to the copper injector washers being unsuitable & causing massive damage Piston Components had the engine stripped down & phoned Toyota enquiring if oil strainer had been upgraded & they refused to give them any Info PC have now rebuilt engine & once work is completed the final bill will be around £5,000 which I intend suing Toyota for failure in their duty of care by not advising customers of the problem when they were clearly aware of this problem . Thanks for your reply regards Alex

Ahh ok, was your Landcruiser part of the injector seal campaign ?

Unfortunately Toyota do not get to decide what is a Recall and what is not that's down to VOSA who in the case of the injector seals decided that it was not a recall, if they had Toyota could have got all the current owners info from the DVLA. Because VOSA said "no recall" all Toyota can do is issue a "Customer satisfaction campaign" via their dealer network & dealers could only contact customers known to them. Toyota even released the info to the press to get people aware, the press ran with it for a while but soon lost interest.

• 1 year later...

Own a 2005 LC4 97,000 miles - Had a recall from Toyota regarding Oil Strainer inspection - the outcome / conclusion was it was okay and was not offered to be changed under the recall - However having quizzed the service department at Pinkstones Toyota in Stoke on Trent I decided to have it replaced. The strainer was approx. £50 but to replace this the sump needs to be removed etc. Pinstones quoted me £430 OUCH! My local garage replaced to strainer on the next service the job itself took less than an hour. The condition of the strainer was partly blocked (I would say about 25post-144493-0-40428800-1419798022_thumb.% blocked) so well worth changing. I took photo's of the strainer just in case I have problems with the copper / alloy injector washers at a later date as which I understand are a related issue / problem. Hope this helps... Photo Attached

Thanks for the 'Heads Up' on this one, I will certainly ask Toyota to check when the LC is next serviced, or should I have it checked before?????

Own a 2005 LC4 97,000 miles - Had a recall from Toyota regarding Oil Strainer inspection - the outcome / conclusion was it was okay and was not offered to be changed under the recall - However having quizzed the service department at Pinkstones Toyota in Stoke on Trent I decided to have it replaced. The strainer was approx. £50 but to replace this the sump needs to be removed etc. Pinstones quoted me £430 OUCH! My local garage replaced to strainer on the next service the job itself took less than an hour. The condition of the strainer was partly blocked (I would say about 25attachicon.gifiq avccident 071.JPG% blocked) so well worth changing. I took photo's of the strainer just in case I have problems with the copper / alloy injector washers at a later date as which I understand are a related issue / problem. Hope this helps... Photo Attached

Hi Derek,

Was the replacement on your '05 LC or on the '11?

I ask because I've got a 2011 LC4 & wasn't aware that there was a potential issue.

Thanks.

Hi the oil strainer work was done on my 2005 LC4 - sorry for the confusion the 2011 reference is the year of my IQ not my Landcruiser. Worth having yours checked on the Toyota website - somewhere you can enter your reg number and it will state any recalls etc. Hope this helps Derek