Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D4D Noise When Pressing Clutch

George Q

Hi, I have a 2005 2.0 D4D that has recently started making a rumbling / vibrating noise when I press down the clutch. Gear change itself is fine and the clutch is not slipping. Can anyone advise me on what the problem might be? My local Toyota garage has told me the symptoms mean the car needs a new clutch but I'm not convinced. Can anyone please offer some advice? Thanks. Georgina

I would think the noise is either your clutch release bearing failing when the bearing is taking all the engine load i.e. when you press the pedal in or your dual mass flywheel is rattling when the flywheel is not loaded again when the pedal is pressed in.

In both cases the gearbox is going to have to come out and best practice would be to fit at least a new clutch and possibly a flywheel if it is the cause of the noise.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if this is something that needs sorting straight away or is it still ok to use the car?

Yep agree with Aygo, if the noise becomes apparent when the clutch pedal is pressed it will be the thrust bearing thats cream crackered. If it was the DMF you would have the low rumbling all the time just not when pressing clutch only.

?Whats the mileage on George

Does this sound worse when you are giving it some and you are changing from 1st to 2nd yours sounds just like the problem i am having but mine is a 2.0vvti

Mileage is just coming up to 75k. The noise is definitely more noticeable when changing from 1st to 2nd too.

had the same on an old SAAB ... the bearing was knackered....

• 3 weeks later...

Had this problem after having a new clutch fitted, high vibration/buzz coming through the clutch pedal if I rev over 4,000 rpm and change gear, everyone though it was the thrust bearing, but a complete new 2nd clutch was fitted and the problem is still there, nothing wrong with the first thrust bearing either. clutch still works perfectly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links