Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Detachable Towbar For Cycle Carrier

zipppydj

Hi All

RAV4 62 PLATE - no wheel on rear door

I have just asked my local Mr T for a quote for a removable tow bar (I want to use it for a cycle carrier) and I hope you are all sitting down to read this:

Removable tow bar £920.10 - including fitting & electrics + £285.98 for a 2 bike carrier

Just for info (Fixed tow bar £720.00 including fitting & electrics)

If I purchased the parts from them and had them fitted by someone else they would be:

Electrics - £113.42
Tow bar - £401.26

so about £400 labour if they did the fitting based on the above quote

I know I can get a tow bar fitted a lot cheaper elsewhere (Witter for example £461) but don't want to risk invalidating the warranty. Witter mention a bumper cut but Mr T advised me this would invalidate the body warranty, plus I don't want a bumper cut anyway. Non Toyota electrics would invalidate anything electrical. If I had the genuine parts fitted by someone else would have to prove they were fitted by a reputable company and could still be challenged if I had a warranty claim.

They did offer me 10% disc on parts.

Any advice gratefully received for any other options. Roof bars not an option.

Many thanks.

are you sure your Toyota dealer won't be cutting the bumper ?

Not in the slightest surprised at the prices, it's a cross Toyota owners must bear.

I asked if the bumper would be cut and was told no.

Labour rates work out to be about 3.5-4 hours of labour going on current labour rates

Alex

I had one fitted by indespension earlier this year, removeable with no bumper cut for a nadge over £400 this included the Toyota wiring loom, so no cutting and splicing.

Gus

For my 4.3 (2007) I could have had a Thule removable bar fitted for around £500 . . . The Toyota one is a rebadged Thule ;)

I actually went for a Witter detachable in the end

And as for Bike Carriers I found The Roof Box Company To be really Helpful I went for a Moose 3, which appears to eb no longer available but there is a Moose 2 which is quite cost effective

Thanks Gus and Tony,

Gus - did Indespension fit a genuine Toyota towbar or another make?

I'm just really concerned about giving them any excuse to invalidate the warranty.