Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Again!

JerryB

Hi folks - i'm sure you're all sick to death of EGR posts and maybe may answer is somewhere on the forum (but i can't find it as yet).

Anyway - a while ago my 2008 Avensis 2.0 D-4D was a bit lumpy so I cleaned the EGR - the difference was phenomenal. Then after only some 4000 miles - started flat spots, black smoke etc. Cleaned EGR again (although there was very little soot this time having been cleaned 4000 miles ago) and car back to normal, no flat spots, really smooth , increased mpg. Now after a further 1200 miles it

now feels like it needs doing again (engine not pulling, bit of smoke etc.) I'm sure it's the EGR again. What am I doing wrong? Not very confident to undo the solenoid - is this easy? - is it needed to check if the valve is closing properly? how do you check if the valve is closing properly?.

Had new engine with i presume new egr about 14 months/13000 miles ago. Should my EGR, if faulty, be replaced by Toyota under any new engine guarantee?

Hope someone can help, thanks, Jerry

Did you change the gasket when you clean the EGR? If not try with a new one. It will cost no more than 10 pound I presume.

Did you change the gasket when you clean the EGR? If not try with a new one. It will cost no more than 10 pound I presume.

Hi, thanks thats very interesting.

No didn't change the gaskets as i thought as they were metal there was no need.

It's very strange because after taking off the EGR and cleaning (actually not much soot in it at all) and putting it back together again, the car is going superbly again so not sure if my EGR is faulty or not. This is the third time this has happened - car goes from almost undriveable, then take off EGR and clean and then the car goes superbly again (but for how long?).

Could it be the gasket failing after a few thousand miles and then 'reseating' for a while when I take the EGR off and back on?

Any thoughts?

Best way to try is just to take of and put on the EGR, without cleaning it. If it changes again to good than you can try with a new sealing. A sealing it self needs to be changed every time when you take something off. Otherwise you will always doubt in it.

Other thing do you fiddle with the solenoid when cleaning. It may be stuck and when you clean it, you unstuck it for a while.

Best way to try is just to take of and put on the EGR, without cleaning it. If it changes again to good than you can try with a new sealing. A sealing it self needs to be changed every time when you take something off. Otherwise you will always doubt in it.

Other thing do you fiddle with the solenoid when cleaning. It may be stuck and when you clean it, you unstuck it for a while.

Very helpful, thanks very much - really appreciate your advice,

Jerry

If you don't also clean out the manifold pipe the problem with your EGR valve will just get worse and if the carbon build up is where it joins the engine make sure you use a vacuum whilst cleaning that area.

Regards Pete.

Hi folks - i'm sure you're all sick to death of EGR posts and maybe may answer is somewhere on the forum (but i can't find it as yet).

Anyway - a while ago my 2008 Avensis 2.0 D-4D was a bit lumpy so I cleaned the EGR - the difference was phenomenal. Then after only some 4000 miles - started flat spots, black smoke etc. Cleaned EGR again (although there was very little soot this time having been cleaned 4000 miles ago) and car back to normal, no flat spots, really smooth , increased mpg. Now after a further 1200 miles it

now feels like it needs doing again (engine not pulling, bit of smoke etc.) I'm sure it's the EGR again. What am I doing wrong? Not very confident to undo the solenoid - is this easy? - is it needed to check if the valve is closing properly? how do you check if the valve is closing properly?.

Had new engine with i presume new egr about 14 months/13000 miles ago. Should my EGR, if faulty, be replaced by Toyota under any new engine guarantee?

Hope someone can help, thanks, Jerry

What engine oil are you using?

Do you know if its is a low ash oil? What type is it? A 5w30 C2 low ash oil such as Mobil 1 ESP or Total Quartz will go a long way in helping keep the egr valve clean

Thanks, not sure about the type oil -

Try to use Shell or Esso or Bp occasionally use supermarket -

Just a weird frustrating problem- car fine for a couple of thousand then almost undriveable - clean EGR as thoroughly as i can - car then fine again. Will try new gaskets next time then if still no joy will have to take to MR. T who will probably change EGR (£300?)

Thanks for your haelp

Thanks, not sure about the type oil -

Try to use Shell or Esso or Bp occasionally use supermarket -

Just a weird frustrating problem- car fine for a couple of thousand then almost undriveable - clean EGR as thoroughly as i can - car then fine again. Will try new gaskets next time then if still no joy will have to take to MR. T who will probably change EGR (£300?)

Thanks for your haelp

I strongly recommend changing your oil to a low ash 5w30 oil, this will certainly help keep your EGR clean and as your car is 2008, id expect it to have a dpf - this oil is ideal and very reasonably priced on eBay http://www.total.co.uk/en/lubricants-automotive/automotive/lub-advisor.html

Keep using branded fuel and give it a good revving every so often, i reckon this will solve your problem without going to the expense of replacing parts.

Just to reinforce T-Spirit Pete's post: unless you clean out the pipework as well as the valve the problem will not be solved. Have you cleaned the pipes out?

Hi, thanks for your advice - thought I had cleaned the pipes ok although if i'm honest i didn't pay as much attention to them as i did to the valve. If/when it happens again i'll double check the pipe. Do you think the gaskets being reused could be an issue? I will fit new ones next time.

Also I have had a discussion with Mr. T who swore blind that if my EGR was failing or sticking then I would get an engine warning light! (no lights so far)

Best Regards, Jerry

It is good practice to replace the gaskets but if, in your opinion they are in good condition, you can get away with a bit of gasket compound. Depends how expensive the gaskets are really. I prefer to use new ones.

I don't think they would be responsible for your symptoms though.

Hi, thanks for your advice - thought I had cleaned the pipes ok although if i'm honest i didn't pay as much attention to them as i did to the valve. If/when it happens again i'll double check the pipe. Do you think the gaskets being reused could be an issue? I will fit new ones next time.

Also I have had a discussion with Mr. T who swore blind that if my EGR was failing or sticking then I would get an engine warning light! (no lights so far)

Best Regards, Jerry

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/92424-1-6-hdi-oil-lubrication-maintenance-avoiding-problems.html

I urge you to change to a 5w30 low saps oil (now recommended by Toyota) if you are not already doing so, just look at the difference on that link which shows 2 egr valves, one using low saps oil and the other not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links