Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 3 Prius Just Turned 100K Miles

thedeanobeano

So my May 2010 registered T Spirit has just hit 100k miles.

I have quite enjoyed the last 3 plus years in this, my second Prius (first was a 2008 Gen 2).

A brief summary of costs so far are as follows:

Fuel - average MPG as logged (over 98,907 miles) 56.9 at a cost per mile of 10.4p.

Tyres - fronts have been changed twice with lots of mileage left in the current set. (average 40k miles per set, barring punctures). Rears have been changed once, I think at around 70k.

I have stuck with Primacy HP, as I have heard that mileage can be affected if using cheaper brands (HP are approx £150 per corner).

Servicing has just been routine stuff. I had the air intake and ECU mod about 60k ago for the damp start knock. Despite this, it has still done it a few times since. My local Toyota dealer is going to something else to fix this (will let you know what it is when or if it happens).

No other issues to report - I took out a two year Toyota extended warranty when the car reached 60k, no claims made on this so far.

Car is now worth 6-7k according to Toyota against a new one so will be keeping it and see how it goes.

Nice one! Good to see that the doom-mongers can eat humble pie once in a while :-)

Congratulations, well done!

I think that history would stack up pretty well against some of the run-of-the-mill family hatches that the car magazines drool over so much.

Very nice. I've read that the German magazine "Auto Motor and Sport" tested the Auris HSD mark one for 62,000 miles. Zero errors or problems. Very pleased with that given I'm likely to buy and Auris Touring Sports hybrid very soon albeit that one will be Auris mark two. However, from what I understand, a lot of parts have been carriedover from Auris mark 1

It doesn't matter which manufacturer you look at, 90% of the time there is usually a degree of carry over from a predecessor to a replacement. Toyota do this, VAG do this, etc.

Only 32k miles on our new (to us) 2009 Gen III Prius. I was aiming to keep it until it's done 100k miles. Clearly that's easily done. Maybe I should aim higher? :)

As long as you can put up with the poor driving position/seat, rattling dashboard, and iffy radio reception - then go for it!

Still love mine, warts and all! :)

The driving seat is OK. It has a fair bit of adjustment but it can take a while to get the optimum setting.

Rattles - 3.5 years on and I'm still fixing them. The older it gets, the more that come out of the woodwork (or should that be eco plastic?). Got myself a pack of assorted sticky felt pads from Morrisons for a pound. They are great.

Radio reception. I hear ya on that one but the facelift Prius has an extra aerial to help combat this.

But look on the bright side - fuel bill halved, car tax slashed, relaxed driving, hill start assist, HUD, etc...

I was aiming to keep it until it's done 100k miles. Clearly that's easily done. Maybe I should aim higher? :)

I am aiming for 10 years, 200K miles.

Haven't noticed the driving position before, now I've thought about it, I probably won't be able to get comfy! We have the infamous dash rattle (or one of them?) I pointed this out to Mrs Oilburner - mentioning that I'll have a go at fixing it, and she said "rattle, what rattle?" . Clearly not a problem for her.... :D

I realise that the driving seat problem is very much subjective - I've had back problems for decades - but never had any discomfort with my previous Avensis, so the Prius is a big disappointment in that area. One particular niggle for me is the position of the throttle pedal, it somehow feels too horizontal, odd but true, and again subjective of course.Obviously cruise is a great help when able to use it.

I find I can only drive the car for an hour or so, then back discomfort starts to flare up, resulting in Mrs.Duffryn having to take the wheel for a while.

Running costs are great - 10.4p per mile (via Fuelly) for my first 3500 miles with the car. Just a shame about that damn seat.......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links