Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Washer Not Working !

domino4660

Hi all, would I be right in assuming that if the rear wiper is working ok, and the wash function does not work, that the fuse on this circuit covers both operations ?

I've checked all the fuses under the bonnet, and behind the glove box, also the ones above the throttle pedal, and all are ok.

So is the next step to remove the plastic wheel arch cover in order to access the pumps ?

And if the pump proves to be faulty where is the best place to source a new one other than my local Toyota spares department.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Gerry.

PS Avensis T Spirit estate.

• Like 1

The pumps are accessible via the wheel arch - swap the hoses around to confirm faults/blockage. Replacements are available from breakers on eBay for £15.

• Like 1

Thanks Gazza, much appreciated.

Gerry.

Universal pump on Euro Car Parts for under £8. Only question is how universal is universal?

Thanks Druid boy, much appreciated.

Regards Gerry.

I have just replaced my front washer pump. These are in a pair (front and rear washers) held together by a plastic clip that clips onto the washer bottle. Both pumps are the same so it is easy to check the wiring and switch by swapping over the terminals that clip onto the top of the pumps, just remember that to operate the rear washer then you need to press the lever so as to wash the front. The clip holding the two motors together need to slide upwards and be removed before you can pull out the faulty motor. When you pull out the motor with its rubber grommet this will drain the tank all over you if you are lying under it! If you buy second had try for a rear motor as this will be much less used than a front. The two motors are different colours but this is only for assembly line purposes. The plastic clip can become brittle so be carefull not to break it. Better still buy a pair in a clip. Takes about an hour.

Hi Spoutdreamer

Thanks for the advice, can you tell me how to remove the plastic rivets/fixings without trashing the liner in the process, are they drilled out or just prized out.

I will probably put a brand new pump in rather than a reclaimed one, and thanks for the tip on the risk of a downpour.........

You only have to remove the 2 body screws at the inner side of the top liner behind the suspension leg and the one bottom screw where it joins to the bottom of the front wing and the inner arch liner will bend back and hook against the brake caliper out of the way. You also need to unfasten the 2/3 body screws on the undertray and one small nut underneath and the tray will drop for you to get at the washer pumps. There is no need to touch the plastic rivet/clips that fasten the wheel arch inner liner to the wheel arch rim.

As I broke my pump clip which seems to be fairly brittle plastic, I would also try and get one if they are cheap. I used lots of washing up liquid to lubricate the outside of the pumps to get the clip down on the pumps and clipped into the washer bottle moulded slot. Good luck with it!

Thanks Spoutdreamer , thank you for taking the time to explain the procedure, much appreciated.

Regards Gerry.

I don't know if this helps or not but thoufght I would share my experince and who know it may help you save some money.

I drove to Germany at the beginning of the year to visit my family and the rear washer stopped working on my 2004 Avensis D4D so when I arrived my dad grabbed an air hose (he has a fully equiped garage lucky me) and blasted some air down the nossel where the washer sprays out of. This seemed to clear some kind of blockage and it's been working ever since.

• 5 years later...
On 7/16/2013 at 4:16 PM, Tintinn said:

I don't know if this helps or not but thoufght I would share my experince and who know it may help you save some money.

I drove to Germany at the beginning of the year to visit my family and the rear washer stopped working on my 2004 Avensis D4D so when I arrived my dad grabbed an air hose (he has a fully equiped garage lucky me) and blasted some air down the nossel where the washer sprays out of. This seemed to clear some kind of blockage and it's been working ever since.

Thanks for the tip!

Chanced my motor yesterday but didnt spray, took an old toothbrush and cleaned the nozzle, blew it and it started to work. 

Easy change, just pop it out its socket and replace it. The crappy plastic surrounding the family transporting container is a nightmare i discovered, im supriced it holds together at 100mph...

bjCmUmeWRP2Z2IvTENXH3w.jpg

iWOy+toiQTuyhre8sxMggA.jpg

Edited by Swedencalling
Adding a picture