Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Beatsonic Shark Fin Aerial

ziggy15

Anybody fitted one to their IQ? If so how easy was it to do yourself and name of any UK suppliers with costs please. Many Thanks. Steve.

I'd be more worried about what it does to the radio reception rather than how easy it was to fit. I think the sensitivity of the aerial /radio tuner in the iQ is not very good to be honest - certainly not around here in the wilds of Wiltshire. Other cars I use don't seem to have the same problem - but then again they have a "proper" 4 foot metal electric aerial. I would be very reluctant to do anything that might make matters worse.

Thanks Dark Matter. Just done a quick google search of a few sites on performance, and to be honest there seems to be very little if any loss of signal from most reviews. It seems the coiled wire inside the Beatsonic just about makes it the same length as the original area anyway if that makes sense. As I don't use my car as a boombox etc I'm probably still looking to give it a go. Seems it is only a matter of turning the volume up a bit more, not actual interference to the signal. Beatsonic are around a £100 so I would expect a quality product, not like many of the imitations one can pick up for less than a tenner on eBay. They don't seem to be causing any problems on the GT86 forum either, so any replies/reviews welcome. Hopefully someone has actually fitted one. Cheers. Steve.

You may want to look at Taz's build on here. In the early stages he had a fin fitted. No info on performance. I can tell you that by replacing the original black rubber one with a short Beestinger design, i have lost, to be exact 21.075db's of signal. Meaning, 15 stations i could hear ( although noisy) i dont hear now. The other question, due to the short coil antenna it usually requires a powered pre-amp, which you will have to find a permanent 12v supply for or a radio switched supply. The pre-amp will introduce audiable noise as they are usually high gain to compensate for the lack of real aerial and produce cross modulation on the radio when strong signals are received. For info the length of a vertical aerial for the normal UK VHF FM band is 75cm at 100mhz so as you can see nearly all car aerials are a compromise.

David

Thanks Tarquin, some of it rather complicated for me anyway. I don't think from reading Taz's report that you need a powered supply. Did get the bit about the aerials being all a compromise though, as I'd read that elsewhere. Fensport do the GT86 version which apparently according to Beatsonic fits the IQ flush too. Only know as they don't do a burnt orange for the IQ as such, but Beatsonic have confirmed the GT86 version will fit. Anyway to cut a long story short, have ordered one from Fensport, (actually in black, out of stock but due in next week) and they have kindly offered it as sale or return as long as I look after the packaging. I will let everyone know whether they fit in due course, and the quality of the signal. My requirements to be honest are pretty basic, usually Smooth or Radio 2 daily, with the footie on Medium Wave at the weekend if driving. We didn't even bother retuning to anything whilst on Holiday in the uk this year, just stuck with CDs.

Cheers.

Hi

Well Radio 2 puts out 250kw. Pretty much pick it up with a drawing pin lol. May struggle with medium wave though. Suppose fitting will either require you to remove the old mount and connect to the original cable with an adaptor Or may connect to the original mount once the aerial is removed. Usually its held in place with double sided tape

Anyway good lick on the install

David

Thanks Tarquin. 2nd one actually, is just a case of removing aerial, no drilling etc,just one screw into old aerial thread. Does use double sided tape. There is a youtube link somewhere, hardest part seems to be ensuring it's lined up straight! Will keep all informed...............awaiting car, next week, 2013 ginger, awaiting aerial, supposedly in at Fensport next week etc. Goodies arriving daily for cosmetic tarts, e.g. scangauge etc and no I'm not rich. As posted earlier was debating between a GT86 and this with this as my final car as I'm 61 come September. Well I can't really afford a GT86, seems to be a few teething problems too, which I wouldn't want at that money, and anyway wife and son reckon I'll kill myself in it within a week. Probably won't with luck be my last car in this case, but it will be around a good long time, hopefully 7 to 10 years. Will post pictures in due course.

I have been using the Beat-Sonic Shark Fin antenna for over a year and have no loss in reception at all. It's a great fit and I think looks much better than the stock antenna.

This was the original one I installed, it is the same as the FR-S antenna...

DSCN0110.jpg

I then decided to go with the smaller antenna...

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1495.jpg

Thanks Taz, nice to see some pictures, and they do look rather superb to be honest, much better than the standard aerial. Have to admit from seeing both together rather prefer the smaller iq one myself, but not as readily available in the uk. I know I could order one from Japan even, but not sure what Customs will put on for tax here in UK and having already ordered the GT86 (FR-S) one I'm sure it will grow on me. Good also t0 know there is not a problem with reception. That also appears to be the case in the UK from what I can gather from those who've fitted them. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links