Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil For T-Sport

Ape spec

Hi, My girlfriend bought our first toyota, a 2003 corolla t-sport 4dr with 46k on the clock, the car seems in a great condition for its age (although I'm probably speaking too soon, as we've had it less than a week) and tight as a drum.

A couple of newbie questions....

What sort of oil do you guys think I should be running based on the age / mileage?

Have any of you guys seen worthwhile improvements in mpg by using hi-octane? (v-power etc). for our first fill up we used regular 95 and I'm getting around 34mpg driving fairly conservatively. I had thought I might be better off with the v-power as I'm sure I read somewhere filling stations in Japan don't even have 'low octane' 95.

I'm under the impression the 1.8 has a timing chain rather than a Cambelt, am I right? As that could be an expensive mistake to make.

On a tangent, what tuning options are available? I know it's an overlooked warm/hot hatch with few mod options in comparison with a civic type r or a VXR, but are there any companies out there with a few bits and bobs available? As this lump comes in the celica and some lotus's I would've thought there were a few people out there tuning it.

On first impressions it appears to be a fairly highly strung motor with little scope for more power beyond expensive work like supercharging. To be honest most likely it'll stay standard (for example I wouldn't want a noisier exhaust than it comes with) apart from possibly a TRD panel filter (any good?)

Is there an toyota equivalent of the old apexi V-tec controllers to lower the cam lift point in the rev range, or am I just talking out of my **** about two completely different things?

I know the later, face lifted models had lower, stiffer suspension and handling mods, I won't be lowering it, as its our family car, not a street/track racer, but I do fancy a strut brace at some point. Where's the best place to go?

Anyone out there? Any advice very much appreciated, especially on the oil question as I'm not sure if I need fully or semi synth' or what weight.

As regards oil, the following topic is pinned at the start of the Corolla forum - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148387-engine-oil/

Believe the Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine was chain driven.

Limited response may have been due to the topic title just being 'Oil for T-Sport', whereas you have further questions on tuning, etc.

Yea its a chain, good for 100k before a tightness check.

I don't really notice any gains for high octane fuel to be honest, probably a little smoother acceleration if you reset your ECU. Petrol's so expensive at the moment, the regular stuff is enough to put a smile on your face. Where-as with the super charged version you don't have much of a choice unless you like pinking noises.

Not sure if there has been too much developed with regards to lift controllers, a lot of people have used power FC. You don't really get a huge amount of after markets parts for this car like with the Honda's. There are a least a few people on here that have uprated cam's for extra torque which seem to make quite a nice improvement, engine mod wise that's probably one of the cheaper options as turbo's / superchargers will cost.

You can use the official TTE strut brace in the pre-facelift with a little bit of gentle pipe bending, but there are plenty of other options available.

Maybe see a tiny tiny improvement from a panel filter, if you want proper gains you need a decent cold air intake. Some people remove the air snorkel, or change it to improve performance.. not tried this though so can't comment.

Oil is 5w 30, 46k miles isn't really too bad. People have had over 100k without any major issues so long as you keep on top of the oil changes, putting the wrong oil in though as some poor people have found out recently is pretty disastrous for this engine.

Thanks for the advice both of you. Much appriciated.

5w30 Mobil 1 super 3000. About 25 quid for 5 litres from Halfords. Stays golden and good for a very long time. Other oils ive used have been *******. There isnt much tuning potential but I bought one knowing I liked it enough. Couldnt stop laughing after the test drive. Much more fun than a 182 or mx5 IMO. Chain driven as already confirmed. And the suspension is fine. Ive done many miles at many miles an hour and I honestly dont have a clue what people are so upset about.

Thanks!

Went to toyota and bought a 'service kit' package consisting of oil filter, air filter,, spark plugs and toyota oil.

Thought I may as well fit genuine parts and make a fresh start as ive got no service history with the corolla.

Fairly pricy but hopefully worth it in the long run as now we're down to one car reliability is a must.

Bogsausage.... I know what you mean about the negative attitude surrounding the t sport.

I think it got compared very unfavourably with the clio 172 and civic type r on release, both very focused 'balls out' track ready, boy racer hot hatches. Whereas the t sport (in 4door guise at least) is a subtler more family friendly car with a jekel and hyde twist. Whilst not as fast or focused as a type r its definitely not the substandard package portrayed in reviews.

I think a fairer comparison would be the mk4 golf gti, against which it looks a pretty good competitor, depriciation notwithstanding.

I actually enjoy having a bit of poke under the bonnet without the boy racer image, although I do miss my old saabs 300ft lb of torque! That was a proper sleeper.

Some of those aero hot saabs look freaking mental.. but yeah I do agree.